The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork > Detailing

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-04-2011, 02:25 AM   #1
xteamxtreme

Engine bay clean up.

Hey guys. Just looking for some quality input on engine bay cleanup/block painting tips. Truck dropped an alternator last year, lost the fan, and overheated putting coolant everywhere. Have not gotten around to cleaning it up as truck has been in storage. Anybody with some good advice on cleaning and painting and any other "spiff up" tips feel free to post. Some pictures would be great too. Thanks.
xteamxtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 02:31 AM   #2
Trailrider95

Re: Engine bay clean up.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=340322

This is a good read on engine cleaning, Definitely give it a look through.
Trailrider95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 03:08 AM   #3
xteamxtreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailrider95 View Post
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=340322

This is a good read on engine cleaning, Definitely give it a look through.
Good read. Thanks for the tip. Any tips for stripping old paint? I'm attempting to do this with the engine still in.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:24 AM   #4
cdowns

by jacking up removing wheels then removing inner fenders make working on engine alot easier and doing the inner fenders off the truck is easier too
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:08 PM   #5
xteamxtreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
by jacking up removing wheels then removing inner fenders make working on engine alot easier and doing the inner fenders off the truck is easier too
Probably a good idea. Anyone every install any of those chrome inner fenders that lmc sells? Worth the money??
Old 06-05-2011, 12:16 AM   #6
R.L.

cdowns is right, I removed my inner fenders and could stand in the engine bay and work on my firewall but I have a l6. I took it a little at a time and it took me months; if I didn't feel like working on the truck say after work I didn't so when I did work on the truck I wasn't rushed and did a better job then if I had hurried and got sloppy. I started by cleaning everything and I got every bit of old grease and sand off that firewall then I took old news papers and taped the transmission and engine off and painted the hardest area first, the trans tunnel; later I worked out to the fender removing the break booster and wiring. I wiped the surface with paint thinner after cleaning and sanding then I panted the surface and reassembled after drying usually took a couple of afternoons to do this. When I finished with one side I moved on to the next removing the heater box cleaned everything I could get to lube everything and you can take a hobby brush and touch up anything you can't get to spray, take your time and go all the way around the Eugine bay battery trey radiator and mounts under the hood all are flat black or the red I plan on painting the outside of the truck. Oil the threads of every nut and bolt you remove then paint with your touch up brush after reassembly you know you will never be trough with the thing but it will be easier to disassemble the next time clean and lubed.
You'll be rerunning wires and straiting out old plumbing before you know it, zip ties electrical tape and armorall your wires hoses and rubber bumpers .
Just start in one place and don't move from that place till you've done all you can to it then move over and work on that place till you go all the way around and get back to where you started take your time you will be glad you did.
R.L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:02 PM   #7
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Great ideas guys... anyone else?

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote