The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-22-2016, 04:34 PM   #1
I Have No Idea

1969 c10 build "the grinch" (gonna be pic heavy)

I have been building this truck for the past 5-6 months so I figured id post up the build as of now. (gonna be updating this as time permits)

The plans for the truck were pretty simple. Basically new everything except for the body. I wanted to do a patina truck since Ive never done one. (technically this is my first classic truck build) I have a 68 Cadillac and a 67 continental as well. Here is a list of things I knew I wanted for the final product.

67-72 c10 shortbed
Truck has to be Air-bagged and lay on the ground.
Original Paint
LS engine
Air Conditioning
Transport Wheels
Modernize everything but keep an original look.

I was looking for a light green 503 truck with original paint. That was basically all I wanted. I found a decently straight one on ebay and had it shipped in from KY. It was a farmers truck that hauled fertilizer so the inner bed floor was rusted but most of the normal rust spots weren't too bad. Cab corners, roof and rockers were good. the only down side (to me, for this build, was that it was a long bed.) here are a few pictures of when I received it.

I received the truck October 14th 2015. (at about 12am) This was also the first time driving 3 on the tree! (made it a quick learning experience to get it into my shop!) put it away and went home to try and get some sleep. The next day I did a visual overview and started planing out what I was gonna do.

I choose the name "The Grinch" because the protectolate has the date of 12/24/68 on it and to me I could picture an "old man" at the dealership on christmas eve, buying himself a truck instead of presents for the family! Plus it didnt hurt the truck was green.

Pics...

I was trying to figure out what I was gonna use for the suspension first.

Originaly I was going to use all porterbuilt stuff but then I saw that the Roadstershop had a full chassis that was going to be released very soon. I looked into that and decided that would be the way to go. The Roadstershop chassis was basically a full Rolling chassis ready to set my cab and bed onto (with minor cutting, or so they said) It was all computer designed and cut and then welded up. Figured this would be a better way to go since its a fully boxed chassis that wasnt using a bunch of 40year old chassis parts. (plust it would save me a bunch of cutting and grinding) I placed my order during sema of that year. I was quoted 8-12 weeks for build and ship time. Those weeks couldn't go by fast enough!

Stock pic of the chassis...

I then took the time waiting for the chassis to order all sorts of parts from interior pieces to exterior trim. The truck ran a drove when I received it but it was leaking oil out of the rear main like crazy...

Last edited by I Have No Idea; 09-22-2016 at 04:37 PM. Reason: title change
I Have No Idea is offline   Reply With Quote