The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-03-2019, 06:07 PM   #26
SCOTI

Re: "Dixie" 1988 Chevrolet V30 3+3 Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by focusedontheprize View Post
The objective of the truck is to update with modern amenities and to have the truck handle well enough that my wife can jump in and drive it without a problem.

I end up going with a Redhead Steering box and PSC power steering pump. There was a topic started by a forum member around Redhead's boxes and all of the reviews I had read on them said nothing, but great things. The truck will have 35s or 37s in the end, so I am planning to add a hydraulic assist this year and wanted to make sure the pump and gearbox were setup for it already.
I'm glad I checked your updates. I considered the Redhead box replacement/upgrade for my dually after reading others good stories on their half ton trucks. But, I never investigated if they had anything for the HD trucks. Seems they do.....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 09:11 AM   #27
focusedontheprize

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
I'm glad I checked your updates. I considered the Redhead box replacement/upgrade for my dually after reading others good stories on their half ton trucks. But, I never investigated if they had anything for the HD trucks. Seems they do.....
Glad it helped. I had searched across the internet and see a lot of HD trucks running it. I also had the chance to speak to a local shop here that works on a lot of 3/4 ton and dually trucks and the service manager had said he has only had great experiences with them, so fingers crossed.
focusedontheprize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 10:52 PM   #28
focusedontheprize

I have been slacking on this thread.

Work has been keeping me on busy, so it has been a lot of ordering parts and prepping. The Vintage Air unit was charged and has been blowing ice cold. Moving on to the steering.

Redhead box had arrived. I also planned to upgrade the powering steering pump to PSC 1405h unit with a cooler, remote reservoir, and remote fill while I was in there.
Old 08-04-2019, 10:58 PM   #29
focusedontheprize

This morning I started pulling everything apart. I will be going back with a hydroboost setup on the truck. The Redhead steering box is also ported for a ram assist setup down the road.

The original box
Attached Images

Old 08-04-2019, 11:03 PM   #30
focusedontheprize

While I was changing the steering box out I decided it would be wise to install a steering brace. The truck will have 35s" installed in the coming weeks so I decided to do it now. This is ORD's steering brace and you can instantly tell how much it beefs everything up. After I had that in, the Redhead box fell right into place. I am really excited about testing this steering box out, I have heard great things.
Attached Images

Old 08-04-2019, 11:11 PM   #31
focusedontheprize

The power steering bracket from the factory setup was not in great condition. The bolts were stripped out and the pulley split when I pulled it off. In addition to a power steering pump, I looked around for a new bracket kit.

Here is the ICT Billet power steering bracket. It fit great on my big block and is stout. I am waiting for my new power steering pulley before putting it on.
Attached Images

Old 08-04-2019, 11:21 PM   #32
focusedontheprize

While I wait for my power steering pulley I decided to start the steering shaft upgrade. SCOTI has been going through this upgrade (http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=505196&page=2) the last week and I have been following along closely.

It is always great when someone has the answers to the exam. If anyone is wondering - the steering shaft is the Crown Automotive Steering Shafts 4713943 from Summit Racing. I am going to finish it up this week.
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2019, 09:05 AM   #33
Mpiersd

Looking good. I like how much stronger everything appears to be over the stock components.
Mpiersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 10:15 AM   #34
focusedontheprize

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpiersd View Post
Looking good. I like how much stronger everything appears to be over the stock components.
Thanks. The truck is going to be my daily eventually and I wanted it to be as strong as possible. I have yet to be disappointed by the products I have ordered - most of them come from recommendations from others on the board so it has made life a bit easier.
Old 08-05-2019, 11:32 AM   #35
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by focusedontheprize View Post
Thanks. The truck is going to be my daily eventually and I wanted it to be as strong as possible. I have yet to be disappointed by the products I have ordered - most of them come from recommendations from others on the board so it has made life a bit easier.
Been waiting to see some upgrade updates.

On the shaft swap, watch the hardware (threads) if you don't file anything off the gear-box or column stub. The supplied hardware would work but it wanted to gall my SS stuff. After seeing both types galled, I would file the ends of the box/column shafts if possible or do what I did w/slightly smaller dia hardware. The box end is easy enough to access for filing but the column end on mine would have required more effort.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 08-05-2019, 11:50 AM   #36
Mpiersd

What do you mean by filing off some material? Cast flashing or cleaning up the edges before assembly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Been waiting to see some upgrade updates.

On the shaft swap, watch the hardware (threads) if you don't file anything off the gear-box or column stub. The supplied hardware would work but it wanted to gall my SS stuff. After seeing both types galled, I would file the ends of the box/column shafts if possible or do what I did w/slightly smaller dia hardware. The box end is easy enough to access for filing but the column end on mine would have required more effort.
Old 08-05-2019, 12:23 PM   #37
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpiersd View Post
What do you mean by filing off some material? Cast flashing or cleaning up the edges before assembly?
No, not casting flash. Where the hardware threads through @ the ends of the new shaft.

The steering box end of the new XJ shaft is the same arrangement, but the metric hardware barely clears:
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 08-05-2019, 01:02 PM   #38
SCOTI

Column end:
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 08-06-2019, 02:27 PM   #39
Mpiersd

Ok, I see it now.
What I've done on aviation applications is center drill a hole in the outer shaft, put a counter sink in the inner shaft then file the hardware to a point so that it is seated in a hole without protruding through to the other side.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:12 PM   #40
focusedontheprize

Thanks again SCOTI. The driveshaft will be a project this week to finish.

Went to install my new power steering pulley and found that it interfered with one of the heads on the bolts. I ordered a replacement OEM 2 groove pulley from Summit that should be here tomorrow. Also ordered the power steering fluid for the unit. I am looking to get this wrapped up this week and move onto the next project.
Old 08-24-2019, 04:43 PM   #41
focusedontheprize

I finished up the power steering project a couple weeks ago.

I laid the parts out on the bench to get started. Along with PSC's power steering pump for my hydro boost system, I also went with their remote reservoir, cooler, and remote anti-splash fluid vent. It was a package that 4 Wheel Parts was offering for a short period of time and was a great deal.
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2019, 04:46 PM   #42
focusedontheprize

I tried to keep everything clean looking and very serviceable. PSC recommends trying to keep the filler line as short as possible and gravity fed. I fabricated up a small bracket and attached it to Vintage Air's compressor bracket. Unfortunately when I was painting the bracket the temperature did not cooperate, so I will have to remove it and repaint it once I have time for the smaller parts.
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2019, 04:55 PM   #43
focusedontheprize

The last component to the steering upgrade was finishing the upgrade from the rag joint to the Jeep shaft. I followed SCOTI's explanation on the Jeep Shaft installation. I end up putting a set screw in the shaft to tighten everything up and make it serviceable. Like the power steering reservoir, I will repaint the steering shaft.

Next up - wheels and tires
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2019, 05:04 PM   #44
focusedontheprize

Wheels and tires have been a focal point for the last month. The truck now rides much better, however the tires have been showing their age and I was not crazy about the wheels. To the internet I went to source suitable substitutes.

I really like the Fuel Maverick D436 wheels since they are Matte Black.

Unfortunately those wheels are stud centric and not hub centric which is what I need for the truck so back to the drawing board.
Old 08-24-2019, 05:10 PM   #45
focusedontheprize

After talking to Fuel they said they offer Mavericks (D538) as hub centric which is what I needed. Unfortunately they come milled and could not be pulled early off the assembly line to prevent this.

So there was no other choice - I ordered the D538s. Friday afternoon I received the call they had arrived and I transported them directly to powder coating. They will be coming back in 2 weeks in matte black. They will be getting wrapped with Toyo Open Country tires.
Attached Images

Last edited by focusedontheprize; 08-24-2019 at 05:22 PM.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:26 PM   #46
focusedontheprize

Wheels were completed on Wednesday, so the powdercoater was nice enough to drop them off at the shop where they will be mounted. I was a little concerned because I wouldn't be able to put eyes on them before they mounted.

Then I received the text: "Oh these look awesome". So that is a relief.

The tires also arrived on Wednesday so now we should be cooking with gas. Hopefully by Friday Dixie will have a set of new shoes.
Attached Images

Old 09-05-2019, 01:34 PM   #47
focusedontheprize

Thanks to all the responses to the "Purchase BB exhaust manifolds" post I moved forward on sourcing a new set along with the Flowmaster 70 Series mufflers. The truck currently has Flowmaster 40s on it that do not extend to the rear, but either way I wanted the truck as quiet as I could get it. The truck will be heading in for exhaust next week while I am traveling.

My buddy sent me this yesterday when I told him about the project. This at the moment is my favorite meme template.
Attached Images

Old 09-16-2019, 07:56 AM   #48
brut

cool projekt, love the truck , please check PN
brut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:18 PM   #49
focusedontheprize

Quote:
Originally Posted by brut View Post
cool projekt, love the truck , please check PN
Thanks brut!
Old 10-07-2019, 09:21 PM   #50
focusedontheprize

I have been working on the truck on and off, but now am back on it full time.

After I replaced the power steering pump, I noticed a small weep underneath the hydro boost. I imagine since the hydro boost system was operating so efficiently, those 30+ year old seals couldn't hold back the fluid like they use to. I end up doing a complete reseal kit on the hydro boost unit and installed a new master cylinder. Unfortunately I didn't take any photos, but it was a good step ahead.