The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-17-2015, 12:00 AM   #1
47AD

Transmission mounting idea........

Just wanted to throw this out there and get some feedback. My truck is a 47 1/2 ton AD. I'm going to use a 265 V8 (lot of family history with this setup) in this truck and was going to use a 5 speed manual trans. I have been also considering using an automatic trans (200R4). Since the 265 uses 2 front engine mounts (no side mounts) the transmission will need to be supported off of the back of the engine. What I'm thinking might work is using something similar to this:

https://www.danchuk.com/ItemForm.asp...5-ceabc840a895

The rear motor mount crossmember would need to have a section cut out for the transmission to fit and the remaining crossmember pieces attached to the left side of the frame and right side of the frame would need to be configured for these trans mounts to work. The tail shaft of the transmission will also be supported.

I'm staying with a solid front axle that will be dropped 2 inches so no frame mods will happen there and I was just thinking of any flexing of the frame that might cause any damage to the drive train. It won't be a work truck but will be my daily driver.

Dan
Old 01-17-2015, 01:57 AM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Transmission mounting idea........

That kit works o tri-5 cars but won't work right on AD trucks or TF trucks.

If you want to run a five speed I'd suggest just using the Cast iron Chevy truck bellhousing for a 55 to 60 something pickup that runs a V8 they are easily found and usually go for between 25 and 75 bucks depending on who is selling them. That bolts up to the crossmember that went under the original bellhousing and is very simple along with keeping the frame strength up with the crossmember in place.

For a T 5 you would need an adapter/spacer and possibly a couple of mods on the trans to get it to fit and work right. If you wanted to run one of the later model truck five speeds I am not sure if you need an adapter.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 02:53 AM   #3
47AD

Re: Transmission mounting idea........

I was using the ad from Danchuk as an example. Just wondering if making custom mounts that would mount to the front of the transmission and making a mount that could be adapted to the the frame would work?

I already have the correct bell housing for the 5 speed install should I go that way. Was lucky enough to get the bell housing free.

Dan