The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-13-2011, 04:58 PM   #1
HarleyGuy

New truck owner!

So first off I'm brand new to the forums and really excited I stumbled upon it. I can't believe some of the projects I've seen on here and the amount of help being given out.
So I've been eyeballing truck 1967-1972's for longer than I can remember. My boys both have been shown 100's if not 1,000's of them their entire lives. Well last week I was looking on Craigslist and found this old farm truck and decided I was done being a wanna be. Got my buddy Sam to make the drive up to Goldendale WA with me, about 135 miles and off we went.

I wasn't disappointed at all. As a matter of fact I was excited as hell!

Loaded her up and headed home. Talked a hundred miles an hour about all the plans while we drove her back.

Sam and I work together at a Dealership so we took her right down and decided we had to mess around a bit.

Sam had a set of wheels and tires he wasn't using so we slapped them right on.

Then we wanted to see what the old paint would do if we hit it with a little compound just for the heck of it.

Pulled the old farm rack off the box and she looks a lot better.

As you can see there is a lot of work to be done!

This is going to be a very slow project to start off. I'm going to focus on getting her to the point where I can drive her around a on occassion. Once I've decided what direction I ultimately want to go then I'll start really getting into it. She's got a 250 inline 6cyl with a 4 speed tranny and who know's what the future will bring. For now I just want a classy of petina rittled truck to play with.

Last edited by HarleyGuy; 11-13-2011 at 05:19 PM.
HarleyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:41 PM   #2
gearys 5600

Re: New truck owner!

Looks like a nice solid truck, Welcome to the site..

1969 custom/10 swb--SOLD
1968 swb 50th anniv.--SOLD
1967 camaro ss/rs..LS-6-speed, 16-year long project
1956 chevy nomad
1955 chevy 210 2-dr sedan
1978 el-camino ss 1-owner
gearys 5600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:11 PM   #3
Malamute

Looks good! Any specs?
Malamute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:57 PM   #4
Hollywood Knight

I think your plan is perfect , taking your time and seeing what you like the best.That's a real nice solid truck have fun with her and welcome to the board.
Hollywood Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:58 PM   #5
67chevy1series

to bad it didnt have the original dog dish's with the steelies on all four. that looks nice glad to see the original red come back to life
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:24 AM   #6
thelonerife

I had a truck the same color but it was a 68. The paint would buff up pretty good but it only lasted for a month or two and had to do it again. I had fun though. Good luck with your build.
thelonerife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:09 PM   #7
HarleyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
Looks good! Any specs?
Thanks Malamute. Hate to sound like a total noob but what the heck I am! What specs would one post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67chevy1series View Post
to bad it didnt have the original dog dish's with the steelies on all four. that looks nice glad to see the original red come back to life
I do have three of the four although there isn't any evidence of chrome left on them!

Ordered a new choke cable along with the bezels and knob today. She runs like a kitten once you get her started but won't start without a blast of starter fluid. The existing choke cable is froze up so I'll replace it once it comes in. I also have to get the seat figured out. I have a fella who does restoring on our used cars here at the dealership and he's going to give me an estimate of what he'll charge to rebuild the existing seat. I would imagine that'll be a couple hundred bucks. I want to have it done because the back of the seat will actually fold down and most I've seen are rigid.

Best update today is the wife saw the truck for the first time. She hasn't really said much about it initially as a matter of fact she was well lets just say far from being supportive. She came by my office and I took her around back and showed her the truck. She looked it over and then said "Hell I want this to be a pretty prestine hot rod for you!" Needless to say I was pretty excited about that response but I knew I had to through a tester out so I replied "Oh baby that's $10,000 down the road!" to which she replied "Oh I know" So looks like once I figure out exactly what it is I want to do I'll atleast have a green light from the Mrs.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:23 PM   #8
Officer68

Buff it up and clear over it, leaving the wear patches and such. Looks like a fantastic start
Posted via Mobile Device
Officer68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:04 AM   #9
lil hoodlum

Welcome to the board from North Texas. Sure looks like a neat truck. I like the gun rack in the back window. The new rims and tires look pretty good!

I have to ask, is that an emblem on the front part of the front fender or a little boo boo?

Anyways looks to be a nice little truck and hopefully will be a fun project for you to own and work on!

Keith
lil hoodlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:29 PM   #10
HarleyGuy

Ok so I have an idea but I don't know if it will work. The more time I spend looking at my truck the more I like the ole' patina look. Is it feasible to buff it up really nice, clean it as in degrease etc then have clear shot over it and actually keep it that way long term? I think I'd like to do this if I can find a true metal worker to work the dings and dents out for me. Feed back would really be appreciated!
Old 11-15-2011, 07:30 PM   #11
funkytechmonkey

Welcome to the forums... there are a ton of good builds on here. Dont let them consume you like they did me. I was just planning on doing a simple restore on a daily driver and after reading all these builds I ended up doing a complete frame off with rack and pinion and all new suspension.... spending WAAAAYYY too much money.
Boyd Welds Gas tank and mild c-notch.
Click here to view my build
funkytechmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:07 PM   #12
HarleyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil hoodlum View Post
Welcome to the board from North Texas. Sure looks like a neat truck. *I like the gun rack in the back window. The new rims and tires look pretty good!

**I have to ask, is that an emblem on the front part of the front fender or a little boo boo?
Anyways looks to be a nice little truck and hopefully will be a fun project for you to own and work on!

Keith
*I love the gun rack and I plan to find a vintage daisey to hang in the back.

**There are bow tie emblems on each front fender and there is also a boo boo on the passanger front fender as well. I'm hoping our paintless dent repair guy can play with it and some of the others and massage them away for me.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:16 PM   #13
big_al_71

Welcome to the board....Great find with that old farm truck.

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:29 PM   #14
dmack91

I have been watching that one on CL for a while. Glad to see it went to someone willing to appreciate and enjoy it.

Welcome to the site. It is by far the most helpful bunch of people I have found on the net - -bar none.
dmack91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:15 PM   #15
HarleyGuy

dmack any leads on a bench seat over your side of the mountain? I'm in need of one and my buddy is over there every other week atleast.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:22 AM   #16
lil hoodlum

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyGuy View Post
*I love the gun rack and I plan to find a vintage daisey to hang in the back.

**There are bow tie emblems on each front fender and there is also a boo boo on the passanger front fender as well. I'm hoping our paintless dent repair guy can play with it and some of the others and massage them away for me.
Thanks for the response. I only ask about the boo boo because it kinda looks like a camper cruiser emblem for the 1967 GMCs.

Well I like all of the changes you have done to the old gal so far. I hope you enjoy owning and driving her for along time!

Keith
Old 11-16-2011, 12:36 AM   #17
dmack91

Have him call Ira's wrecking yard in Madras, as they had 3 trucks last time I drove by, but I don't know if they have any seats.

181 Southwest Merritt Lane
Madras, Oregon, 97741
Phone: (541)475-3861

Here is a seat in Salem for $50:

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/pts/2673918021.html

One in Medford for $75:

http://medford.craigslist.org/pts/2663724485.html

Best I can do. Haven't seen anyone locally parting one out for a while.
dmack91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:42 AM   #18
fakerwade

Have you thought about shortening it?
Build thread "TANGERINE" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=498570

Board Members Met: bigblock68, ol_skool_chevy ,68TT,atvpro
fakerwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:33 PM   #19
808_67C10

Nice truck.... I like the patina paint!!!
67 C/10 SOLD http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489298
79 K5 Blazer SOLD http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=657461
808_67C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:37 PM   #20
HarleyGuy

Not a lot to report in on really. I did take a few hours the other day and pulled her into a detail bay at work. All I really wanted to do was clean up the interior a little and see how the inside of the cab looked. I was overall really happy with what I found. I did find my first area of cancer but it is small. I would like some input if you all could take a look.

Here is what I started out with. Had a upholstery fella look at the seat and he said he could do complete rebuild of the seat ie repair springs all new foam etc for $350 and if I wanted something really nice $450ish. The seat back is one that will fold down and I have been told that is somewhat rare?

So I pull the seat out and really all I have is 40+ years of dirt and dust.

Found the cause of the little stinky pellets. His mate was behind the cover of the fuel tank.

A little elbow grease combined with grease cleaner and she looks pretty nice.

Then I pull off the seal plates and I find this on the drivers side.

Closer look

and another

So I know I'll need to repair it eventually but I'm thinking for now wirebrush/grinder and maybe just take a piece of sheet metal up for now. New seal plate and I'm good? Does that sound like a reasonable plan for now?

On a side note I did drive her the other day just down the road a few miles and back. I have to say I had a blast just putting gas in her. I pulled up got out and I see the fella next to me eyeballing my truck. He wonders over and this:

(h) Nice old chevy you got there!
(m) yea I just picked her the other day.
(h) Oh yea nice. 350?
(m) nope 250 inline 6.
(h) oh yea great motor she'll run for ever!
(m) Yea hell she said for three years. I hit 'er with a shot of starting fluid she fired right up and purred like a kitten!
(h)Well she's a nice one.
(m) Thank ya!

Lol I was like a big kid with my first bike. Don't know why but this just made my day!
Old 11-18-2011, 07:26 PM   #21
50bomb

You have a cool truck. Good job. Keep it up
50bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:31 PM   #22
Malamute

Sorry for the delayed response, by specs I meant motor, tranny, etc. From seeing the interior pics I can see that it's a 4 spd. I'm guessing a 6 cyl or 283 for the motor?
Malamute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:26 PM   #23
HarleyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
Sorry for the delayed response, by specs I meant motor, tranny, etc. From seeing the interior pics I can see that it's a 4 spd. I'm guessing a 6 cyl or 283 for the motor?
Yea 4 speed on the floor (granny gear) with 250 6cyl.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:53 PM   #24
fakerwade

Hey HarleyGuy looks like you'll need to replace the inner and outer rocker panels. You should also check your cab corners and the bottom of your kick panels and the floor where they meet. Northwest trucks rust but not as bad as they do in other areas
Build thread "TANGERINE" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=498570

Board Members Met: bigblock68, ol_skool_chevy ,68TT,atvpro
fakerwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:56 PM   #25
lil hoodlum

Inside of the cab sure cleaned up nice. That seat and seat cover sure have seen better days. I like the pillow wedged in there. I did the same thing to my old last seat.

Are you going to keep the card-board gas tank cover? That is a neat piece that usually gets tossed or destroyed over the years.

Have you checked under the seat or behind the seat back of the seat? Sometimes there is a factory build sheet tucked up between the springs and foam that lists where it was manufactured at and any options that were ordered with it as well as other pertinent information about your truck. Some people try to remove the build sheet to save it.

Looks like you will be buying some new brake and clutch pedals too!

Good luck!

Keith