The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-12-2011, 01:40 PM   #1
Ironhorse

Additonal Speakers ?

Thia is not quite truck related but it is audio relative so here goes. Another one of my projects is a '71 Chevelle 2 dr. Have gotten quite a bit done with the mechanical end and have been driving it from time to time. Need to get some tunes going so here is the problem.

The after market head unit was cut into the dash, which is plastic, ABS, or ...? and is a single DIN sized unit. Since the dash was already cut that took that "cut or don't cut" out of the equation. I was able to find a Sony, 200 watt am/fm/cd/cassette which is also single din with removeable faceplate. Problem is the back deck of the Chevelle has two holes cut for 6x9 speakers and two holes cut for 6" round speakers. (????) I have a pair of Pioneer 6x9 150 watt tri-axials on hand and also a pair of 6" round Pioneer 180 watt co-axials. The rear shelf or back deck holes look like they were cut with a small hatchet or worse. I can clean them up somewhat with a grinder / file but will I better my self by adding both sets of speakers together or just go with the 6x0's and "patch" the 6" round holes some way?

If I run all four speakers together what is the best way to wire them or how do I go about that? Bear in mind I'm not a real audio guru at all, I know enough maybe to be dangerous at it. LOL Any replies and tips are much appreciated.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:10 PM   #2
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Re: Additonal Speakers ?

I would run the 6x9's in the rear and find a way to run the 6's in the front. I ran 6x9's in the rear of my camaro only, and having all the sound come from the back of my head wasn't very pleasing. It was like it was screaming at me if I turned it up loud which I had to do to hear it over the 454.

Maybe a new package tray cover will be a cheap fix to hide the 6" holes?

As for wiring, just run a channel to each speaker from the head unit. Use the 6's as the fronts and the 6x9's as there rear (left/right accordingly). If you run an amp to them, get a 4 channel amp that matches the power of the speakers and do the same.

I'm not familiar with the Chevelle's interior for speakers. Is there anywhere you can put 6's in the front?
Old 09-13-2011, 02:14 PM   #3
Ironhorse

Thanks for the reply. As for the 6" round speakers the only real place for them in the front of a Chevelle would be a kick panel placement. Problem with that is they quite likely would get "kicked" The Chevelle does have front speaker locations for shallow mount 4x6's under the front dash pad. Have not pulled the dash pad yet to see if they are even there, if they are, they are not presently hooked up. For the time being I have the 6's just setting in the holes hacked in by the previous owner so they look like they are there on purpose.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:30 PM   #4
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Building a set of kicks would be the best route, and if they are in an area where kicking them is an issue, usually they are covered with carpet instead of cloth/vinyl so it's not so noticable. Just be sure to use the gaurds to protect the speakers and you should be fine.