The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-30-2019, 09:48 AM   #1
Dragcamaro

Question 4l60E Compatability question

Hi all,....

I finally took the plunge and snagged a deal on a complete 2002 Yukon 5.3 engine with decent miles for a good price that I want to put in my 1970 C10 (currently has the original I6/3 OTT). Just the entire engine setup, no trans at time of purchase as the one it came with was already gone ( And a 4wd). I'd like to use the existing engine harness I have with the trans I put behind it with as little modifications as possible.

My question is in regards to the trans... I've resigned myself that in order to get this thing on the road sooner, I'd likely be able to pickup a 4l60E trans for the truck as it would simplify the conversion. I found a good deal on a used core ( I have rebuilt one in the past so I am comfortably doing a rebuild, but it was years ago) but the cores I am looking at are the older 1993-1999 style with the cast in bellhousing and 4 bolt extension housing.

While I'd love to get one that was more closer to the build year of my existing engine ( with the 6 bolt extension housing and obviously newer updates), they seem to ask the same $ amount for a core of the newer style around here, that I could use towards both the purchase and rebuilding costs for the older style that I'm looking at.

Has anyone put the older style ( 4 bolt extension housing) 4l60E behind their newer 5.3? Anything to watch for in regards to PCM communication issues, drivability, etc? If it physically bolts up, runs, and drives as it should I'll be happy, this truck isn't planned to be a terror on the strip- I'm just looking for something to take my daughters to the drive in ice cream place in, and have fun taking it to work in the summer.

Thanks for any and all help!

Last edited by Dragcamaro; 04-30-2019 at 09:50 AM. Reason: forgot text
Dragcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:45 AM   #2
Dragcamaro

Re: 4l60E Compatability question

Anything? I looked around but have not found a definitive answer...
Old 05-01-2019, 10:55 AM   #3
ls1nova71

You say you want to put a 4l60e in it to simplify the install, then you want to complicate it by not using a newer transmission? It can be done with the older trans, but not really worth it in the grand scheme of things. I cant believe you cant find a '99 or newer transmission for dirt cheap as a rebuilder core, those things are literally everywhere in the junkyards now since they're 20 years old. Do yourself a favor and find one, rebuild it and never look back.

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:11 AM   #4
Dragcamaro

Thanks for the input, LS1Nova71....the only reason I had been looking hard at the older model year ones, was I could pick up a 2WD core for $50, versus anything in the marketplace or Craigslist was $250 or more for anything year 2000+. Boneyards from when I was looking earlier were $425-800 depending on mileage, and there was obviously more 4wd vs 2wd available there as well.

As it is I'm biding my time to find a 2wd 2000+ year trans, hopefully something pops up soon to where I can get the drivetrain popped in the truck this summer yet. I was following your build for tips on how to do mine when the time comes.