The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-13-2012, 04:26 PM   #201
McMurphy

Re: Not Another Rebuild Thread....

Quote:
Originally Posted by C@rnut001 View Post
You drew that version...correct? It is really cool. Thanks for sharing about your hood...sounds like it was a ton of work, but you will get it like you want it in the end. Keep up the great job and thanks for posting and sharing pics/stories of your progress.
Oh yes, that is 100% my artwork.
The hood just turned out to be more that I expected is all, and more difficult due to my approach to it. I wish I was more like Coulter and had a computer in my garage so I could pull up these threads and look at other peoples projects as I am working on mine. I think that constant reference would be hugely helpful.

Quote:
Looks like someone is going to have fun with patch panels.
Yes sir, I have been studying other folks works on these the past couple days. Today is going to be a run into town to look for things to help with the project and get more supplies. I think I am going to get another '66 hood as a donor for that front signal panel and going to flip it upside down and it will be the fill panel between my two fenders up under my headlight mounting panel. I did a test fit with my donor and it looked way cooler than what I originally had in mind, plus gives me a logical mounting place for my fog lights.
If I think of it later I will mock it up again and take a pic to show you what I am babbling about.

Quote:
looking good, really like the hood latch deal, thats sweet. cant wait to see the patch panels installed, your making great progress.
Thank you Flips!
I am sorry for your loss. I hope that life brings you many joys to help ease the pain you and your family are no doubt feeling. Wife and I have gone thru some tough ones, not the least of which is we are both orphans now...
May the Lord smile and cast his grace upon you and yours in this time.

So you can get back to work showing me how I should be doing my truck....
Sorry just kidding, but I couldnt help it.... I am a bad bad man....

As ever, thanks for looking guys. Hope to see something on your builds this weekend !!!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:28 PM   #202
chad64chevy

about the grille mesh, have you looked on ebay! i seen some that i'm going to put in the cowl piece where the windshield wipers are! just to keep leaves and stuff out of there! i've also thought of cutting it out and filling it in for a smooth look!!
chad64chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:30 PM   #203
chad64chevy

i would like to see the mock up
Old 01-17-2012, 12:01 AM   #204
McMurphy

Well alrighty then ....
Nice long weekend ensued.
I have come to realize that I like making stuff, modifying stuff, and hammer and dolly work is awesome!
And no I am not kidding.

First off the weekend kicked off with a dip to -40*
Photo included in case you wanted to see what that looks like on the thermometer outside your kitchen window.....

Spent all day Friday in town shopping, and taking the wife out to lunch. Then Saturday was all up in it.

Pic #2 I cut 1" strips of 18ga from the cab corner I cut out and replaced, folded them over to make the mesh insert frames for my turn signal wells. I was about to go to the local metal fab place here in Fairbanks, when at Lowes I spotted this roll of quick mesh in the heating ducts section. (you can just see it in the top left corner).

Pic #3 is the assembled deal.

Pic #4&5 is a mounting mock up in the hood face.
Attached Images

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 01-17-2012, 12:16 AM   #205
McMurphy

Then yesterday and today was spent modifying the hood latch panel inside the hood, and making the insert for the center air intake well I made in my hood face.

Pic #1 is the painted signal well mesh in the fresh primered hood face.

Pic #2 is the unpainted air intake mesh

Pic #3&4 is the whole shebang as it now.

Pic #5 is an idea I have for using a donor hood face to fill the space between my fender tips below my grill support. The plan is to cut and fab this donor (that I still have to get mind you) piece and mount fog lamps into the turn signal wells which I will patch fill to make the orafice smaller and to fit the fog lamps I have in mind (the same ones on my Tempest actually). I will also make mesh inserts for the two openings in the donor hood.
After that I will mod my bumper to go below all this mess and hopefully add to a clean look to the front of the truck.

I sometimes wonder if all this just seems a tad crazy to you guys....

Anyways .... short work week ahead of me before I can get back at it. I plan to finish up this hood work and then toss it into the parts tent before I start on another area of the truck, which will probably be the patch pans I got in.

Thanks for stopping by and taking a look... updating this thread is almost as much fun as making progress on the truck ..... almost.
Attached Images

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 01-17-2012, 12:51 AM   #206
C@rnut001

Looking good...keep at it. I like your ideas for your hood. Good luck on getting on it again this week/weekend.
C@rnut001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:53 AM   #207
57truckguy

Hey Sarge.. I see your at it again... Does It ever get warm there...LOL
57truckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:32 AM   #208
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

I was trying to figure out what in the world you were doing, but now I get it! Looks pretty cool, way to go! Keep up the good work!

1960 GMC 4x4 Babe (the Blue Ox) - Build Thread
chevy_man5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:05 PM   #209
Chad215

cool, I really like those mesh inserts. I'd be curious about the longevity of that material, especially in your enviroment.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:41 PM   #210
McMurphy

Quote:
Looking good...keep at it. I like your ideas for your hood. Good luck on getting on it again this week/weekend.
Thanks, but really the only options are work on truck, play World of Warcraft, go skiing if it is above -20*, or vegitate on the couch with the wife and the cat..... And that pretty much sums up life in central Alaska for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57truckguy View Post
Hey Sarge.. I see your at it again... Does It ever get warm there...LOL
No.
Just less cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy_man5 View Post
I was trying to figure out what in the world you were doing, but now I get it! Looks pretty cool, way to go! Keep up the good work!
Thanks! I know I come up with some pretty nutty ideas sometimes. I think I am venting all those ideas on this truck because once I decided I would not modify my Tempest, I had to keep all this creativity (silliness) bottled up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad215 View Post
cool, I really like those mesh inserts. I'd be curious about the longevity of that material, especially in your enviroment.
This is going to be a fair weather driver only.
I am not even going to bother installing a winterization kit on it. The worst this truck will see in its life with me will be rainy days and dirt roads.

thanks for taking a look guys!!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 01-17-2012, 06:39 PM   #211
chad64chevy

mesh inserts look cool, i like the lower panel idea you got looks really badazz! kind of reminds me a lil bit of the 70's-80's camaros! keep it up, nice weekend progress!!
Old 01-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #212
flips72

x2
flips72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:01 PM   #213
Mad Rods
Chevy Only Tx

looking good!!!!
Old 01-17-2012, 10:05 PM   #214
joe231

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurphy View Post
No.
Just less cold.
Lol
I don't like summer in Fairbanks.
90's is too hot! Lol
It has been over 100 there in the past.
It was -40 there today, eh?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-18-2012, 12:46 AM   #215
McMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad64chevy View Post
mesh inserts look cool, i like the lower panel idea you got looks really badazz! kind of reminds me a lil bit of the 70's-80's camaros! keep it up, nice weekend progress!!
The idea came to me of using that as I was tinkering with it. I had planned on putting in a fill panel. Then I had the idea of a lower air intake, then I considered using that hood face panel and it occured to me I would have a place to mount the fog lamps too... we will see.
I gotta wait for the cold to un-snap though cause to get a donor hood I have to pull it myself, and -40* cold+metal tools+2 feet deep snow in the back acre of a bone yard is just a bad situation no matter how you dice it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flips72 View Post
x2
Rock on Flips, just trying to catch up to you, but that may take me till my second resto on this rig, soooooo lets hook up in about 10 years for that eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Rods View Post
looking good!!!!
Thanks Mad Rods, I am a fan of your build too. I really appreciate the support you guys that have me out classed at every turn come here to deliver! It is very motivating!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe231 View Post
Lol
I don't like summer in Fairbanks.
90's is too hot! Lol
It has been over 100 there in the past.
It was -40 there today, eh?
You know I dont think it even touched 90* last summer here. It was so rainy and cold that September arrived and I wasnt sure Spring was over yet!!

Not looking forward to the mosquito season either....this place has more of them than Lousiana, Korea, and Hawaii combined!

On a high note though, I got off work today at 4pm (1600hrs for all you real people out there) and there was still direct sunlight outside... now THAT is motivating !!

Thanks again for looking guys...

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 01-18-2012, 12:54 AM   #216
McMurphy

Quote:
I am sure glad you brought this up!
I was going to tack weld the mesh frame up in there and call it good. I was also going to re-do the spot welds holding my front hood suppport in, and call it all good, but your comment hung with me all today and I realized that if I did all that, and heaven forbid I ever had to mess with that intake mesh I would be royally hosed.

Now I am going to tack weld some small L-brackets up in there for the mesh frame to screw onto, and instead of re-welding my hood support back in I am going to bolt it. I got some flush head allen bolts with the lock nuts that I am going to use there instead with a support plate for backing.

A major part of what has made this project so much fun was the ease in which it all came apart, and presumeably will go back together. I am going to keep my future rebuild in mind as I continue with modifications and reconstruction of this truck.

Thanks again for the input, I like stuff that makes me think.... LOL

I will post pics of course of what I am babbling about here.

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 01-18-2012, 01:01 AM   #217
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Nice progress, your the man to work in the cold like you do. I know you have heated space, but still. I cringe when it's in the 30's and the shop is 45 when I first get out there.
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:45 AM   #218
C@rnut001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan's Classic View Post
Nice progress, your the man to work in the cold like you do. I know you have heated space, but still. I cringe when it's in the 30's and the shop is 45 when I first get out there.
LOL...when it is 45 here guys are working out in shorts and t-shirts....LOL would be quite the heat wave...

actually, we had some -40 degree weather over here in southwest Alaska during Christmas break...so when it warmed up 30 degrees, it did feel a LOT warmer...
C@rnut001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:14 AM   #219
57truckguy

Nice progress Sarge... You make more progress in the cold then I do in the heat>>LOL
Old 01-20-2012, 02:23 AM   #220
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

My first thought was you were fabbing a front spoiler.
Which would look pretty sharp.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:49 AM   #221
Chad215

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurphy View Post
I am sure glad you brought this up!
I was going to tack weld the mesh frame up in there and call it good. I was also going to re-do the spot welds holding my front hood suppport in, and call it all good, but your comment hung with me all today and I realized that if I did all that, and heaven forbid I ever had to mess with that intake mesh I would be royally hosed.

Now I am going to tack weld some small L-brackets up in there for the mesh frame to screw onto, and instead of re-welding my hood support back in I am going to bolt it. I got some flush head allen bolts with the lock nuts that I am going to use there instead with a support plate for backing.

A major part of what has made this project so much fun was the ease in which it all came apart, and presumeably will go back together. I am going to keep my future rebuild in mind as I continue with modifications and reconstruction of this truck.

Thanks again for the input, I like stuff that makes me think.... LOL

I will post pics of course of what I am babbling about here.
Ha, sorry, looks like I made you do more work. That seems like a better idea, though, I like the idea of them being easily (or less hard) replaceable. They look really cool though, this may be an idea I steal from you.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:13 AM   #222
McMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan's Classic View Post
Well I can tell you this, I am NOT spending any time lying on that concrete floor down there in the garage! It will draw the body heat out of you almost like freezing water does... LOL
Time to buy a creeper soon perhaps!

Quote:
LOL...when it is 45 here guys are working out in shorts and t-shirts....LOL would be quite the heat wave...

actually, we had some -40 degree weather over here in southwest Alaska during Christmas break...so when it warmed up 30 degrees, it did feel a LOT warmer...
Yep a 70 or 80 degree climb gets to be very noticiable, and you find you are turning the heat down in the house and there is still snow on the ground!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57truckguy View Post
Nice progress Sarge... You make more progress in the cold then I do in the heat>>LOL
It is either this, or play World of Warcraft for me right now. Too cold to ski even!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMy65 View Post
My first thought was you were fabbing a front spoiler.
Which would look pretty sharp.
Almost, though I did go and flip it yesterday for a look which I think I like better, it will just require more body work to make it "work" but will look more in keeping with the original body lines I think.

Quote:
Ha, sorry, looks like I made you do more work. That seems like a better idea, though, I like the idea of them being easily (or less hard) replaceable. They look really cool though, this may be an idea I steal from you.
Ahhh no worries. I would rather do a ton more work, then ever spend a minute doing something over. (although I know and do intend to do a 100% frame off on this rig in about 10 years) and the worst is when I have to fix something I very seriously erred on.

If it were not for this site, I would not even attempt half of what I have done/or doing. I doubt I would have much of a clue actually.
That is why I appreciate all you guys looking at my stuff, and making the pointers and comments and questions that you do. I assure you, I do not see the things you guys do !!

The first and third pics are the hood signal light panel mocked up to the headlight support panel and right side up.
The second is my initial intent design for the front that I drew on the 15th of October, you can see how it has grown in concept over time to what I am envisioning today 3 months later.
Attached Images

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 01-22-2012, 04:27 PM   #223
57truckguy

Well sarge I'm starting to see where you are going I was lost in the black forest for a while... Yes shorten it up and , probabaly by spliting down the middle removing equal amount from both halfs and at least spot weld it in place between the fenders and fab some filler pieces to concoure into the fenders... I lIke it ,, very orgainial.. Hey have you checked out the guy with the 55 who is using cantalevered arms with bags and sits that puppy on the ground .. Not something I would do , but very cool never the less.. He is in calif somewhere.. I'll see if I can find the link if you're interested ,, He has been on here or Alan's , that is how I stumbled into him..
Old 01-22-2012, 08:48 PM   #224
k1rodeoboater

You posted in my thread that you're doing some of your rust repairs. I'm surprised your A pillar, B pillar, and kick panels were ok enough to reuse. I had to cut everything out on mine. BTW when you get the the cab corner you might have some issues getting it to fit up right. I did my passenger side today and had to cut in a relief cut to bend the metal how I needed it to go.

Also on your outer rocker...be prepared to make some pie cuts to get it tighter to the pillars. I'm working on mine right now and it's gonna take me a few hours to get it fitting how I like it.

no garage, no shop, limited storage space and tools....no problem.
k1rodeoboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:24 PM   #225
KroAutomotiveInc

looking nice man i like the idea you got going ive seen a 1961 hood like mine molded in down there
KroAutomotiveInc is offline   Reply With Quote