The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-25-2012, 04:26 PM   #26
snacks

Re: How low is too low? (Static Drop)

im 6 1/2 in front with 215/70/15 but i left the bump stop and shaved the rubber down so on really hard bumps there is somthing to stop the travel or the a arm will hit the ground
Attached Images

snacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:55 AM   #27
Tom
driving is in my blood

I had my old 79's control arms about the same height off the ground as the op with 255/60/15's. I drove that thing everywhere for a couple years. Only took out one pair of control arms the entire time! Rode great though, handled good and looked awesome.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:51 PM   #28
northeimcustom

i wish i was that low, just be a cautious driver and you will be fine.

looks awesome!
northeimcustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:53 PM   #29
tubbedII
needs more $$$

I'm with everyone that it looks great at that stance...but I'm also with the guys below. I don't know anyone personally that's had this happen, but I've seen the devastation that happens from online pics when an arm catches a man hole cover/ridge in the road and it would worry me too much to drive it. Not only for the sake of the truck being totalled, but also for my own safety and my passengers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringoloco View Post
Tube arms and a taller tire- or do the PBDM, if you have the $. Truck looks sweet, but if you catch one of those arms on something, you might/will destroy it. I've seen frames folded like origami...
Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
If it were me, I would try changing to a different coil. I have never had good luck with 3" coils. I would go with a stock coil cut, or a 2" drop instead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringoloco View Post
Mine is a similar drop (3" spindles, 1" coils with a round cut), but I'm running a 28" tall tire to keep the arms up off of the ground and I still would like some more clearance. Seeing the devastation that is caused by hanging an arm, even at low speed, worries me...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-05-2012, 02:57 PM   #30
made2drag

i'd say you needed 1 more inch of clearance to be safe. you could go up a little in tire to gain a little more clearance or you could take the truck to a muffler shop and have them add a 1/4 inch skid plate under each lca. something that would be a tad angled in case it need to slide over a dangerous lip of some sort. it would also strengthen the lca
made2drag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:54 PM   #31
KevinsKustoms

I'm running 5.5 drop in the front of mine, and had the same problem. I bought energy susp. front bumpstops and cut them in half. It made a huge difference. no more tire rubbing inner fenders
KevinsKustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:40 AM   #32
sanford66

Nice looking truck, perfect stance! I'm running a similar setup in my 72. I have 2 1/2" drop spindles with 2" drop springs in the front. I would say my truck sits about the same in the front as yours. That being said....I havn't had any issues yet with the suspension or lower control arms hitting the ground, and i live in a town with a lot of brick streets and potholes. I do have issues with the front tires rubbing on the tops of the inner fenders on the outside edge of the tires when i hit a bump or turn too sharply. The only fix for me would be to get a different wheel backspacing and tire size, [still has the 8" truck rallys up front], or install 1" lowering springs instead of 2" in the front. But i like the way mine sits now so i just drive slower and pay more attention to the road, not a bad thing to do anyway! Joseph
Attached Images

1954 Delray 2-door sedan [rat rod project]
sanford66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:11 PM   #33
Daaaanz67

Sanford what size area your tires how much drop for the rear? Love the stance and that lb got one myself.
Posted via Mobile Device
Daaaanz67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:26 AM   #34
made2drag

you guys, when i look at his pictures the lca's look way to close to the ground. i dont care who thinks they have the same drop and his is like theirs and they never scrape and stuff. look at his clearance....not enough clearance to drive safely. he needs to gain another inch of clearance either by tire or suspension. think about when his suspension is working...his crossmember will be really close during bumps. all i can say is make sure to keep the right air pressure in those tires!
made2drag is offline   Reply With Quote