The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-04-2021, 01:36 PM   #301
Paul Y

Re: The English are coming! Or..another C10 in the Motherland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyG View Post
I have mine on the firewall (bulkhead?) right behind the intake manifold. Fuel feed and return coming up driver's side (er, left side), and kind of up the tunnel to the regulator to avoid exhaust heat (using braided teflon lines to be E85 friendly, though zero E85 stations anywhere near me).

I put a couple Nutserts in the firewall to mount the reg. I'm using factory heat, and an under-dash AC unit, so there was lots of room in mine.
I should have come up on the drivers side but thought I was making life easier for myself with the routing etc by coming top on the passenger side. WRONG!

Mine is all ethanol compatible - there is a big Hoo Haa going on here at the moment as regular petrol now contains 10% ethanol since September 1st - using braided and aluminium hard line.

It is what it is. If I have a problem down the line will wrap the lines, think I will be OK as there is a big gap between the fuel and exhaust plus the brace provides an addition level of protection. Time will tell.

Anyway. On to todays adventure.

Stay tuned, coming up right after this commercial break....

P.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=658621

If it goes wrong, I blame the Internet...
Paul Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 02:17 PM   #302
Paul Y

I didn't get as much time in the garage as I wanted today as #4 child is off to Uni next week which meant spending money on...things... you know fairy lights, a wall covering, pink ferns. The important stuff.

Once that task was completed and I had put her and #1 son on the train to go to London to see #2 son -its his birthday on Tuesday - I finally had 2 hours in the garage before having a date night with the wonderful Lady P, I am currently writing this whilst she is getting ready so an easy hour or so left....

Plan today was.

1. Wire up the engine and make sure that everything worked

2. Make sure it cranked over

3. Test the fuel lines.

4. Vroom Vroom.

This is what I started with.

Long time listeners will know that I HATE WIRING so after 30 minutes spreading everything out across the drive to make sure I had a little idea of what went where I proceeded to plug everything in.

Actually quite easy once you get your head around it.

The wiring harness is definitely not a thing of beauty.

Once that was all in place I bolted the various electric bits to a board just to stop it all getting caught up in the flex plate and exhausts.

Get me. I even made a switch to turn the ECU...

Fact Tree....

I had previously bought myself a Lone Wolf 3000 to make the cranking easier. Purchased from my local motor factor the guy serving me said it had been there since he had started working there, I would guess that would be at least 20 years old then....

There will now be a lack of pictures as I spent the next 90 minutes trying to work out why, when I switched this ON...

...Nothing happened.

(In case anybody is using this as reference the wire connected to this is the switched live. - you must be really desperate but you never know...)

Tested across the fuse box, scratched my head and finally sat on the milk crate of contemplation to seek cosmic guidance.

Which is when I noticed that the other side of the switch was not connected to power.....

Mmmmm....

Anyway, quick connection made and now when you push the throttle pedal, this happens.

Great Success!

Rapidly running out of time I threw 4 gallons of Shell finest super unleaded in the tank, connected the pump to a separate battery and it all wired into life.

Rapidly followed by me pulling wires off the battery as I was showered by fuel from the regulator.

It is absolutely weeing it out of the join between the top and bottom. Quick internet search shows this is quite common so take it apart, clean it out and out it back together. Still made me jump!

Skinny I will let you know wha the results of tomorrows Post Mortem are so you don't get the 4 star shower.

Good news is, in the few seconds that the pump was building pressure my pipes didn't leak.

Tick another thing half of the list then Paul.

Not much time left so hooked up the Lone Wolf 3000 to the starter as I wanted to get the engine to turn over so, tomorrow, I can fix he regulator, put the plugs in and see if it will go Vroom Vroom.

But... no starter motor action.

Tested the Lone Wolf 3000. That works.

Have 13V to the starter.

Ok

But no spinny spinny.

Does anybody know if I need the switched live to be connected to a..live?

Seems a bit odd that it wouldn't turn over but hopefully it is something simple - if you know let me know.

So, with a modicum of success I bid you goodnight as Lady P is standing behind me indicating that she requires a G & T before dinner.

Onwards!!

P.

Last edited by Paul Y; 09-04-2021 at 02:46 PM.
Old 09-04-2021, 05:23 PM   #303
SkinnyG

Neutral safety switch?
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 03:09 PM   #304
Paul Y

Quick rewind then.

When I left you yesterday this was spraying fuel everywhere.

Quick disassemble revealed numerous bits of swarf from the machining process were still in the body meaning that the diaphragm was not seating properly. Grrrr....

Skinny might be worth a quick inspection before you put fuel through your one

With that all safely buttoned up a quick test revealed that it was indeed fixed and we were ready to go. Well once I had worked out why it wouldn't turn over.

This turned out to be my own stupidity as I had the Lone Wolf 3000 connected to earth rather than live, quick change around and we had the engine turning over, Very slowly. Even with the plugs out.

Oh Bumhats.

Images of me running the bearings dry had me re priming the engine with another 3 litres of oil. Lets try that again then shall we. Nope still turns over slowly. Now beginning to panic. Lets check the battery voltage then.

13.8 volts.

Now really panicking.

Wonder what the voltage is whilst cranking...

7.3 Volts. HUZZAH!!!!!!

Quick swop over to another battery and we now wizz over at a very respectable rate.

Ok, plugs in and this on stand by.

Lets prime the lines again and flick the switch

https://youtu.be/tYC1wywcdSc

This did make me do a little dance in the garage.

Oil pressure was great, upto around 80lb with a little rev, No knocks. No rattles - even the lifters were quiet! Very very happy.

I am never going to be a David Bailey but here is the second attempt.

Yes I am wearing wellies. With shorts. Get over it.

https://youtu.be/PoR4lYNlZmg

The hesitancy is because the pump is not running, the engine is running off the fuel in the rails and also the fuel pressure was around 20lb rather than 60lb but even so I will put that down as Great Success!

That is where I ran out of time for today as my parents were coming over for lunch but did close the door feeling very pleased with myself. Even Lady P came out and congratulated me. Well I think that what she was saying as my ears were ringing from the awesomeness of the open exhausts...

Next stage is going to be getting the firewall ready for paint, stripping the undersea from Woodys bottom and generally getting ready to put the cab back on the chassis. Aim is to have this next part of the deal done by middle October, so another 6 week sprint. I have a tree to collect at Christmas.

Still waiting for my benefactor to show up with my T56 though....

With that I will wish you a very pleasant Sunday.

Until the next time....

ONWARDS!!!!

P.

p.s I have tried for the past 10 minutes to get the video to play on this page but failed miserably . Sorry!

Last edited by Paul Y; 09-05-2021 at 03:17 PM.
Old 09-05-2021, 04:40 PM   #305
jmarkha1

good result - bet you’re chuffed with that...
jmarkha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 04:14 AM   #306
Grizz1963

Well done mate.

I know you were looking forward to this point.

Next…….
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 10:21 AM   #307
88Stanger

That is so AWESOME!! Congrats mate!! (Lol had to throw that in... ) Sounds great, better than mine at the moment... Either one actually...
John 3:16 - Saved me... God Bless
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 01:50 PM   #308
Paul Y

No update this week I am afraid as #4 child is off to Uni tomorrow so I am being Dad.

Did just find a picture from 2016 when #3 son and I did a photo shoot for a T Shirt company - bloody hell I have got old in the past 5 years....

Probably no update next week either as I am at Goodwood for the weekend, so until the next time...

ONWARDS!

P.

Old 09-19-2021, 01:56 PM   #309
Paul Y

Too paint, or not too paint. That is the question.....

The weekend didn't go as according to plan as I would have wanted.

Was due at Goodwood today, Sunday, but due to his father in law being taken ill and being admitted to hospital, my partner in crime had to call off at short notice. Could have gone and taken one of my boys but they were all busy so decided to let the tickets go to one of Mark's friends and contented myself with watching the racing on the live stream.

Plus I needed the rest - work is pretty much flat out at the moment - in addition to doing the fund raising dog and pony show which is mentally rather taxing.

However guilt got the better of me after a few hours so went out to the shed and started actually looking at the firewall to gauge how much work and prep I will need to do.

Current state of play.

Initially I thought I was going to bare metal the firewall back to the rubber lip you can see at teh top of the pictures but after a few minutes spent sitting on the milk crate of contemplation (tm) I decided to get out an old bottle of Polarshine....

Before....

After....

Think that has actually made my mind up to just bare metal and paint to the first raised lip and clean and lacquer the rest of it. Has survived 55 years so far so think it will survive a few more.

PLUS!!!

I get to keep this, which you could not replace.

Expect some rather boring shots of me stripping and bare metalling in the not too distant future as I take a step closer to operation.... Christmas Tree.

Until the next time.

ONWARDS!!

P.

Old 10-24-2021, 01:10 AM   #310
Grizz1963

Looking for something in my thread.

Found these from Feb 2016

You have made a ton of progress.

Eventually after much chatting, tea, biscuits and looking at my progress which he thankfully approved, he also offered to help me look at my motor when the time comes, I managed to convince him to drive up to the farm for a few photos of Woody.

We then drove back home, loaded the work bench back onto the truck,making with a rather large steel cabinet and strapped it all down, said our good byes and then he and Woody were off like a donkey with turpentine under its tail.....

CLICKY LINKY VIDEO:
This put a huge grin on my face.

And an opportunity to take a really moody, Johnny Cash album cover type photo with a shadow looking in.

Old 10-24-2021, 07:58 AM   #311
Paul Y

I would like to say that there has been progress but really, there hasn't.

Between work, staff issues (Grrrrrrr.....) work, getting Freshers Flu from my daughter and being ill for 2 weeks (Double Grrrr....) work, fund raising, etc I have only opened the garage door to extract tools to fix the washing machine.

Anyhoo, hopefully I will do some painting in November - the firewall is stripped - and there is a potential 'liquidity event' on the horizon that will enable the last large part of the puzzle to be procured.

Which all goes to mean that 'The Tree' will probably have to be stuck on the top of the Super Fiesta (tm) for another year.

#1 daughter will not be pleased....

Until the next time....ONWARDS!

P.

Old 01-08-2022, 06:44 AM   #312
Paul Y

Looks like I am painting the firewall then....

Chinese Bat flu put paid to my plans of cracking on with Woody over Christmas as every time I 'thought' I was feeling better 5 minutes in the shed told me otherwise...

I did venture out yesterday, put the heater on and spent an hour removing the flaking paint etc so that I can paint the firewall and put some rhino liner on the floors.

Progress is progress but no where near what I would have liked.

Bloody Bats....

P.

Old 01-08-2022, 07:04 AM   #313
jmarkha1

no fun this rona business- i was out of action for 5 months mid 2020 - some are lucky others not so much - hopefully we’ll be rid of swoon.

good to see some action on your truck - at least all the shiny stuff is under the hood :-)

roll on the spring…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Y View Post
Looks like I am painting the firewall then....

Chinese Bat flu put paid to my plans of cracking on with Woody over Christmas as every time I 'thought' I was feeling better 5 minutes in the shed told me otherwise...

I did venture out yesterday, put the heater on and spent an hour removing the flaking paint etc so that I can paint the firewall and put some rhino liner on the floors.

Progress is progress but no where near what I would have liked.

Bloody Bats....

P.
Old 01-09-2022, 01:45 PM   #314
Paul Y

This morning I decided that I was going to look at getting Woody on his back, so to speak, so that I could check for the dreaded tinwork and get the bottom of the cab prepped for a coating of Rhinoliner. I made the decision a while back that I am not selling any more cars so want to make it as good as I can - in stages.

So after consultation with @grizz as to the best way to tip the cab I made a start at marking the doors for removal and taking the loose items from the cab...

It was a this point that I thought the Covid had kicked in again as I felt like I was falling...

Turned out that my Christmas weight had been enough to tip Woody back on the dolly he currently resides on making me realise that this was actually going to be a much easier job that I anticipated!

Doors on. Doors off. Nah, couldn't be bother to take the doors off so latched them shut and with the aid of #1 Son, 3 old tyres and 2 bin bags full of rags....

Ta Da!

And after 2 hours with the Knott Wheel of Truth (tm) I arrived here.

I would have gone a bit further apart from the fact that it was.

a) Cold

b) Both of the Knott Wheels of Truth (tm) I had in stock were now bald

c) The Bat Flu is still coursing through my veins and, instead of turning me into Bruce Wayne has in fact turned me into an old man...Knackered....

So a cursory glance at the bits I did clean shows a few pin holes but nothing drastic, easily remedied with a quick blast with the metal glue gun, and a small patch which I was ignoring previously....

I might cut this out but then again....

This will need a little patch

But these can be addressed with a blob of weld.

Plan is to get this all done before the end of the week as I need to have the cab in paint and ready to go back on the chassis before the end of the month as I have been invited to an 'event' in early April.

Quick question why I am here. Is this a High Hump tunnel?

Will update as things progress but, until the next time... ONWARDS!!!

P.

Old 01-09-2022, 05:28 PM   #315
Grizz1963

Progress !

Well done mate.
Old 01-12-2022, 02:04 PM   #316
66C10LB

Yes, looks like the high hump tunnel to me.
66C10LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 03:55 PM   #317
Paul Y

For reasons that I won't go into here I found myself with a Friday afternoon free.

But without the required Knott Wheels of Truth (tm) to finish cleaning the floor, so I decided to do a little cutting and pasting on the pin holes in the floor.As @westbay said, I had access that I wouldn't have again so...JFDI I did.

I did try and weld up the holes but ended up making them bigger and bigger so....

Burn Burn...

It was at this point that I realised that my welding skills were slightly lacking after at least 6-8 months without picking up a torch - never mind a bit of grinder action, seam sealer and paint and nobody will ever know...

Next was more chopping and more burning

And a bit more....

Looking at the pictures I realise that I am a bit plop at this but considering what I cut out....

I will take it.

Hopefully the Knott Wheel of Truth (tm) will turn up tomorrow and I can finish off the floor ahead of some painting action.

Onwards!

P.

Old 01-15-2022, 04:47 AM   #318
Grizz1963

Excellent Paul.

Every day closer to driving it.
Old 01-16-2022, 04:04 PM   #319
Paul Y

We are now a the part of the proceedings where this is more for my records that to keep you lot entertained.

Knott Wheel of Truth (tm) turned up on Saturday but for some reason I had ordered 100mm ones instead of 75mm. Oh Sausages I thought but it turned out to be a happy accident as they are absolutely awesome when it comes to cleaning off the underside of a 56 year old truck...

Not a massive amount of additional holes found after a good clean just these.

Didn't have a huge amount of time so elected to finish off the drivers side - its not perfect but it is strong and solid so that will do for me.

A little more grinding and a bit of seam sealer and we will be good to go!

Which brings my current bits of old Woody to....

8 - Yes I know there are only 7 in the picture but I lost a bit.

So, fingers crossed I will be able to get a bit more time this week to finish off the floor, do another clean and then add some paint.

Can't hang around, got a deadline to hit!

So, Until the next time....Onwards!

P.

Old 01-16-2022, 04:33 PM   #320
Braunschweiger

It's going to be a solid truck again.
Braunschweiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 05:35 PM   #321
Paul Y

So... 20 days ago we were here....

What has been consuming the past 20 mind numbing boring days you might ask?

Well getting to this point

Part of me didn't want to post this update as it must be as boring for you as it is for me but hey! Misery loves company right?

Even dog couldn't bring herself to watch anymore....

Did also weld up a few of the redundant holes in the firewall as well as the one where the clutch rod resided.

Also managed to weld up the speedo hole but realised my mistake and just drilled it back out. Doh!

What is the positive then Paul? 2. No, make the 3 things actually.

1. 100mm Knott Wheels of Truth (tm) are the way forward.

2. Sweeping the floor after bare metalling the floor and firewall Woody has lost a few more pounds. - Good job too as I have gained a few over Christmas.

3. The garage is actually quite tidy now.

This week I will be making a buy to get all of the materials needed to paint as pretty sure another 3-4 hours will get me to the point where all the holes are filled and the old underseal has been banished.

Phew.

I also had one of those birthday things a few weeks back. A positive on having loads of children, the majority of whom are now off the payroll and earning their own keep, is that when they ask what you would like to mark your King Day and you tell them they throw money at the request which means I was half way to buying another missing component.

Not exactly overnight parts from Japan but....

This is a pretty comprehensive kit and well worth the money as it includes new headlight switch, ignition switch, dimmer switch etc etc. Consider me spoilt.

Now, if any one knows where there is a t56 I might actually get somewhere!

Until the next 'riveting' update and with ith the clock ticking until the 9th April deadline I will bid you good night

ONWARDS!!!

P.

Old 02-04-2022, 02:30 PM   #322
Paul Y

So, today, in anticipation of my good friend Jay the Spring Slashers visit to PY Towers next Friday to oversee my application of paint to Woody's firewall, I did a buy.

Please don't let this picture give you the impression that I knew what to buy as I was given a shopping list and directed towards Colchester Panel to make the said purchase. As Woody is an ex Forestry commission truck there is no paint code as such so I took a panel with me to get a good match. Don't think they would have had faded Chevy green in stock...

My first time visit to Colchester Panel and it won't be my last. Very knowledgable and car nerds as well. Turns out we had some shared contacts from the past so the conversation quickly turned into I will show you mine if you show me yours. If you are in that part of the world I would thoroughly recommend them, plus they were cheaper than I could buy it online.

Came home on Thursday to be greeted by a parcel.

Actually forgot I had purchased this fine piece of Chinesium - for £16 shipped I will give it a go, I mean they are factory fitment aren't they?

Not much going to happen this weekend as Lady P's birthday but stay tuned for laughs a plenty as I attempt to lay down paint.... Wonder if I should buy the paint stripper now.....

Until the next time.

ONWARDS!

P.

Old 02-04-2022, 03:50 PM   #323
Grizz1963

PSSSSSSSTTT…………..

https://youtu.be/ucVmsET4BFw

Mojo that.
Old 02-04-2022, 06:29 PM   #324
Paul Y

That Video always makes me laugh.

Problem is that must have been at least 4 years ago!

P.

Old 02-07-2022, 05:17 PM   #325
88Stanger

So Awesome that you are moving forward the project!! Honestly i am just about done with the "Other Projects" and so ready to get back onto the "66. I have a couple more wires to connect on my 1969 C10 LS Holly wiring system and it will be done! then back to 66.
John 3:16 - Saved me... God Bless
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote