The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-10-2009, 12:40 AM   #1
iluvmy72

need more horses....any advice?

I have a 1997 Stock 7.4(454)vortec. The skinny: I want 450 HP. And I want to keep it when I'm towing a trailer up a grade while the A/C is blasting and the engine is still cool and not over heating. Is that asking too much? Money is tight so what would be the best route to go with headers/exhaust system and after market air cooler. I've been thinking about water injection and a different cam. But I'm not quite sure which cams would get me significant gains in a stock engine. Would that make a difference? Hell, I had a 454 in a luv back in the day that got 477 on the dyno. I know this engine can do better than 298. It's a 454 for gods sake. I mean when these newer vortec engines hit the market in 96, all GM could do is rave about the 7.4 model being the pinnacle of their truck engine. What about reprogramming the CPU or a Bully Dog setup?
iluvmy72 is offline   Reply With Quote