The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-26-2011, 08:04 AM   #26
oldcarfart

Re: A fallen soldier and his unfinished gift to his wife a 1959 Apache Pickup

Can we contribute to the untimely demise of the thief?

USN, Ret.
oldcarfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:09 AM   #27
Trucknut57

I hope someone can or will post some pictures of the finished truck..

- dcozzi
Trucknut57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:22 PM   #28
54 jimmy

would be really cool if they started a build thread to let us know how the truck is comming along.
2008jeep patriot (wife's daily driver
2008 chevy 1500 ext cab 4x4 sold
2011 chevy 1500 crew cab ltz (daily driver)
1996 chevy 1500 reg cab 4x4 project sold
2006 pontiac grand prix gxp (daily work commuter)
54 jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:45 PM   #29
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54 jimmy View Post
would be really cool if they started a build thread to let us know how the truck is coming along.
+1 That would be something that I would like to follow.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:26 PM   #30
(joey)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54 jimmy View Post
would be really cool if they started a build thread to let us know how the truck is comming along.
my thoughts exactly.i wish i was close by to give a hand
Old 02-26-2011, 06:10 PM   #31
68jewel
On the path to financial ruin!

This is a sad case. That mechanic is evil and he will get his. I never wish nothing bad on people, but when you're evil and bring harm to women and children (emotional harm in this case) , it's a different ballgame. I say he is evil because when the soldier told him he was going to Afghanistan and would be deployed for an unspecified amount of time and left him with $17k, he knew right then and there that he had no intentions of restoring the truck.

Ooh Wee's Makeover...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=376280
68jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:53 PM   #32
72 Super

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68jewel View Post
This is a sad case. That mechanic is evil and he will get his. I never wish nothing bad on people, but when you're evil and bring harm to women and children (emotional harm in this case) , it's a different ballgame. I say he is evil because when the soldier told him he was going to Afghanistan and would be deployed for an unspecified amount of time and left him with $17k, he knew right then and there that he had no intentions of restoring the truck.
Agree. It is a real shame people are like that in the world.

I hope his truck gets done now, I am sure it will mean the world to his family. It will always be memories of their dad/husband.

Ray
Old 02-26-2011, 08:35 PM   #33
trevrolet65

That so called mechanic will get his, you don't mess with carma (did I spell it right?).
He needs to be locked in a room with a Marine! I'd like very much to donate to the cause as well.
trevrolet65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:28 PM   #34
Dale440rt

very touching story....I am speechless!

Last edited by Dale440rt; 02-26-2011 at 10:29 PM. Reason: typo
Dale440rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:24 PM   #35
Malibu Monte

My buddy works in his Grandpa's (a Vietnam vet) transmission shop here in MO and he was telling me that someone came to them to ask if they would build a tranny to donate for this truck. It is a great thing these people are doing for this fallen soldier's family.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:15 PM   #36
A.T. RockDriller

My Wife & I sat here and watched this on Sunday morning...
These are hard times for all of us, but things like this remind us of the reason that we are proud to be Americans. This Soldier is one of many thousands who have willingly taken the ultimate oath.
After I am finished with this note, I'll send a message to friendsofthe133rd@hotmail.com for their shipping info.
While hunting for trim for my '59 Apache 3800, I came across a near mint set of Fleetside script that I was going to peddle or trade, as our (my Wife's) Truck won't need.....being a flat-bed.......
We looked as close as we could at the 'before' picture of their pick-up and it doesn't look like the emblems were on there. So we were thinkin'......even if they raised enough funds to complete their rebuild, chances are that they may have had to resort to re-man emblems.
We sure would be proud to have Bruce & Terry's Pick-up sporting those OE, made in America, Fleetside emblems.
And if for some reason, they don't make it on the truck, they can be auctioned off and the funds can be applied elsewhere.
Our prayers for the Hays'.......
A.T. RockDriller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 04:15 PM   #37
JSE67

Did anybody watch Powerblock TV on Spike this morning? Reason I ask is they advertised a new show premiering in May 2011 that I think Loctite is sponsoring where they send a Ford Dually with a trailer around the country looking to restore cars for people with a story about hardships with restoring their cars. I immediatly thought of this thread. I don't know who is in charge of restoring this truck for this family, and if truth be known, whoever it is will probably do a better job of it. But I thought of this story and thought it might make for great television. Maybe if someone on this forum knows who to contact, they could get this info to them somehow. I think there is a website that you go to and tell your story, but that's about all I know. Anyway, that's just my 2 cents worth.

Jeff
JSE67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:30 PM   #38
CAL 58 GMC

What a low life that mechanic is! That really pisses me off to hear someone could take money from a hero who gave his life so that mechanic could have the freedom to own his own business and this is the way he repays him. It's a great thing there are people out there taken the time to finish the truck for Bruce Hays family. God bless our service men and women who unselfishly give of themselves for all of us!!!!

Last edited by CAL 58 GMC; 03-06-2011 at 06:38 PM.
CAL 58 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:05 AM   #39
Bigblueburban

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSE67 View Post
Did anybody watch Powerblock TV on Spike this morning? Reason I ask is they advertised a new show premiering in May 2011 that I think Loctite is sponsoring where they send a Ford Dually with a trailer around the country looking to restore cars for people with a story about hardships with restoring their cars. I immediatly thought of this thread. I don't know who is in charge of restoring this truck for this family, and if truth be known, whoever it is will probably do a better job of it. But I thought of this story and thought it might make for great television. Maybe if someone on this forum knows who to contact, they could get this info to them somehow. I think there is a website that you go to and tell your story, but that's about all I know. Anyway, that's just my 2 cents worth.

Jeff
I was thinking the same exact thing I watch power block every weekend and have been seeing that recently. I'm sure we could figure out how to send all the info to them to rebuild this truck. And they are top notch builders. I hope that mechanic gets his.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Bigblueburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:11 AM   #40
Heater63

For those of us that don't have a Bank of the West around, the contact for the Bruce Hays Memorial / Friends of the 133rd is a lady by the name of Stacy Morton. Please join me in helping, You can send a donation thru her at:

Bruce Hays Memorial
c/o Stacy Morton
PO box 856
Saratoga, WY

-Tad
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-02-2011, 01:37 PM   #41
1947hillbillytruck

this story makes me wanna paint this truck for free.I guess somebody closer to it feel the same.hopefully
1947hillbillytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:13 PM   #42
seldomseen65
spirit rider66

Location: pahrump, nevada, in the bowels of the Mojave desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeroadster View Post
A fallen soldier and his unfinished gift to his wife: 1959 Apache Pickup.

Please watch this video:

http://www.9news.com/rss/story.aspx?storyid=183372

The Friends of the 133rd will be holding an auction of April 2 at the Elks Lodge in Laramie. They are in need of auction items. Anyone wishing to help is asked to contact them via e-mail at friendsofthe133rd@hotmail.com.

You can also make cash donations at any Bank of the West. Two accounts have been set up. They are "Friends of the 133rd" and the "Bruce Hays Memorial."

LARAMIE WYOMING- It sits in a garage at a vocational technical school in Laramie, still in pieces. The rust has been peeled away from the body of the 1959 Chevrolet Apache pickup truck. Black primer masks the years. The original engine sits off to the side. No one knows if it will ever run again.

It is an unfinished gift.

"Part of Bruce is in that truck," Major Dean Hunhoff of the Wyoming Army National Guard said. "He always saw things through to the finish."

Bruce Hays bought the old pickup truck in 2008 as an anniversary gift for his wife, Terry. He planned to work with her to restore it.

In August 2008, Hays, a captain in the Wyoming Army National Guard, was deployed to Afghanistan in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. Before leaving, he paid a local mechanic $17,000 to restore the truck for his wife. It was to be a surprise for her when Hays returned.

Capt. Hays was serving as a combat advisor to Afghan security forces in the Hindu Kush Mountains. He was working with them build wells in villages. At 10,000 feet in elevation, roads in the area are primitive. It is an area where the Taliban is active.

"The enemy knew he was coming, but he had to go anyway and there was only one road to get there," Lt. Colonel Raymond Kent of the Wyoming Army National Guard said.

On the morning of Sept. 17, on that one road he had to take, Hays and three other American soldiers died when a roadside bomb exploded.

The three soldiers who died with Hays were Sgt. Joshua W. Harris of Romeoville, Ill, 1st Lt. Mohsin Naqui of Newburgh, NY and Staff Sgt. Jason A Vasquez of Chicago, Ill.

A memorial service was held for the four soldiers at their forward operating base in Afghanistan.

"Everything was pretty surreal," Kent said. "When you're doing a last call and you have the 21 gun salute go off. It just hits you that this is it. Bruce is really gone."

Hays left behind his wife, Terry, and two daughters, Bethany and Eleanor.

Back to that unfinished truck.

"It is Bruce's last wish," Kent said.

Hays' wish to give it as a gift vanished when the mechanic and money vanished without fixing the truck.

"Then after he was killed, he took the money and ran. It was very difficult," Hunhoff said.

This past January, friends decided the finish the job Hays had started. They hauled the truck to the garage at the vocational technical school in Laramie. Volunteers have worked to restore the body of the truck. The work is being slowed by a lack of money to buy the parts needed to finish the job.

A fundraising effort has begun to restore the truck so it can be given to the family.

The Friends of the 133rd will be holding an auction of April 2 at the Elks Lodge in Laramie. They are in need of auction items. Anyone wishing to help is asked to contact them via e-mail at friendsofthe133rd@hotmail.com.

You can also make cash donations at any Bank of the West. Two accounts have been set up. They are "Friends of the 133rd" and the "Bruce Hays Memorial."

The importance of the truck to the family can't be overstated.

"I believe it probably means a lot more to the family now than it ever did," Stacy Morton, who is coordinating fundraising efforts for the Friends of the 133rd, said.

"All they have of their dad right now is a picture," Kent said. "They need something they can put their hands on and they need to know how much people love their dad."

(KUSA-TV © 2011 Multimedia Holdings Corporation)
is it possible to give parts to this fundraiser?? I have some wheels that might just fit that 59 Chevy truck and maybe able to get some other parts ..
the wheels are 6 lug by 5.5 mounting holes , standard for 6 lug wheels..
name on them suggest cragars wheels,,series 320,,quick trick. the size on them is 15 wheel x 8" wide rim
Im me if this can help them ,,thanks again ~~~~~HOOOHA ARMY

Last edited by seldomseen65; 04-02-2011 at 05:15 PM.
seldomseen65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:25 PM   #43
seldomseen65
spirit rider66

Location: pahrump, nevada, in the bowels of the Mojave desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corts60 View Post
That is terrible. I hope that mechanic goes to jail for a long time.
HI GUYS; YOU KNOW IF WE COULD GET THE NAME OF THAT SO-CALLED MECHANIC ,,I'LL BET MY STRIPES ON IT THAT WE COULD FIND THAT ~~6=`9- ',f, person,,,due to that children may be on here i chose a better way to express his --------- on here .
IF ANY ONE KNOWS OF THIS MECHANIC PLEASE GIVE IT UP..AND WE WILL GET HIM TO THE LOCAL AUTHORITIES ASAP,,AS A FORMER MEMBER OF THE U S ARMY I REFUSE TO LET THIS GO ON AND NOT BE SETTLED BY THE AUTHORITIES IN THE COUNTY IT TOOK PLACE IN,,
Old 04-02-2011, 05:38 PM   #44
OrrieG

He has already been tried and is in jail.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:53 PM   #45
dicer

Someone should contact Overhaulin tv show. And how could that mechanic do that?
With that kinda money up front, he should have done the best job ever. Makes me think he didn't know what he was doing anyway, just a flim flam man.
dicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:29 AM   #46
57picupnewbie
'57 Rosa

Wow, I am amazed at the nerve of some people. God is good and blessings are rich. Prayers continue to go out to all the familes of those we have lost. Hope to see pictures of the finished truck soon.

Only two defining forces have ever died for us: CHRIST died for our salvation and VETERANS died for our freedoms. Glorify CHRIST and thank VETERANs
Dru~ USN Retired
57picupnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 04:47 AM   #47
55dude

tried to contact overhaulin and they no longer do the series, what a bummer!
55dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:47 AM   #48
jimig1

what about the new show on Spike Search and restore? http://www.searchandrestoretv.com/
MSRA Member

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the self-help section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.
-George Carlin
jimig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:58 AM   #49
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
I just received an email from a representative of the trust for Capt. Hays.

The mechanic was caught and is serving jail time.

She also indicated that through donations there is enough to finish the truck and it appears there will be money left over that will be donated to an organization helping wounded vets.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:22 PM   #50
Heater63

BUMP! It is done.

I'm glad I helped, I hope some of you joined me in contributing to their efforts in Wyoming. Capt. Hays would be so proud of those that carried on in his honor. I'm sure his wife and daughters will cherish this truck forever.

http://www.9news.com/video/default.a...AGE%7cfeatured

Thank you Capt. Hays.

-Tad