The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-10-2015, 01:06 PM   #1
Vals59

Chassis mods and bump steer whats best.

Hello everyone. I am a newbie here and also new to the 55-59 truck world. I posted a while back that I had purchased a 59 big window p/u cab and related parts. Last week I dragged home a 55 pickup with a pretty clean original frame. I have searched and read many posts and build threads. Actually, I have read so much that I am thoroughly confused. My goal is to have a truck that stops well, steers well, has no bump steer, and rides okay. Power steering is a must as other family members may be driving it. Bump steer is also a huge concern to me. I did not want to go Mustang 2 or Camaro clip. I had decided on a Crown Vic front end but then read they are a little wider and wheel choice would be limited, but I'm still pondering that. The other thought I have is to leave the straight axle and get a CCP power steering kit that leaves the box behind the axle. I would add disc brakes up front and swap out the rear end 5 lug all around. If I went that route how do I correct for bump steer? Has anyone ever done a cross steer with this box? Would it have bad bump steer if not? I think someone mentioned a longer front spring also for a softer ride. I only want to do this once and plan on doing as much myself as possible. If I went the Crown Vic route, which I would rather not, I would probably start with a salvage yard unit and go from there. I think I have enough previous fabrication skills to adapt it nicely. Thanks Mike
Vals59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 02:02 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Chassis mods and bump steer whats best.

Have you ever actually looked at one of the Crown Vic front ends with the aluminum crossmember? Big towers to hold the Ford engine that may get in the way of anything you want to do for one thing.

Yes they are too wide even on the mid 60's Ford F100's that they fit pretty well.

You have to remember that a lot of the "experts" sitting around the stove down at the spit and whittle club at the wrecking yard expound on what they "heard" works but have no clue or concept to ascetics when it comes to having wheels fit properly in the wheel wells or that your wheels of choice absolutely won't work with that setup. If you are in love with that 70's look with the tires hanging half way out of the wheel wells slinging mud and dirt up on the side of the truck head on though.

I wish someone would come up with a simple cross steer setup for AD and TF trucks that used a common Saginaw power or manual steering box mounted behind the front axle with a drag link running to the tie rod. You would need a panhard bar but that should be fairly simple. Studebaker did it in the 50's on their trucks. You might have a bit of exhaust clearance issues with some headers or manifolds but it really seems simple to do.

Take a look through the build threads for the TF builds. There are a couple of guys using Jag XJ front suspensions that run about the same cost as a Crown Vic from the wrecking yards are all one piece when they come out as a unit and can be mounted in a couple of different ways depending on how low you want the truck.

After market take a look at http://www.industrialchassisinc.com/ Steve builds a quality product that is railroad bridge strong and uses easy to get Dodge Dakota pieces

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 05:13 PM   #3
Vals59

Thanks Mr 48. I appreciate the feedback. I was able to look over a Crown Vic with the nose removed a few weeks ago. I was on the fence then about if it would work the way I expect. I looked at the link you provided. It looks like something I will look deeper into. I will also look into the Jag swap. Deep down I was hoping someone had a simple fix to the bump steer problem associated with the straight axle setup.
Old 01-10-2015, 05:36 PM   #4
Highsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vals59 View Post
Deep down I was hoping someone had a simple fix to the bump steer problem associated with the straight axle setup.
Do research on an MII-style update.
Man, mine rides sooo nice!
Roof Swap on my Panel
Jim's Bread Truck
Highsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 05:59 PM   #5
mr48chev

I think the bump steer issue can be fixed with normal and proven methods.

Have you checked the truck over closely for worn front suspension and steering pieces. Have you had the alignment checked to make sure the caster and toe in are within specs? Unless the truck really hit something hard with a front wheel the camber should stay within specs.

What about rims and tires? Deep reverse rims like a lot of guys stuck on these trucks in the 80's and 90's can cause bump steer or accent it.

I don't remember seeing anything that said it had been lowered but from personal experience on my own truck removing leaves from the front springs and changing the angle of the drag link can and most likely will cause some bump steer.

A good steering dampener like a lot of the 4X4 brigade runs might lessen the effect a bit but isn't a cure. It might also cause a bit more resistance on the already (for some) steering effort.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 06:02 PM   #6
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vals59 View Post
Hello everyone. I am a newbie here and also new to the 55-59 truck world. I posted a while back that I had purchased a 59 big window p/u cab and related parts. Last week I dragged home a 55 pickup with a pretty clean original frame. I have searched and read many posts and build threads. Actually, I have read so much that I am thoroughly confused. My goal is to have a truck that stops well, steers well, has no bump steer, and rides okay. Power steering is a must as other family members may be driving it. Bump steer is also a huge concern to me. I did not want to go Mustang 2 or Camaro clip. I had decided on a Crown Vic front end but then read they are a little wider and wheel choice would be limited, but I'm still pondering that. The other thought I have is to leave the straight axle and get a CCP power steering kit that leaves the box behind the axle. I would add disc brakes up front and swap out the rear end 5 lug all around. If I went that route how do I correct for bump steer? Has anyone ever done a cross steer with this box? Would it have bad bump steer if not? I think someone mentioned a longer front spring also for a softer ride. I only want to do this once and plan on doing as much myself as possible. If I went the Crown Vic route, which I would rather not, I would probably start with a salvage yard unit and go from there. I think I have enough previous fabrication skills to adapt it nicely. Thanks Mike
Take a look at the clip that Kimbridge Enterprises makes, it uses S10 parts. It slides into the existing rails. They don't have a site but you can call them for a catalog. It gives you the modern updates you want and keeps a truck front end under your truck.

Kimbridge Enterprises Inc,
7617 160th St Se
Snohomish, WA 98296
Phone: (425) 487-0763

They made the one RB's Obsolete sold
Attached Images

dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 07:18 PM   #7
Vals59

Thanks for the replies guys. I have never driven this truck. I am building it from 2 different trucks. I remember now that it`s been brought up that I had a K30 1ton 4x4. I replaced the steering dampener and it rode like a new truck.Same should work on any straight axle I guess. I will definitely call and get more info about the S10 clip pictured above. Sorry to be all over the map with the questions. I just want to make sure it will be driver friendly for my daughter who will be driving by the time its done. Thanks again Mike