The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-17-2015, 11:58 PM   #1
'63GENIII

'04 Yukon XL Denali - Body Control Module Experts?

I usually spend my time in the 60 - 66 section so Im new to this area. I thought I'd come next door and see if you guys might have any insight to a persisting intermittent problem that Im having with the Wife's 04 Yukon XL. We got this car in '08 with 50k on it. It has 105 on the clock now and has been a great car with the exception of one problem that it has had almost from day 1. For some reason, there is an intermittent current draw which I have not been able to find the source of. I believe that it may be the BCM because of the other little weird electrical issues that arise when this has happened in the past. It leaves the battery unable to start the car sometimes as little as 4 -5 hours after it has run and on occasion it has taken over night to kill it. The weird symptoms include AC issues like blowing hot air through the defrost when AC should be blowing cold from vents, dome light coming on for no reason, seats adjusting to different positions automatically and a few other things.
To date, I have tried using my VOM to see how much current is being drawn with the key off and I blew the 11 amp fuse in my Fluke 177 meter. Sometimes when I disconnect the battery for 20 minutes or so, the issue goes away for a while but eventually returns. I have replaced nearly one battery per year (and not the cheap ones from Oreillys or Pep Boys) to the tune of 225 - 250 each for Interstate Megatron Plus to Red or Blue top Optimas with the same result in each case being that the car will run great with no problems for the better part of a year and then it's the routine again.
Every time this happens I start reading about the BCM and how they can be glitchy and create issues like the ones that Im having. I have also heard that replacing them with a new one only works some of the time and that they need to be re programmed by a dealer which again is more$$$.
My question is this for all the newer body style electrical guys here; Has anyone here had any problems that are similar to the ones I described and how have you guys dealt with them? Swapped BCM? Other non BCM issues? Keep installing new batteries? Sell the car? Im kind of at my wits end and as I want to fix the problem and not put a band aid on it again.

Ill be very grateful for any advise.
Thanks,
Chris

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote