The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-31-2011, 01:42 PM   #1
Toshab

Newby Overhauling a 283

I'm a new one to the forum and to the world of classic pick-ups. Last year I bought a 1967 C10 with a 283 and 4 speed on the floor.

When I bought it the engine knocked pretty hard. I quickly put an HEI on it and intended to start a rebuild on the motor soon after. However, life got in the way and I'm just now getting to it. My goal is to get my '67 in a condition where I can roll down the highway at a comfortable speed.

I have a mechanic friend who told me the knock was a piston knock. He's itching to get inside my hood and do it all on his own, but I told him he can work on my wife's car, but this baby was mine.

I have some experience working on motors, but not just a whole lot, so I need some help from you pros out there.

What causes the piston knock and what will I need to look for to fix this? Also, what recommendations do you have to help me get this beauty running like she deserves?
Attached Images

Toshab is offline   Reply With Quote