The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > FAQ Truck Tech

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-16-2012, 02:14 AM   #276
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: Disc Brake Upgrade Reference Thread

The compatable front suspensions for the '60-'62 trucks is any '71-'87 C10 front suspension. You will have to change the entire suspension, crossmember and all. On the '60-'62' there are more holes that need to be drilled as compared to the '63-'70's. I believe member markeb01 did a writeup on this conversion, as he has done it on his '60. It might be referenced in the '60-'66 FAQ index at the top of the page.

Typically the 5x5 conversion is done as this is what the C10's with disc brakes came with. You can buy aftermarket 6 lug rotors that fit the '71-'87 HD spindles.

As for the brakes, yes I do sell brackets for that. There are links to the for sale threads in my signature line. Here is the one for the auto trans version

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...49#post3479149

Quote:
Originally Posted by whlman5150 View Post
Hello all, I am new to the forums and am trying to gather some information for a new project I am beginning. I picked up a 62 Chevy C10 shortbed fleet side. The truck needs work to get it back on the road, the rust issues, body, engine, etc. The truck has the straight six (not sure of the engine size..if anyone has info to do this it's appreciated), drum brakes all around, I believe its a 4 speed..on the floor, has a 10 bolt rear end, not sure if it has a positraction or what the gears are.

Some of the modifications and upgrades include putting an LS engine and 4L60e tranny in it, upgrading the brakes to disc, fronts first and rears later. I plan on taking it down to the frame to start cleaning and repairing so I am trying to decide the way to go on the suspension and brakes. I am on a moderate budget so keeping that in mind here are my questions.

For the 62, what year front suspension / brake swap is recommended? Also need info about running a master cylinder and booster or possibly a hydro boost. I think I saw a thread from CaptFab about a hydro boost, just can't find it now.

I've seen people do the 5 lug conversion. Is this done to add the disc brakes or because of wheel choice and available rims for a 5 lug? And, if you do the swap, do you want to go with the 5-4 3/4 or 5-5? Is changing over to a 5 lug recommended or stay with 6?

My plans for the truck include rims and tires. The look I'm going for is a lowered profile look with a slight rake. I'm not sure if I want to run air bags but will definitely be lowering it, nothing crazy I still want it drivable. The rims I was thinking about are either 22x10 in rear, 20x10 in front or just running 20s all around....still looking at different combos. But again, goes back to my question about the lug patterns.

Any information is appreciated...just trying to get this thing going. Thanks!

Gary
Posted via Mobile Device
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Old 02-19-2012, 08:22 PM   #277
whlman5150

CaptFab, thanks for your responce. I still have a few questions though.. just to confirm with you, ANY front suspension unit from a '71 through '87 will work and bolt in? And these will convert the front brakes to disc with a 5-5 bolt pattern? And if I wanted to..could I get rotors with a 5-4 3/4 pattern rotors?

Does this swap eliminate the front torsion bars on the truck?

If I had the chance to swap out the 10 bolt rear end for a 12 bolt, would that be recommened? I've seen ads out there for 12 bolts from a 65 truck...would that work?

Also, I may have a line on a front suspension from a '77 C10 and 12 bolt rear end. Would that be a recommended swap? The rear should be 5-5 bolt pattern, right?

As I said in my original thread, I am thinking of putting an LS 5.3 engine in the truck. I am looking at one out of a 2006 GMC Sierra. Can I use the power steering unit from the '71-'87 donor with the LS power steering pump? I believe GM switched over to metric some where down the line...or would I have to use some adapters or have hoses custom made?

On a side note, I do plan on odering the power brake booster bracket from you AND the power steering bracket if it will work out for me in my application. Eventually the rear disc brakes too...trying to decide whether to go with the Impala SS set up or D52. If I'm reading your posts right, the D52 seem a bit more heavy duty??

I will look up the thread from markeb01 to see what he did.

Sorry for all the questions...just trying to learn this stuff so I can start planning my build.

Thanks!

Gary
Old 02-20-2012, 01:08 AM   #278
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Yes any '71-'87 C10 front suspension will work to convert your truck to front disc brakes. This will eliminate the torsion bars, and replace them with coil springs. The presence of the torsion bars is why you have to switch the entire suspension, crossmember and all on the '60-'62 trucks. I have heard of using front rotors from a '70 Impala to achieve the 5 x 4.75 wheel bolt pattern, but I have not been able to confirm that, that will work.

If it were my truck, I would change the Eaton HO32 10 bolt for either a '63-'82 truck 12 bolt, or a '83-'87 8.5 truck 10 bolt. This will give you wider gear selection, and better braking choices as well. Of course the most of the '63-'72 12 bolts are already setup for the coil springs and trailing arms. Although, you will still need to relocate the trailing arm mounts to be able to bolt them up to your trailing arms. The '71-'82 12 bolts will have the 5 x 5" wheel bolt pattern, but they will be 1.5" wider overall than your original rear end. You can also go with a '63 to early '70 12 bolt and buy the 5 x 5 conversion axles. These years will be the same width as your original rear end.

The '80-'87 truck power steering boxes will have the metric with O-ring fittings that should match up with the pump on your 5.3 engine. It is still possible that you may need to have a pressure hose made to fit your particular setup. But if you have a OEM hose with the correct ends on it, that will same you some $$.

Quote:
CaptFab, thanks for your responce. I still have a few questions though.. just to confirm with you, ANY front suspension unit from a '71 through '87 will work and bolt in? And these will convert the front brakes to disc with a 5-5 bolt pattern? And if I wanted to..could I get rotors with a 5-4 3/4 pattern rotors?

Does this swap eliminate the front torsion bars on the truck?

If I had the chance to swap out the 10 bolt rear end for a 12 bolt, would that be recommened? I've seen ads out there for 12 bolts from a 65 truck...would that work?

Also, I may have a line on a front suspension from a '77 C10 and 12 bolt rear end. Would that be a recommended swap? The rear should be 5-5 bolt pattern, right?

As I said in my original thread, I am thinking of putting an LS 5.3 engine in the truck. I am looking at one out of a 2006 GMC Sierra. Can I use the power steering unit from the '71-'87 donor with the LS power steering pump? I believe GM switched over to metric some where down the line...or would I have to use some adapters or have hoses custom made?

On a side note, I do plan on odering the power brake booster bracket from you AND the power steering bracket if it will work out for me in my application. Eventually the rear disc brakes too...trying to decide whether to go with the Impala SS set up or D52. If I'm reading your posts right, the D52 seem a bit more heavy duty??

I will look up the thread from markeb01 to see what he did.

Sorry for all the questions...just trying to learn this stuff so I can start planning my build.

Thanks!

Gary
Old 02-20-2012, 01:53 PM   #279
whlman5150

Will any front suspension from Chevy or GMC full size (1/2 ton) vans from these years work also? Are the front frames the same?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-21-2012, 01:45 AM   #280
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

On the full sized 1/2 ton vans everything from the control arms out is the same as a 1/2 ton truck. The van crossmember is wider than the crossmember on a truck. So a van front suspension won't work for you since you need the crossmember.

Quote:
Will any front suspension from Chevy or GMC full size (1/2 ton) vans from these years work also? Are the front frames the same?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-21-2012, 02:47 AM   #281
whlman5150

Ahhh, OK, that is good to know. Thanks again for your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
On the full sized 1/2 ton vans everything from the control arms out is the same as a 1/2 ton truck. The van crossmember is wider than the crossmember on a truck. So a van front suspension won't work for you since you need the crossmember.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-22-2012, 10:23 AM   #282
rudy350

Unhappy Re: Disc Brake Upgrade Reference Thread

Posted via Mobile Device hey guy I just got this xmember yesterday $100 at my local,junk yard from a perfect 1977 c10 and a 1" swaybar too. I have a question my rear end 10 bolt leaf spring on my 65' gmc long bed I saw a donor Chevy 65' with a rear end 12 bolt but with trailing arms could that one be a bolt on for my gmc or do I have to stick to leaf spring ? But its a 5 lug and my truck its a 6 lug
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 02-23-2012, 12:55 AM   #283
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The 12 bolt fronm a '65 Chevy with trailing arms, won't just bolt up. There will be cutting and welding involved. Why not get the rear end from the same '77 C10 you got the front suspension from? Or are you going to convert the front to 6 lug? If you need a leaf spring rear end that simply bolts up, you will need one that was originally for a leaf spring truck. Either a '63-'70 C10 Chevy or GMC with leaf springs, or a '63-'87 K5/ K10 will be 6 lug.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:29 AM   #284
rudy350

Quote:
The 12 bolt fronm a '65 Chevy with trailing arms, won't just bolt up. There will be cutting and welding involved. Why not get the rear end from the same '77 C10 you got the front suspension from? Or are you going to convert the front to 6 lug? If you need a leaf spring rear end that simply bolts up, you will need one that was originally for a leaf spring truck. Either a '63-'70 C10 Chevy or GMC with leaf springs, or a '63-'87 K5/ K10 will be 6 lug.

thats a great I dea ima go ahead and get that rear end from the donor. Is there gonna be any diffrence in the lenght of the rear end? . Whic one is better going 5 lug or 6 lug ?
How can I convert the donor (1977 c10) 5 lug rear end to a six lug ?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-24-2012, 12:44 AM   #285
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The '71-'87 rear ends are 1.5" wider than the '60-'70 rear ends. 5 lugs or 6 is a personal preference, or to accomodate the wheels you want to run. If you need a 6 lug rear end, look for one in a K5 or K10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudy350 View Post
thats a great I dea ima go ahead and get that rear end from the donor. Is there gonna be any diffrence in the lenght of the rear end? . Whic one is better going 5 lug or 6 lug ?
How can I convert the donor (1977 c10) 5 lug rear end to a six lug ?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-24-2012, 12:49 AM   #286
rudy350

Ok ill just keep,it simple and stay with the 5 lug front and donor rear end .. Since its 1.5" wider will my tires still be inside of the back wheel well ?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-24-2012, 02:14 AM   #287
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

That depends on what size tires and wheels you run on the back. You will just have to choose those accordingly to the room there is available. There are many guys here that run the wider rear differentials. You might try a search to see what backspacing those guys are using. I'm thinking you will need 3.750" +
Old 02-24-2012, 09:25 PM   #288
rudy350

Quote:
That depends on what size tires and wheels you run on the back. You will just have to choose those accordingly to the room there is available. There are many guys here that run the wider rear differentials. You might try a search to see what backspacing those guys are using. I'm thinking you will need 3.750" +

What do,you mean by 3.750 " ???
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-25-2012, 12:51 AM   #289
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Wheel backspacing. Of course this depends on how wide of wheels and tires you are wanting to run.

Quote:
Quote:
What do,you mean by 3.750 " ???
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-25-2012, 10:29 AM   #290
rudy350

Im thinkinh of going 15x7 steelies on BFGoodrich t/a
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-25-2012, 10:33 AM   #291
rudy350

So those im thinking on running .. So what demention aim I looking for tires and rims u have any pics of some good ones.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-28-2012, 05:44 PM   #292
66chevyjunky

Well I read through the thread, and maybe I missed it....Will 66 control arms accept 71-72 ball joints?
Old 02-29-2012, 01:53 AM   #293
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Yes they will as long as you stay within the same series. By that I mean C10 ball joints in C10 arms, C20 joints in C20 arms, etc. In fact the ball joints thru '87 will fit the '63-'66 control arms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66chevyjunky View Post
Well I read through the thread, and maybe I missed it....Will 66 control arms accept 71-72 ball joints?
Old 03-01-2012, 07:31 PM   #294
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

I was wondering if the brake calipers off my 79 1/2 ton 4x4 suburban are the same as the 2wd calipers?
Posted via Mobile Device

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
Old 03-02-2012, 01:33 AM   #295
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Yes those are also D52 calipers.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:45 AM   #296
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Thanks
That is good to know.
That'll save me some money.
Posted via Mobile Device

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
Old 03-02-2012, 01:50 AM   #297
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

You can also buy rebuild kits for them, and rebuild them yourself if you want. They are not expensive to buy already rebuilt, but every $$ counts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMy65 View Post
Thanks
That is good to know.
That'll save me some money.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-02-2012, 09:18 PM   #298
rudy350

Quote:
You can also buy rebuild kits for them, and rebuild them yourself if you want. They are not expensive to buy already rebuilt, but every $$ counts.

hey captain fab you wouldnt know from the top of your head a thread thats shows a rear end swap like the one im going todo on my 65 gmc?? the rear end is coming from the 77'' donor. its going to be my first swap and i wanna know what to look out for u know what measuremnts i ned to look out for but my original mounts were my leaf springs are bolted are rusting out were could i find some were i can buy them??? im going to keep the 5 lug bolt pattern.. thanks

this forum rocks !!!!!1
Old 03-03-2012, 01:55 AM   #299
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

No I do not know of any threads here on swapping the rear ends. If the leaf spring mounts on your original rear end are rusted, that shouldn't matter since you are changing the rear end. Or are you talking about your U-bolt plates? If so, then just use the ones from the '77. The '77 rear end will bolt right up to your leaf springs. Really no measuring required. The only thing you might have to measure is when changing your shock mounts.

Quote:
hey captain fab you wouldnt know from the top of your head a thread thats shows a rear end swap like the one im going todo on my 65 gmc?? the rear end is coming from the 77'' donor. its going to be my first swap and i wanna know what to look out for u know what measuremnts i ned to look out for but my original mounts were my leaf springs are bolted are rusting out were could i find some were i can buy them??? im going to keep the 5 lug bolt pattern.. thanks

this forum rocks !!!!!1
Old 03-03-2012, 03:17 PM   #300
rudy350

Quote:
No I do not know of any threads here on swapping the rear ends. If the leaf spring mounts on your original rear end are rusted, that shouldn't matter since you are changing the rear end. Or are you talking about your U-bolt plates? If so, then just use the ones from the '77. The '77 rear end will bolt right up to your leaf springs. Really no measuring required. The only thing you might have to measure is when changing your shock mounts.
Ok sounds simple.. Well heres the pics to,show you what im talking about : ) I dont know were to start looking for them .. Just to be right what bolts up to the leaf spring and then to the mount to the frame (what im looking for) is the shakles correct.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images