The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: If you had the option, which of these grills would you use?
Original 66 painted grill 1 20.00%
64-66 C60 painted grill 2 40.00%
an original aluminum grill that needs to be restored 2 40.00%
the repo aluminum grill that is now available 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-26-2022, 01:10 PM   #876
pdxhall

Re: pdx-sanity66

I decided it was time to put my gear shift knob back on. I set it up earlier but it wasn't working good and the nut I glued in came off. I had drilled a hole in the bottom and then filed it out to the size of nut I needed. This time I used a flare nut and epoxied it in. I also added some green eyes out of a couple of faceted beads. Wicked!
Attached Images

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 12:11 PM   #877
pdxhall

Here are a few pics on what's been going on around here.
dash with gear shift installed
rear inner fenders temporarily installed for marking bolt holes in the bed wood.
I got the windshield wiper motor ready to install.
I'm also working on the restoration of my steering wheel. It has been completely stripped and the cracks have been ground out and is ready for filling the cracks today.
Attached Images

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
Old 01-30-2022, 07:10 PM   #878
The Rocknrod

Nice looking gauge panel on that dash.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 01:24 PM   #879
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
Nice looking gauge panel on that dash.
Thanks. I'm very happy with the results, so far. I can't wait until I finish the deluxe wheel restoration and get it on the truck.
Here are a few pics of the steering wheel work. These show the two main cracks on both arms of the wheel that have been opened up and ready for filling and a few of the smaller cracks. I removed the 4 chrome goodies on the wheel end there are small cracks on the back side of the wheel that will need attention. I have opened up the cracks and started filling with JB epoxy putty.
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2022, 12:51 PM   #880
pdxhall

I've got all of the cracks opened up, filled, and sanded on the wheel. Today I plan on spraying with plastic adhesion promotor and epoxy primed. I am also going to test the wiper motor and install it if it tests out ok.
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2022, 10:47 PM   #881
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxhall View Post
I decided to add this list to my thread for info only. I think I will post some before and after pics from time to time.

Engine and Drivetrain
* Engine and related parts

8. AC Delco Spark plugs MRS43LTS
9. MSD #31769 8.5mm super conductor spark plug wires

13. MSD Pro Billet HEI Distributor #8365
Did you end up using the above?
Are these them installed?
Are you happy with them?

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 01:23 PM   #882
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMy65 View Post
Did you end up using the above?
Are these them installed?
Are you happy with them?

Yes, that is what I am using and I have no complaints. The pro-billet distributor with internal voltage regulator was very easy to set up.
Attached Images

Last edited by pdxhall; 02-10-2022 at 01:34 PM.
Old 02-10-2022, 05:28 PM   #883
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxhall View Post
Yes, that is what I am using and I have no complaints. The pro-billet distributor with internal voltage regulator was very easy to set up.
Thanks,
I want to route my wires from under like yours.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 03:57 PM   #884
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMy65 View Post
Thanks,
I want to route my wires from under like yours.
Yes, I like them this way too, but it came out of necessity with the cast steel headers and the heat they produce. I may eventually remove them and have them ceramic coated but I've had no problems so far.

Old 03-13-2022, 01:49 PM   #885
pdxhall

I haven't posted for a few weeks. I had a friend from Oregon came to visit and then my 2 sons came down from Portland, Or. so I didn't get a lot done for a couple of weeks. I've been working on some projects lately just to take a break from sanding stuff. I've got the new rollers on my window crank mechanism. Now working on the cranks. I ordered new ones but they have been on back order for a couple of weeks. I have a couple of old crank mechanisms so I decided to remove one of the cranks. When I took it apart there was nothing wrong with it except a bunch of old grease and crud and a small amount of surface rust. It should clean up okay so I'll investigate more to see if they can be used after clean up.
I found the shift boot from my C60 on the floor under some junk. It was really dirty so I threw it in a bucket of detergent and let it soak for a day. I then scrubbed it up and it is like new. I like the look so I removed the boot and installed this one. I like the look.
I also got my windshield wiper motor tested and installed. I still need to tuck in the wires under the dash.
And, I bought a new cigarette lighter and got it installed.
And I've got my steering wheel finished and ready to install.
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2022, 02:44 PM   #886
The Rocknrod

Nice work.
Old 03-18-2022, 12:28 PM   #887
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
Nice work.
Thanks, I don't have much left that I can do before paint. If I can get the roof painted (white) then I can get the glass installed. Then I can actually drive the truck and get to testing the drivetrain and get the front end aligned. Right now my driving has been limited to around my yard and in and out of the garage.
Yesterday I decided to finish cleaning up the wiring under the dash, finish the install of the cig lighter, and clean up the wiring on the trans temp gauge. I have been having some trouble with the driver's seat adjustment so I decided to remove the seat and repair the slider. This also allowed me to work under the dash without trying to squeeze into places that this old body has no business being. I'm still creaking from the wiper motor install. I've got all the wiring tucked in and routed where it needs to be so today will be to put the temp gauge back in,repair the seat slider, and put the seat back in.

Old 03-20-2022, 03:10 AM   #888
SOON2BLAZE
Account Suspended

Coming together nicely. Keep up the good work!
SOON2BLAZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 01:16 PM   #889
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BLAZE View Post
Coming together nicely. Keep up the good work!
Thanks. It's getting close now.

I've started getting the door glass and wing windows restored and ready to install when I'm ready for them. I've got the wing windows taken apart and ready for glass bead blasting.
The one thing I'd like some input on are this set of side window trim that I got off of my C60. They are in excellent shape , very straight and only a very small amount of surface rust on the braces. Are these a rare or desirable part? I've mostly seen them on the GMCs. I like the look but
I'd also be willing to sell them if it's worth it.
I finally may have found a painter to get the roof painted. If so, this is a major step forward to getting the truck on the road.
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2022, 01:39 PM   #890
The Rocknrod

I don't it's a part you can get off the shelf.
Old 03-27-2022, 05:03 PM   #891
cwcarpenter98

Those window frames are for the laminated side glass. The weatherstripping is different for each window. The regular stuff sold for 65-66 is too thick for those frames and even the glass. A local guy has those in his truck and was still having issues with the windows being too tight in the weatherstripping.

Definitely something that will sell to the person who needs them though

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 02:34 PM   #892
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
Those window frames are for the laminated side glass. The weatherstripping is different for each window. The regular stuff sold for 65-66 is too thick for those frames and even the glass. A local guy has those in his truck and was still having issues with the windows being too tight in the weatherstripping.

Definitely something that will sell to the person who needs them though
Yes, I realize that, I will probably sell them at some point. Most of all, I just wanted to see if anybody might be interested. thanks for pointing out all of the downsides of them.

I think I might have found a painter to get the roof painted so I can get the windshield in. That will be a major step since I will then be able to drive the truck more than around my yard. I also may have found a place to get tinted door, wing, and rear glass. I've got the interior about done so I am started getting the door parts restored and installed.

Old 03-28-2022, 05:14 PM   #893
cwcarpenter98

I know AutoMetalDirect has started selling glass for the 60-66 trucks. I think they have tinted glass too, but if you have found someone more local, that'll definitely be easier. I hope your potential painter works out!

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 12:48 PM   #894
pdxhall

One thing I would like to know is does the factory tinted windows have UV protection or would I be better off having the windows film tinted? I know there have been many improvements over the years but I haven't done much research on them. Living in Tucson, there are MANY places to get them tinted so I'm curious.

I've got my wing windows taken apart. Ready for clean up and new for restoration. I also have been working on the shift boot. I added the brushed stainless top that was on my other boot and I've got a sponge gasket made. I need to trim a small piece of the floor and drill the mounting holes before mounting in the truck.
I have also been fitting the bed wood to the bed so I can drill the necessary holes. It still needs some adjustment.
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2022, 12:58 PM   #895
pdxhall

When I started working on the bed wood, I drug out the lift I made when I first mounted the bed. It had been sitting out under a mesquite tree for about 4 years. It worked well to lift the bed high enough to fit the wood. Then the lift broke. One of the 2x4s gave way. Luckily the bed was barely lifted so there was no damage. So I've been reengineering a new lift so I can continue. Hopefully I can finish the alignment of the wood and get the holes marked. I'm about ready to take the truck to have the roof painted white.

Old 04-06-2022, 01:22 PM   #896
clemdaddy

Good job and lots of progress. Getting everything sealed up with the glass is a major step, suddenly you're weather proof. Are you painting the roof just between the drip rails or bringing the white down to below the windows?
clemdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 01:28 PM   #897
roll_the_dice

Looking good! Love to see good progress! How hard was it to remove the steering wheel metal pieces that separate the colors and reinstall them? I have a wheel like that I want to restore, but have procrastinated for fear of not being able to get those little rings back on tight enough.
roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 02:54 PM   #898
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemdaddy View Post
Good job and lots of progress. Getting everything sealed up with the glass is a major step, suddenly you're weather proof. Are you painting the roof just between the drip rails or bringing the white down to below the windows?
Thanks, the white will be along the line of a standard 2-tone truck so there is that small portion along the door below the side window.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll_the_dice View Post
Looking good! Love to see good progress! How hard was it to remove the steering wheel metal pieces that separate the colors and reinstall them? I have a wheel like that I want to restore, but have procrastinated for fear of not being able to get those little rings back on tight enough.
Thanks, things a going pretty quick right now. The roof paint will be a game changer. I was worried about the clips also, but they pulled right off with no problem. Just get behind one of the ends and give it a little help to get it started. I needed to patch on the backside of each clip. They have some small bumps on the sides that help hold them on and tight. After the paint, they pushed back on and they are tight. I was worried about putting them back on. I thought I might need a little glue but it was not needed.
For today it will be more work on the bed. I've got Bed Lift II done. The new design will help get the bed just high enough that I can get the outside boards adjusted and then the rest of them. I had about a 1 inch gap when I got all of the boards in. I made some adjustments and I'm ready to try again. I am sure that when everything gets painted I'm going to find some friends to lift it back on the frame.

Old 04-06-2022, 06:15 PM   #899
roll_the_dice

Thanks...I need to just get out there and do it!
roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 01:39 AM   #900
pdxhall

I finally got the bed squared up and the wood and strips fit perfect. This was not a job for the faint of heart trying to do this with the bed on the truck but once I got it lifted and square it went well. I got all the necessary bolt holes marked and then took everything apart for drilling and finishing. AS I mentioned on the general forum "My Sanity has left the building". The truck is at the painters getting the roof painted. Then the game changes, it opens up the opportunity to finally get Sanity on the road.
Attached Images