The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-11-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
kursed

"Nasty Nadine" 1969 Custom10 SWB Fleet

Bought it last week and picked it up today. So stoked to be back in a C10.

1969 Custom10 Short Fleet
250 I-6
3 Speed on the tree
Former farm truck so there's plenty of rot all around. Corners, rockers, bed, gate. Driver's door is smashed in pretty bad. No sweat, I love her anyway. I probably paid way more than she's worth, but she was worth it to me.

Plans are to get her lower, clean her up, and DRIVE DRIVE DRIVE. Who knows what might happen along the way, but for now, I'm leaving the rot. Got started on lowering today. Ordered some blocks for the rear. Springs are pretty worn out anyway, so we're gradually heating them. I know it's not the proper way. I did the Belltech kit on my last 71 Cheyenne, and this one I just said what the hey, let's budget build her and just have tons of fun.

Ordered new lenses and lense gaskets all around. Driver's door mirror head, and inside rearview assembly. I'll post up pics as she progresses.

Day I bought her

Yeah that's an OG Western Auto Truetone 8 track player!

Today picking her up and putting the heat to her first thing.

kursed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:24 PM   #2
brian1971

Re: "Nasty Nadine" 1969 Custom10 SWB Fleet

Love the truck,short fleetsides look good in any condition.Looks like a real complete original truck.

67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=558024
brian1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:14 PM   #3
VA72C10
VA72C10

Sounds like fun. Although you'd be MUCH better off if you found another set of coils and cut 1 or 1 1/4" of coils off of them. Will ride much better and is safer. I have a set of stock front springs I'd sell for $10. I'm in VA....we're having a meet/greet next Saturday that you'd be welcome to come to...with or without the truck if you didn't want to drive all that way in it or it wasn't ready.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:09 AM   #4
kursed

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
Sounds like fun. Although you'd be MUCH better off if you found another set of coils and cut 1 or 1 1/4" of coils off of them. Will ride much better and is safer. I have a set of stock front springs I'd sell for $10. I'm in VA....we're having a meet/greet next Saturday that you'd be welcome to come to...with or without the truck if you didn't want to drive all that way in it or it wasn't ready.
She'll eventually get some drop springs, just have to make up my mind on which motor I'm building for it. I've got another set of stock springs, and have cut them before, but thanks. Idon't know if I'll make the meet and greet this time, but soon for sure and thanks for the invite. Going camping that weekend I believe.

I'm going to look at a motor this evening. If the guy still has it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-17-2013, 07:07 PM   #5
kursed

Well I torqued a muscle in my back, so I've been no good for a couple days. I did manage to put some new lenses on the truck. Paul rolled around underneath the beast and installed my 2" blocks for me. Then we put the smoke wrench on it and lowered her another couple inches. That's as low as she goes for now. I'm happy with it. I put a new mirror head on the driver's door. Started to install new inside rear view, UH OH! That's where we stopped. Guess I ordered the wrong mirror from Eckler's cause it's not matching up to the holes in my cab. The mirror that was in the cab didn't look original, but the screw holes in the cab do look original. Doesn't look like anyone has altered the cab or mounting surface, just looks like the swapped another mirror in. Hmmm...

Old mirror is the not so shiny one, new mirror is the shiny one.

1973 Buick LeSabre hub caps?
Old 07-19-2013, 08:25 PM   #6
kursed

Been slow because of the bum back, but I managed to spray bome the rims white and flipped the old cooper tires to white wall out. New break hoses on the front and started swapping in a power brake setup from a parts truck my friend Paul had.

Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-21-2013, 02:54 PM   #7
kursed

Finished painting the rims. Flipped all the white walls out and cleaned them. Finished converting to power brakes. Still needs new shoes and I have to figure out what's wrong with the e-brake. New front and rear brake hoses.

Covered the seat with a serape blanket and hog ringed everything down. Added a little more foam to fill in the holes.

New plugs and set the timing. Needs a cap, rotor, and points pretty bad, but I just got a line on an H.E.I. from a friend so I will probably pick that up soon.

Will probably put some dog dish caps of some sort back on, just not sure yet. Drove it around a little, went to a friend's house and picked up a new driver's door. Will patch it, paint it, swap glass and hardware soon, then install it.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:58 PM   #8
67anthony

Looking good man !
67anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:15 PM   #9
kursed

Thanks!

She has many years worth of work left, but I'll never be done so there's no time crunch. LOL. Just clean, patch, polish, alter a little, and DRIVE DRIVE DRIVE!
Old 07-23-2013, 09:28 PM   #10
kursed

Update on the beater. Yesterday I scored an H.E.I. dizzy from a friend who was planning on converting it to use on his Jeep and changed his mind. Chased down the headlight problem to a bad dimmer switch. Replaced that and now have good headlights. Drove her around a bit this weekend.

So today I start her up to go for a ride and... knock knock knockity knock...

So I put the old broomstick listening device on her and determine the knock is coming from the top end. I'm asuming the bad gas has varnished her so bad that it may have a stuck valve and a bent pushrod or something similar.

So the plan is to find a decent cheap 350 and replace everything fuel related from the tank to the carb. I know I'm going to need a V8 sending unit for the new tank (probably a blazer tank) but the gauges and everything else should be all the same right?

So much for the H.E.I. distributor. :/
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-25-2013, 09:34 AM   #11
kursed

Tags came in ;}~

Also, if anyone's interested in checking out the goofy **** our local club gets into, check us out on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Frank...69198386448590
Old 07-25-2013, 02:05 PM   #12
mcbassin
Still Learning

Looks like a very cool project. I'm in
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:42 AM   #13
kursed

Ok, so as cool as I think the original 250 is, I just can't find the drive to keep and build it at the moment. I glass beaded the plugs and started her back up hoping it would straighten out some. No such luck. Cylinder #2 seems to be the problem area and I'll pull the valve cover to see exactly what's going on soon, but in the meantime we're doing a motor swap to get her back on the road.

So I've got a 1972 Chevelle Malibu that was passed down by my grandfather and then my father to me. It has a 1971 Camaro Z28 350 in it currently and has been sitting for a long long time. Around 12 years I guess. Motor has been rebuilt at some point and changed from solid lift to hydraulic. Bored .30 over, and a mild cam added. I used to drag race the Chevelle years ago and burnt the clutch packs up in the th350. Then I got married, had kids, deployed to Iraq twice and hence she sat for a long time. Factory high rise intake and some sweet finned valve covers. Plan is fresh gaskets, freeze plugs, fresh paint, and hopefully she'll be a good runner until I can source/build the big block that I want for the truck someday.

Anyway I'm dragging her out of hiding today. Apparently she hasn't been hidden too well as someone has snagged the alternator off at some point. If it doesn't stay locked down in my city it grows legs. I can't wait to move to county. We'll haul her to the Frankensteins' shop this week and start the transplant. I'll update as things move along.

Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by kursed; 07-28-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:52 PM   #14
kursed

After I dragged the Chevelle out today. First time she's seen the light of day in 7 years.

Found this Powerglide I had stashed away for a Gremlin drag car I was working on YEARS ago. It was in the trunk of the Chevelle and I had forgotten I even had the damn thing. Plan to sell it for project funds for the C10/Chevelle. It's a 1968 Powerglide as far as I can tell. Stamped 18W308095 on passenger side of case near bellhousing.

Started pulling the 250 out of the truck. Got some stuff unbolted and pretty close to pulling it out. Anybody want a 250 that misses and smokes a little for cheap ???
Old 07-28-2013, 09:23 PM   #15
flashed

Where did you get the material for the seat cover ,I like it .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:07 PM   #16
kursed

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
Where did you get the material for the seat cover ,I like it .
eBay. Glad you asked because I don't think I really said much about it before and I've been asked by several local friends lately "how come your Mexican blankets look so much cooler and bigger than the one's I'm finding?"

So here's what I've found out over the years.

Most folks commonly call these style of "Truck Stop Blankets" Mexican blankets. They're actual name is "Falsa Blanket" and they can be found anywhere from actual truck stops to numerous places on the internet. These are usually pretty inexpensive, I've found this style from around $5 BUT these are sometimes made in China and Taiwan and they often fall under the "you get what you pay for" as they tend to be a lot smaller, rougher texture, and just plain blah after a while.

The style I used in my truck are called "Serape Blankets" (sometimes called "Saltillo Blankets" because they make a lot of them in Saltillo Mexico) and actually made in Mexico. I'm sure there are knockoffs out there made in other places, but the lady I got mine from used to take trips to Mexico and bring these back then sell them on eBay. She wasn't selling anymore last time I checked, but I have several already. This blue one, another in shades of green/yellow, and another in shades of orange/red. They are my favorite because they are usually really big, really soft, and come in so many different color and pattern variations you always find something different to suit your taste.

Sorry for the long history lesson to answer a simple question, but it'll help to find the different styles and help you find one you like.

Google Shopping Search Results for "Serape Blanket"
https://www.google.com/search?q=sera...w=1680&bih=959
Old 07-29-2013, 08:01 AM   #17
mcbassin
Still Learning

Sounds like a good plan you have for the motor upgrade. Cool old Chevelle too.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:35 AM   #18
kursed

Thanks. Hopefully after all this motor mess I can find time to do some work on the Chevelle and get her back on the road as well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-03-2013, 11:15 PM   #19
kursed

Boy do I feel silly. I was expecting worse case scenario with that loud knock and burning oil so badly. Went to the shop today finally and pulled the valve cover. One of the rocker studs had backed out quite a bit. So we tightened the stud down and it's running like a champ. Hopefully get a few more miles out of her after all. So the 250 inline six is staying in for a while and I'm keeping the 71 Camaro 350 in the Chevelle for now. Going to try to get the Chevelle back on the road soon too.

I guess I just wasn't prepared for all the crazy horsepower a Chevy inline six makes. So powerful it just throws internal parts everywhere! What a beast

Video of her running again.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:20 AM   #20
502ms

Hey, loving the white steelies and whitewalls. Those 250s are great on gas and can get your around town quickly! I had one in my 72 GMC LWB C1500 with a 3 OTT - I loved driving it
Old 08-12-2013, 05:00 PM   #21
kursed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 502ms View Post
Hey, loving the white steelies and whitewalls. Those 250s are great on gas and can get your around town quickly! I had one in my 72 GMC LWB C1500 with a 3 OTT - I loved driving it
Thanks man. I'm following your build thread for sure.

Well I did most of this last weekend before I got sick.

Some shots of the rot that we're dealing with. It'll stay for a good long while I suppose. Maybe patch it someday.

Mounted my devil head bottle opener on the driver side rear wheel tub. I have since moved this to the inside driver's bedside. It was at too steep of an angle on the tub and making me spill too much of my beer.

Before and after of my nasty funky engine. I sprayed it down with some cleaner then hit her with a pressure washer. Washed a lot of paint off along with the 44 years of crud. I'll eventually pull the motor and trans, freshen up the gaskets, and repaint it all. Hopefully sometime in the next month or so.

Mounted a # 10 pool ball for the shift knob and adjusted the shifter a little. Still need to adjust a little more and the pool ball is just too heavy and clunky on there so I have another trick up my sleeve for a cool shift knob.

Started fabbing up a plate to mount my kick butt stereo system. 1973 Buick LeSabre factory installed Audiovox AM/FM 8 track player!

I also re-drilled and mounted the new rear view mirror inside the cab. Nice to be able to see behind me now.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:35 AM   #22
kursed

Put new plugs in at 5AM yesterday morning. Drove it to the shop and it still has a funky miss. It is very inconsistent on when it develops the miss. Sometimes at a traffic light or sometimes while going uphill. The carb definitely needs rebuilt and the points are also bad. Going to try putting the H.E.I. in sometime this week. Hopefully get time to rebuild the carb soon as well.

So I worked on the new/used driver side door I bought. Its off of a top and bottom trim truck, has a big patch cut out of bottom outside, bottom inside is rotten. So I'll patch it up, paint it, and put it on. At least it doesn't have a giant dent right in the middle and affecting the door latch. Got wrapped up in working and forgot to take pics.

I ground down where it needs to be patched and where someone had globbed bondo into the trim holes. Welded the top trim holes closed. Welded the tri post mirror mount holes closed, and welded the cracked vent window perch inside the window channel. Stripped all the hardware that was left on it and sandblasted. Will order an inside bottom patch pannel soon and I already cut and formed patches for the outside.

Then I said screw working for the rest of the day and went and watched...

Old 08-19-2013, 10:20 PM   #23
kursed

Well, I had to go by the shop to pick up / drop off some junk. So I figured, might as well work a little while I'm here. I primed some door hinges and a door latch. Then I switched up the shift knob a little in favor of something a little less clunky than the pool ball. Used "Gorilla Glue" to hold it to the shift lever. Turned out to be real close to the original Captain Morgan color.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:00 AM   #24
kursed

Rebuilt the CarbyRator last weekend. Rochester Monojet. Went fairly straightforward. Some previous owner has beat on it pretty bad with a hammer and the carb number is almost unreadable because of that. It was full of nastiness, par for the course on this truck I guess. Installed it and it ran good for about 10 seconds. Then I noticed a slight fuel drip at the inlet nut. Went to snug it up a little and... SNAP! The threads popped and it started spraying fuel everywhere. So I already know the Rochesters are notorious for this issue, don't believe me just google "rochester stripped threads" and see for yourself. I gave up for the day and will get back on it either later this week or this coming weekend. Going to try some thread tape first, if that doesn't do the trick I'll just break out the J.B.Weld and fix it for good. Not like these carbs are hard to find if I want to find another.

Before

See where someone has replaced one of the breather stand screws at some point, not a good sign.

All sorts of funk in the float bowl.

After

It's HAMMERTIME! WTF were they thinking?!?!

Old 08-31-2013, 02:59 PM   #25
kursed

Well, I tried teflon tape to stop the fuel from spraying out where the nut was stripped. Didn't work. So I tried some new Loctite stuff called "Stick N' Seal" and no luck with that either. Ended up just using JB Weld and it's working really good so far.

So I put new points, condenser, cap, and rotor on. Decided against the H.E.I. for now. I think I'll try the Pertronix ignitor out soon and see how it does. Got her running pretty good, but it has a slight miss when it's not under load. I'm sure the dwell needs to be set, then the timing. I may also have something a little off in the carb, because it seems like it's running a tad rich. I'll tinker with it some over the weekend and update as I get it.