The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-12-2024, 05:04 PM   #1
ga-stepside

Timken bearing issue

I spent hours searching for Timken bearings for the rear axles. I finally found the part number for these from Timken is 6408. I found them on Amazon with next day delivery. They arrived today in Timken boxes marked 6408 but when I opened the boxes they were both Koyo bearings, same as what I took out of the truck. Research says this happens a lot and a couple posts said Koyo bought out Timken. I went back to Amazon and found 5 different manufactures with that same part number.
ga-stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 05:19 PM   #2
Joyridin

Re: Timken bearing issue

Yes, it is common. Timken may not manufacture that part number anymore, so they buy it and re-box it.

Some years ago I bought Timken bearing for a vehicle. I got home and there was a white note in both boxes stating the bearings were made in China and the box may be labeleed incorrectly. That was a real eye opener.
Joyridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 05:39 PM   #3
pjmoreland

https://news.timken.com/2009-12-31-T...iness-to-JTEKT
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 05:40 PM   #4
ga-stepside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyridin View Post
Yes, it is common. Timken may not manufacture that part number anymore, so they buy it and re-box it.

Some years ago I bought Timken bearing for a vehicle. I got home and there was a white note in both boxes stating the bearings were made in China and the box may be labeleed incorrectly. That was a real eye opener.
At least these say made in USA. I did send Timken a message requesting an explanation, we'll see if they respond.
Old 04-13-2024, 04:20 PM   #5
ga-stepside

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmoreland View Post
I guess that clears that up. I still don't like advertising something from one company and receiving a product not made from that company but boxed in their company package. Seems like "bait and switch" to me. I remember when GM put Chevy engines in Oldsmobiles without telling buyers they were getting Chevy engines. I believed they were sued for that.
Old 04-13-2024, 05:39 PM   #6
jumpsoffrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga-stepside View Post
I guess that clears that up. I still don't like advertising something from one company and receiving a product not made from that company but boxed in their company package. Seems like "bait and switch" to me. I remember when GM put Chevy engines in Oldsmobiles without telling buyers they were getting Chevy engines. I believed they were sued for that.

I've got two opinions on this:

1) I've been knee deep in roller-bearing-world for the last few months between transmissions and front hub bearings. Koyo, Timken, National, Federal Mogul, Bower.....these are all names I've seen used on old vehicles which I've torn apart, that were serviced in a time where parts were made with quality. These brands also makes oil seals.

If I see a bearing with these names, I give it a bit of credit.

There are Koyo USA bearings, and Koyo Japan, all seem top quality. Yes some Timken is Korea and Taiwan...who knows how bad or good they truly are.

2) Your complaint of "I still don't like advertising something from one company and receiving a product not made from that company but boxed in their company package"--this is understandable, but I'd like to remind that this is what Carquest and NAPA have done for many decades.

I have searched eBay for bearings and seals a lot recently and have seen many NOS bearing boxes that look quite old say "Federal mogul" But inside is a part by National or Timken. Just the same for Koyo.

This name-switcharoo is nothing remotely new. But most of these brands are longstanding and trustworthy.
jumpsoffrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 07:00 PM   #7
SRU1436

I just bought timken bearings for my chevelle from rockauto and they had made in USA on them.
SRU1436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 07:24 PM   #8
72c20customcamper

It’s really hit and miss I was doing the wheel bearings on my 68 c20 HO was in a hurry got Duralasts as they were in store at a decent price . Pulled out the bearings they were Timmons made in the USA . Was pleasantly surprised to say the least
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.

Last edited by 72c20customcamper; 04-15-2024 at 08:25 AM.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 01:48 AM   #9
kwmech

KOYO is an excellent bearing. Timken does not have the rep they used to have 20 or so years ago. They're not all made in the US. I've seen them with different places of manufacture.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 08:05 AM   #10
Jason Banks

Don't buy anything from Amazon that you want to make sure is authentic. So many counterfeits.

Even if you buy an item that is listed as "Sold by Amazon" they comingle their inventory. So, some seller may have sent counterfeits in to sell as the real thing. When you place an order they just pull the item from the closest(they may be other factors too) warehouse and send you that.

I won't order bearings, anything ACDelco, Motorcraft, injectors, sensors, anything where quality or precision matters.

With that said, a Koyo made in Japan bearing should be a good bearing.

Rockauto has been great for Timken bearings for me.

eBay is risky, unless the seller clearly states, what you see in the pictures is what you get.
Jason Banks is online now   Reply With Quote