The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-22-2011, 09:01 PM   #26
HarleyGuy

Re: New truck owner!

Yea overall it did clean up nicely. I will be replaceing the inner and outer rocker panels on the driver side luckily the passenger side is fine. As for the seat it has seen better days for sure. I'm going to hang on to it and eventually have it redone. Going to pick one up off of craigslist for $50 and use it for now. I will be keeping the tank cover as it's in really nice shape. I didn't see a build sheet anywhere when I had the seat out. Going to oder a complete set of peddles for sure.
Got the choke cable replaced and I tell you for being as old as that ole 6 cyl is it runs like a champ. Have to choke it and let her warm up but she's happy as a lark after that. I still haven't take it home but I probably will in the next day or two. Kind of waiting since I'm sure I'll have to battle with the wife over the shop space since she thinks her Ridgeline has dibs on the shop.
HarleyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:41 PM   #27
HarleyGuy

Hey guys I have a question. I'm thinking of buying a welder since I have to do the rocker panels and who knows what else once I actually start working the truck. What should I be looking for in a welder? Specifics would be great.
Thanks for the advice!
Old 11-22-2011, 10:17 PM   #28
Bennett68C10

Welcome to the board and nice find you have there, alot less rust then I started with
Posted via Mobile Device

66 Suburban

Burb Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=751361

IG: bennett68c10
Bennett68C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:35 PM   #29
a2tripp

trucks looking good

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyGuy View Post
Hey guys I have a question. I'm thinking of buying a welder since I have to do the rocker panels and who knows what else once I actually start working the truck. What should I be looking for in a welder? Specifics would be great.
Thanks for the advice!
three letters - TIG

seriously though, how much do you want to spend? i started of with a cheapo harbor frieght box, it sucked, I think it had 2% duty cylcle to it. Anyhow it nice to have because you can plug it in anywhere and it will get those rockers done.

Get the most for your money, I bet you Friday there will be some good deals out there

Alaska members check in
a2tripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:00 PM   #30
fakerwade

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyGuy View Post
Thanks for the advice!
I bought a used (but in good shape) Miller--millermatic 130, it's a mig that runs on 110 volts. Paid $500 and have used the crap out of it, seems like a real nice machine especially for thinner gauge metal. I don't think I'd use it on anything thicker than 3/16". The millermatic 135 seems to be more popular but I don't know that there's much difference. I'm really happy with my miller "pro hobby" auto darkening helmet, it was about $150 but well worth it.

If your doing your own rockers you might want to check out a video series on youtube that shows you step by step how to do it. The video series is done by a guy who calls himself the "mobile hot rod mechanic" (I think). He also has these videos on his website mobilehotrodrepair.com. Hope this helps.
Build thread "TANGERINE" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=498570

Board Members Met: bigblock68, ol_skool_chevy ,68TT,atvpro
fakerwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:23 AM   #31
JRE

Welcome to the board Neighbor. I've got a 67 1/2 ton long box also. Try Keymotors in Molalla they have 15 67-72 Chevy and GMC trucks. I do paint work if you need any help feel free to get ahold of me. Chevy Mel is in Portland and has allot of new and used parts also. He advertises on CL allot. I'm Going to try and orginize a Get together for all us Oregon and washington guys soon. JRE aka Justin
JRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:57 AM   #32
fakerwade

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRE View Post
Welcome to the board Neighbor. I've got a 67 1/2 ton long box also. Try Keymotors in Molalla they have 15 67-72 Chevy and GMC trucks. I do paint work if you need any help feel free to get ahold of me. Chevy Mel is in Portland and has allot of new and used parts also. He advertises on CL allot. I'm Going to try and orginize a Get together for all us Oregon and washington guys soon. JRE aka Justin
You might want to check out the thread; "Our new 69C10 project" ,,,, he's from Canby, OR.
Build thread "TANGERINE" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=498570

Board Members Met: bigblock68, ol_skool_chevy ,68TT,atvpro
fakerwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:01 AM   #33
dmack91

Welder depends on what you plan on doing with it and what you want to spend. 110v will do sheet metal work, but is generally stretching things if you are wanting to do much structural. I know some people do frame work with 110v welders, but I would be cautious doing so.

A good 220v Miller, Lincoln, or Hobart are hard to beat. Most people seem to prefer Miller. I just picked up a Hobart 175 that I am playing with. There are a lot of people who know a lot more than me (OK, just about everyone) that will hopefully chime in.
dmack91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 04:39 PM   #34
HarleyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRE View Post
We'll have to hoop up some time that would be fun. I found Keymotors on GL looks like he's got it all which is great to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakerwade View Post
You might want to check out the thread; "Our new 69C10 project" ,,,, he's from Canby, OR.
I'm looking it up now thanks for the heads up!
Old 12-02-2011, 02:22 AM   #35
67chevy1series

anymore progress?
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:29 AM   #36
JRE

Sounds good. Send me a private message and I'll give you my Cell number
JRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:56 AM   #37
Dingfodgy
Lemme show you something!!

Welcome from up north in St.Helens! I have family out there in Yamhill County......beautiful country for sure. I was eyeballin that truck too- glad it went to a good home.
I have a 67 shorty (GMC) that I've been tinkering on for a couple years now- of your ever need help or advice just PM me.
Posted via Mobile Device
'95 BMW 325i ("Joy")
Dingfodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:53 PM   #38
HarleyGuy

Haven't really made any progess lately. Holidays always slow stuff down for me. I'm hopefully going to score a seat for it this week and probably throw a clutch in her. I took it out for a short drive and besides the clutch being pretty much all the way up top it also slips when I excellerate while cruising.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:16 AM   #39
dmack91

Clutches are easy and cheap - you should be on the road in no time.

Looks like that $50 seat is still for sale in Salem CL, no pic though.
dmack91 is offline   Reply With Quote