The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-22-2022, 11:23 AM   #376
oldman3

Re: norms 55 chevy pu build

That should work great...Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 09:43 PM   #377
washington blue

Made a couple heat shields. I made and welded on a couple tabs onto the wood floor mount to bolt the shields too.
Attached Images

washington blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 09:49 PM   #378
washington blue

Drilled a couple holes in the crossmember and put shields on. I rounded the edges of the 2 pieces on both sides so they stay rigid. The rounded edges make it kind of hard to see but there is about equal distance between the pipe/shield and the shield/wood. Hope this works. I did not try to make the shields pretty because other than you guys no one will ever see them, lol, so don't tell anybody.
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2022, 10:19 PM   #379
dsraven

that looks a lot better. nice job. I think stock trucks simply screwed the shield to the wood on the under side. I am glad you did the extra work to make it safer.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 10:22 PM   #380
dsraven

maybe some rubber under the fuel line where it rubs the frame? I know, overboard.
a bicycle inner tube, cut to length and split so it can slip around the hose, then cable tied back together in a few spots. done.
Old 02-24-2022, 11:29 PM   #381
washington blue

thanks ds, inner tube where it crosses over the frame is a good idea, I think I might have one laying around to use.
Old 02-27-2022, 12:59 AM   #382
washington blue

inner tube around fuel line.
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2022, 01:04 AM   #383
washington blue

Installed my gas fill and loosely hung a vent tube. The Cap is vented too.
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2022, 09:56 AM   #384
dsraven

looks good. on the vent tube, you could install an axle tube vent in the end to help keep bugs, dirt, mud etc out since it is inside the fenderwell. possibly something like a mudflap around it. on the filler tube, and this is just me being stupid, I always try to put the hose clamps on so they can be tightened or loosened etc from underneath or some other accessible way when the box is on. I am a mechanic and cant tell you how many times I wished I had the engineer with me when forced into some contorted fashion in order to do some small job like that or forced to remove a bunch of unrelated stuff in order to acess something that could be easily assembled differently to aid the repair procedure.
nice work, gonna be driving soon at this rate. keep the pics coming, always good to see forward progress.
Old 02-27-2022, 10:01 AM   #385
dsraven

a marine supply shop could also supply a fitting for the end of the vent hose. boats use them but they are attached to the hull near the filler, not just a fitting in the end of the hose that hangs like an axle vent does. on one boat that I had the vent would start to spit a little and that was the indicator to slow down the fill speed because the tank was nearly full. that way you don't wear fuel when it burps back out the filler on you.
Old 02-27-2022, 01:52 PM   #386
washington blue

Thanks, I totally forgot to have the 2 clamps over the shackle turned down. thanks for the reminder I'll turn them. I do as well try to think like it is a finished machine, is part X in easy reach if I need to take it apart kind of thinking. Somewhere I read about marine vents, some of them talk about safety if they get turned over, I don't know what position this will end up in so I haven't figured out what vent to use yet. I have been wondering what would happen if I drive in rain and gunk hits the vent, it should be inside of something. Maybe I just worry too much, lol. As far as driving it soon, wellllllll probably not, lol. So many small things to do that take time and when all the cutting, grinding, and welding is done, then I have to take it all apart and start the paint process and block sanding takes tons of time. Love your optimistic thoughts
Old 02-27-2022, 01:55 PM   #387
washington blue

What would happen if I ran the vent hose up high near the fill cap and then back down and over the tank, - - protecting it from tire spray. It would drain both ways as the high point would either run back into the tank or out the vent as those would be the 2 low spots
Old 02-27-2022, 03:57 PM   #388
Jason 56

This is what I did with my breather. It a roll over/breather from tanks inc.
There’s a link to it
https://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/p...kaAhSEEALw_wcB
Attached Images

Old 02-28-2022, 10:06 PM   #389
washington blue

This is what I've done for a vent setup. 3/8 gas line so I don't have to worry about kinks in a hose or rubbing on something. Don't have a vent on the end yet, since it will hang down a rollover vent won't work so I'll keep looking. I plan to attach this to the filler hose with a couple hose clamps. It doesn't look like it in the pics but the steel line angles down just a little so I won't have a drain trap problem. The open end is nicely tucked between the frame and tank in a really protected area, cool.
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2022, 11:28 PM   #390
washington blue

got some 1 inch longer rubber bumpers, just want to protect as much as it can
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2022, 11:52 PM   #391
dsraven

great idea. no biggy if the axle nearly sits on the rubber at ride height. if the rubber contacts quite a bit before the axle hits the frame then it becomes a spring. how long is the new rubber, total from the mounting face to the tapered tip? just curious how it compares to the S10 or Avalanche bumpers. are these rubber or urethane?
Old 03-03-2022, 12:05 AM   #392
dsraven

tank vent looks fancy, nice tubing bending there. it's a long shot but "if" the fuel tank was filled on a hot day with cold fuel from the underground tank at the filling station, as the fuel expanded it could possibly fill the tube with raw fuel and as it goes past the point of the tank connection it may siphon fuel out of the tank until the tank became low enough to cause a vacuum break in the line. if you follow. it is because the end of the vent hose is lower than the tank connection end. being a firefighter (retired now) I have seen a lot of freshly topped off fuel tanks that are leaking through the filler vent or a hose connection on the filler. a little fuel makes a big mess and becomes a fire risk on a hot day, especially around public areas where people smoke etc.one other thing I suggest is a grounding strap from the actual filler metal to the truck frame. don't rely on the bodywork touching other bodywork to supply a ground. static generated from the fuel going down the filler tube as well as from out of the nozzle hose can induce a spark when the nozzle is removed and, well, short story thereafter. all newer vehicles have the ground strap and they are simple to make with a simple tab welded onto the filler neck inside the fender so nobody sees it but on the last piece of steel close to the cap. then run a ground wire from there to the frame.
Old 03-03-2022, 01:03 AM   #393
washington blue

the snubbers are Competition Engineering black rubber the ad says. 2.5 inches long, sold through Summit, part number CEE-7024.

Last edited by washington blue; 03-03-2022 at 01:09 AM.
Old 03-03-2022, 01:12 AM   #394
washington blue

A ground wire from the filler to the frame is another good idea. I suppose grounding the neck welded to the fender and attaching to the elbow pipe would guarantee no static wouldn't it?

Last edited by washington blue; 03-05-2022 at 02:46 AM.
Old 03-03-2022, 02:26 AM   #395
washington blue

The gas in the tank expanding happened to me once with my model A. Full tank and sitting in the sun. I have a 32 tank on the back of the car, I backed into a parking spot so the rear was slightly lower than the front and an hour later drip drip. I never completely top off the tank in the A now. I also ALWAYS fill the tank just seconds before I go driving. I sure don't want that expansion problem. My thinking is, the fill and the vent tube are plumed above the tank in the 55 in a cube welded on top of the tank. Both the cap and vent let air in/out. The fill pipe and the vent would both have to fill before running over and there would be no pressure created, would that and the large 3/8 tube prevent a syphon, I don't know. I can raise the tube up a little too, at least slightly above the tank outlet/inlet/vent height. I will also continue my practice of filling the tank just before going for a drive. The closest small town to me is about 15 miles away so that would take about a gallon.

Last edited by washington blue; 03-04-2022 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-03-2022, 01:42 PM   #396
washington blue

Last edited by washington blue; 03-04-2022 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-06-2022, 01:03 AM   #397
washington blue

Put on a Kugel shift linkage. Had to do some fitting, cutting, threading, and a little bending but it turned out nicely. Seems to work well with the Ididit column.
Attached Images

Old 03-06-2022, 10:13 AM   #398
dsraven

is it lined up with the exhaust clamp at the trans end or is it just the pic? if so, you could turn the clamp or use a band style clamp for easier access.
Old 03-06-2022, 12:01 PM   #399
washington blue

Thanks, yeah it's the picture, the clamp is further back. I can slip my hand between the nut and the clamp.
Old 03-09-2022, 01:00 AM   #400
washington blue

Got this nifty little vent for my 8.8 rear end, supposed to be for a mustang.
Attached Images