The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-31-2013, 06:36 PM   #1
scott-wisc

Rockin' out in the shower!

I am remodeling a bathroom in my house and was thinking about mounting a car radio in a cabinet, and some speakers in the wall. There is a closet on the opposite side of the wall, so access isn't a problem. Has anyone done this? How do I convert power from 110 to 12V? I've seen marine radios and speakers, I wonder if that would be better for a humid enviroment like a full bath.
P.S. I know this is the truck website and not a bathroom remodel DIY forum.
Thanks, Scott.
scott-wisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:03 AM   #2
PoDuck

Re: Rockin' out in the shower!

I've done similar things, but there are much better ways to do what you want with home audio.

They make waterproof remote controls, and an IR sensor could be easily installed in the wall of the shower to power a stereo system of any type.

If you want to see the screens on the components of your stereo, you can put the components behind a plexiglass sheet, and install the components facing the shower. You wouldn't need to touch the controls with the waterproof remote, so plexiglass is all you would need. Just seal it around the edges good with silicone.

I've done similar things with televisions, where the television was facing the shower. One guy wanted speakers in the shower, and instead of finding outdoor speakers, which are generally pretty ugly, we installed Sonance IS2 speakers (IS = Invisible Series) that are hidden behind thinset, because he was using backerboard with no tile for his walls. This makes them waterproof enough but invisible.

Anyway, it is best to stick to home audio equipment in homes and car audio equipment in cars.
PoDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:28 AM   #3
scott-wisc

I'll agree with you about car/car and home/home. I have enough cabinet room for a radio the size of a Bose Wave (I wish they cost less than $400). I think I'll accomplish the same thing with a cleaner look and a lot less screwing around.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:06 PM   #4
76stepsidechevy

I've been thinking of doing something similar for as long as I can remember. I'll probably put a couple of ceiling mount speakers in there and run them off a small amp in my computer room across the hall or a b channel off my reciever. I think Nutone has bathroom radio stuff I think but thats too easy and probably not cheap either.
76stepsidechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:03 AM   #5
scott-wisc

I ordered a radio with a Sirius XM dock. I'll put a receptacle above the toilet and then mount a cabinet and keep everything hidden inside. K.I.S.S. It works everytime.