The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-21-2022, 12:22 PM   #26
JohnIL

Re: Sound Proofing/Deadening The Cab?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
I used Flatline Barriers on mine - https://fpautoparts.com/flatline-barriers
Not that I can find any pics of the install for some reason.
Thanks for the reply. This is the first I've heard of Flatline Barriers. Is it a thick pad type product or is it a dense rubber/ashpalt type product, like Dynamat or Kilmat?

Thanks
John

Build Thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=838676
JohnIL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 12:26 PM   #27
The Rocknrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnIL View Post
Thanks for the reply. This is the first I've heard of Flatline Barriers. Is it a thick pad type product or is it a dense rubber/ashpalt type product, like Dynamat or Kilmat?

Thanks
John
It's a dense rubber/ashpalt type.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 07:25 PM   #28
AcampoDave

I've given a bit of thought to wind noise and I notice that opening the vents or the OEM fresh air heater with windows closed will clearly increase the wind noise. I have strongly been considering installing at least one of those exit vents with the flapper check valve from the late models on the back wall of my truck. My Silverado for instance has 2 of them. I think without positive air flow, the incoming air is forcing itself out thru the felt covered channel around the side glass. (Which of course is right next to the occupants ears.)
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 09:39 PM   #29
Vortech

I used Kilmat from amazon. Reasonable cost and easy to install.
Attached Images

Vortech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 01:21 PM   #30
JohnIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcampoDave View Post
I've given a bit of thought to wind noise and I notice that opening the vents or the OEM fresh air heater with windows closed will clearly increase the wind noise. I have strongly been considering installing at least one of those exit vents with the flapper check valve from the late models on the back wall of my truck. My Silverado for instance has 2 of them. I think without positive air flow, the incoming air is forcing itself out thru the felt covered channel around the side glass. (Which of course is right next to the occupants ears.)
Dave,
Good thoughts on the vents. The rubber seals on my kick panel vents are shot. I'm sure they are adding to the wind noise. I will put new vents on my to-do list.

I hadn't really considered adding pressure relief vents. Has anyone here on the forum added these to their truck? Do we know how the vents impacted (better or worse) cab noise?

Thanks.
John

Build Thread:
Old 11-22-2022, 09:56 PM   #31
AcampoDave

I started a thread on it once but it didn't exactly take off. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=808699

Edit: you may want to make your own vent seals out of quality rubber. The ones I bought from a major catalog vendor were rotten after only a couple of years.

Last edited by AcampoDave; 11-22-2022 at 10:42 PM.
Old 11-23-2022, 09:44 AM   #32
JohnIL

Quote:
I started a thread on it once but it didn't exactly take off. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=808699

Edit: you may want to make your own vent seals out of quality rubber. The ones I bought from a major catalog vendor were rotten after only a couple of years.
Dave,
Thanks for the link to your thread. There are a couple of good ideas in there, especially the one about replacing the kick panel vent with positive air vents. I also like the idea of adding vents to the back edge of the door jambs. I've seen that on lots of 70's-80's GM vehicles. I never really gave those vents much thought until now. Thanks!

John

Build Thread:
Old 11-23-2022, 09:56 PM   #33
AcampoDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnIL View Post
Dave,
Thanks for the link to your thread. There are a couple of good ideas in there, especially the one about replacing the kick panel vent with positive air vents. I also like the idea of adding vents to the back edge of the door jambs. I've seen that on lots of 70's-80's GM vehicles. I never really gave those vents much thought until now. Thanks!

John
But would the air actually escape any vent in the jamb since there is a weatherstip in the way? When I run it thru my brain, the weatherstrip contacts the inboard side of the door. A vent installed in the jamb would place it outboard of the weatherstrip. Unless I'm missing something. Edit: and I'm not ready to give up my kick panel vents even though I'll give that guy high marks for style.
Old 11-24-2022, 03:00 PM   #34
caseyjones

Quote:
But would the air actually escape any vent in the jamb since there is a weatherstip in the way? When I run it thru my brain, the weatherstrip contacts the inboard side of the door. A vent installed in the jamb would place it outboard of the weatherstrip. Unless I'm missing something. Edit: and I'm not ready to give up my kick panel vents even though I'll give that guy high marks for style.
If the cavities in the back corners of the cab aren’t sealed off air should be able to escape. But a lot of people have the back wall upholstered so it might not be very effective for them.

Last edited by caseyjones; 11-24-2022 at 03:09 PM.
caseyjones is offline   Reply With Quote