The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-27-2008, 06:42 PM   #176
Ackattack

Re: Ackattack's Pro touring restoration thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
Don't get me wrong, I know a top tier paint job is expensive (I've got a painter buddy that reminds me all the time, ). But if he plans on driving it a ton, spending that kind of money on a paint job would be wasted in my opinion. If you planning on showing it a lot, and want to be competitive, ya' better dig deep into those pockets.........

I have no doubt that this guy would do a great job, but like you said, I plan on driving it.

Rather than lets say a "show quality" paint job, I want what I'm calling a "cruise in/race" paint job. Nice from 3 feet, but oh god there might be a 1/16" too much body gap or a slight bit of overspray where it isn't supposed to be, or no overspray where it is supposed to be.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 12:40 AM   #177
Ackattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackattack View Post

So tomorrow I'll run by the salvage yard and hopefully get one of those brackets (this place has ~5 67-72s, so hopefully I'll be able to find one bracket. While I'm there, I'm also going to try to get a 67-68 upper grill insert to put in my lower grill, since my turn signals are in the head lights.
I tried going by the salvage yard yesterday, but they're closed on Mondays...oops. So I stopped by today and scored the 2 parts I need for $20!

I also got some references from the guy I had fix my corvette, so I have to call them. The only thing I have left to do before the cab is ready to come back off to start on the firewall is install the high hump tranny cover....unless whoever I have do the paint/body work has other suggestions.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:50 AM   #178
Ackattack

Progress has temporarily slowed. A few little things I've been working on:

Cut the holes in the dash for the stock style A/C outlets. However the templates I got from old air weren't the best, so the first one I cut, I cut too big. So I had to weld some pieces back in, and that area is a little tight, so I'm going to have to get some different sanding/grinding discs to get back there to clean up the welds.

I've been trying to get my power steering hose fixed up. I have a stock high pressure line for the truck, and a stock power steering side for the corvette power steering pump....so all i need is a shop to do for me is to splice them together. Napa (who does hydraulic lines) said they couldn't do it, so they sent me to another shop. That shop said they can't do it either and told me of another shop, but I haven't made it there yet.

I filled in some holes on the top/front of the door that normally holds in the vent window....but since I don't have vent windows....no need for holes. While I was welding on the door, I also filled some holes for a mirror (not the sport style that I'm going to use) So now I need to measure and drill new holes.

On the other door I noticed some rust behind the hinge. So I took off the hinge to "investigate". The rust is worse than expected, but repairable.

I also called one of the references of the body shop that I may have paint my truck. He had very high praise for this shop. I left a message for the body guy to call me, but he hasn't called back (not a good thing in my book....but...) I guess I'll call back tomorrow.

On the home front, I spent last weekend de-moding my corvette so hopefully it will be easier to sell. I also started working out again so that is taking upabout an hour and a half each day, but that's life. This weekend me and the wife are taking a "mini-vacation" to go down to Portland just to kinda get away for the weekend....so no work on the truck this weekend (However I do have veteran's day off ) and may take Monday off too.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:58 PM   #179
STOCKISH
Formerly- 1972SuperCheyenne

Hey man, hows this thing coming? Awesome work so far.

My Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=799218

A good crossthread is better than Loctite any day.

Life is not about what you have, but who you have to share it with.
STOCKISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:39 PM   #180
71'tahoe

I some how missed this build...I am a memeber over at pro-touring.com also.I go by 796spdbu. I like your build! Those wheels look great!
71'tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:11 PM   #181
Ackattack

well i've gotten a little done since my last update, though the holidays have really slowed progress.

I had two other people come and give me quotes for body/paint. They ranged from $8 - $15k. I can't really afford that at this point. The guy that quoted me $8k said he might be able to do that if it was stripped and primered. So I started stripping the truck. I took the cab to the media blaster. It came out pretty good. I have a little more rust repair work that the blasting uncovered, but no biggie.

I also started stripping off the paint on one of the bed sides.

Other than that and a few other minor things I haven't done much. It's been real cold here and all of the other stuff that gets in the way.

I hope to get back on it next week.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:45 PM   #182
djracer

If you weren't on the otherside of the world I could save you some money. I know some reasonable guys here.

Special Thanks to All who have helped on the TRUCK!

My Pass Time Show http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p...Chapter1-0.mp4

So Far my best Times are:

Motor only:
6.44 1/8 @ 104.13
10.39 1/4 @ 125.83

Nitrous Times:
5.785 1/8 @ 118.65 with a 1.336 60ft
9.168 1/4 @ 142.58 with a 250 shot dead out of the hole!
djracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:45 AM   #183
72 SHORTBED 7.0

Nice, looked at the tread one time before when you first broke the truck down keep it coming
72 SHORTBED 7.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:13 AM   #184
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Just read it all from start to finish, very nice work, subscribed.
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:19 PM   #185
Arad68
Trucks N Tranzams

Looks awesome!!!!!!

'68 Chevy LB 383 TH400/GV/373 posi
'56 Chevy 4WD SWB
'64 Chevy short stepside
'79 Trans Am 455/TH2004R/12blt/4whldisc
95 Kia (Wifes car)
2002 S-10 extended cab pickup
"God punishes small sins immediately"
Arad68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:36 PM   #186
Blitz
Mr. Thread Killer

That's weird. Last comment was on the 3rd but I'm just now getting the email notice today. Hmmmm.
Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 04:31 PM   #187
Ford Assassin

Quote:
I now see what piece I'm going to have to get at the salvage yard to get rid of the blinkers (they'll be in the headlights)
I wanted to go the same route with my '69 (it now has a '67 front end). How do you plan on removing them altogether?

Thanks!!

-K5 Blazer 2wd: 6.0 LQ4, 7875 Turbo, Tick Stage II Turbo Cam, Built 4L80e, RevMax Billet 3600, 9.5" 14 Bolt
-Chevy 3+3 Crew Cab Dually: Cummins 12v P-Pump Swap, Compound Turbos, A2W Intercooler, NV4500HD, 4wd conversion, Radius Arms, Coilovers, Crossover Steering, etc
Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=803608

Last edited by Ford Assassin; 02-19-2009 at 04:32 PM.
Ford Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:31 AM   #188
Ackattack

Finally, another update!

Life has been pretty busy around here getting ready for the baby....I guess that isn't going to slow down. The little guy is due March 13, but I guess he could show up any time now.

As far as progress on the truck goes, I did some minor welding on the floor. There were a few little pin holes that I welded up. I'm going to probably do a little more welding/grinding from the bottom side then both sides of the floor will be ready for POR 15.

I guess the big news is that I got in contact with a guy I may have do the paint (Thanks Frizzle Fry!). I told him that I wanted to be under $6k, and he said that gives him a lot to work with, so that sounded good to me. He's down south of Portland, so I sent him a bunch of pictures and he's going to work up a quote for me. He's also going to supply me with some references. Hopefully it will work out well. Assuming everything checks out and we get all the details ironed out, I'm hoping to have it down to him in a few weeks.

In prepping for that, I took off the 20s and put the 15" rallies back on (minus the front calipers ) I also have to do a few other little things before it's ready to go (put the cab back on, loosely bolt on the fenders, hood, and bed and then get the tonneau cover ordered)

Here are some pics of the cab.....sitting in the garage it has developed some surface rust just from the humidity in the air.

And one of the bedside that I stripped

Old 02-23-2009, 12:33 AM   #189
Ackattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Assassin View Post
I wanted to go the same route with my '69 (it now has a '67 front end). How do you plan on removing them altogether?

Thanks!!
There is a inner piece in the grill. The lower one has some "notches" cut out for the turn signals, and the upper one doesn't. So you get an extra upper one and put it in place of the lower one. They're just riveted to the grill.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:16 AM   #190
nuke1

nice start you have on your truck there, i am also going for the pro-touring taste for my 68, nothing better than carving up the corners.
J.J.R.H. Design & Consulting

My 68`Rebuild "HAVOC": http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=316300
A 58' chev build thread: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=311238
1969 Camaro Pro Touring http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...61#post3513361
Swiss Cheese: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=384390
Adjustable Trailing Arm How-To: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=321100
1968 Ford Farm Truck: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6555587
nuke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:41 AM   #191
djracer

What kind of bed cover are you looking at and how much cash is it?

Motor only:
6.44 1/8 @ 104.13
10.39 1/4 @ 125.83

Nitrous Times:
Old 02-23-2009, 11:00 AM   #192
Ackattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by djracer View Post
What kind of bed cover are you looking at and how much cash is it?
Here is what I'm getting: http://www.checkerpro.com/2.html

If I remember right, they're about $750 with shipping
Old 02-23-2009, 11:18 AM   #193
djracer

we ordered my buddies Gem top from these guys and its awesome!

http://www.conwaysales.com/gemtop/tops/gt_Classic.html

His was 9 something painted and delivered! This is by far the nicest flush cover I have ever seen. Its made of metal so no waves and such. I'm not positive that they offer it for our trucks but you might want to check. They will paint it any color that comes on an OEM car at no extra charge.

Motor only:
6.44 1/8 @ 104.13
10.39 1/4 @ 125.83

Nitrous Times:
Old 03-08-2009, 09:20 PM   #194
Ackattack

No baby yet, so I got a little work done on the truck.

I did a little welding on the cab floor and then started painting it with POR 15. I used foam brushes for the first application......what a pain in the butt. I think the next coat I'll spray. That will probably take about 1/3 of the time and cover better.

Oh, I also sold my corvette last Monday, so now I officially have the $$$ to get the truck painted!!!

Last edited by Ackattack; 03-08-2009 at 09:20 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:09 PM   #195
BigSky71
LAIDOUT

Looking great Ack!

I just now read the entire thread. Funny thing I swear I could almost smell the sand blasting when I looked at those photos from when I did mine. I used a lot of sand too, and resorted to filtering it for reuse, which was fine until the sand just got too wet. Anyway, keep up the hard work and good luck with the new baby when he/she arrives!
Old 03-09-2009, 01:05 AM   #196
Frizzle Fry

Looking good man! Can't wait to see some color!
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:27 AM   #197
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Quote:
No baby yet, so I got a little work done on the truck.

I did a little welding on the cab floor and then started painting it with POR 15. I used foam brushes for the first application......what a pain in the butt. I think the next coat I'll spray. That will probably take about 1/3 of the time and cover better.
Nice work. Please READ all the info about spraying POR15. Brushed or rolled on, it's not a major hazard but if you read info about spraying it, this stuff is deadly. The Iso's that are in it become very toxic when sprayed and can kill you fairly easy or really screw up your health. Just giving a heads up since many don't know about this.

Good luck.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:00 PM   #198
Ackattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy_mike View Post
Nice work. Please READ all the info about spraying POR15. Brushed or rolled on, it's not a major hazard but if you read info about spraying it, this stuff is deadly. The Iso's that are in it become very toxic when sprayed and can kill you fairly easy or really screw up your health. Just giving a heads up since many don't know about this.

Good luck.
yeah, I know.....I sprayed the frame...and took the proper precautions
Old 03-11-2009, 11:37 PM   #199
Ackattack

just got finished with the second (and last) coat of POR15 to the floor. Now I need buddies to come back over to help me turn the cab back upright. Then I can POR15 the inside of the cab floor and up the fire wall and put it back on the frame (again)

I ordered my toneau cover yesterday. I'm getting a flush mount one from checkmate. It supposed to be here some time next week. I think the total damage on the cover is like $710ish (I guess shipping can change day by day a few dollars)

I'll keep working on it some more if I can get a buddy over to fiip the cab and the baby doesn't show up.....got to do something to occupy my time rather than just sitting around waiting.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:13 AM   #200
NPilot1975

I am running a checkmate cover and really like it. Nice progress on your cab. I can't wait to finish my frame and get started on my cab.