The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-04-2010, 12:26 AM   #1
60apache

Re: Disc Brake Upgrade Reference Thread

ok that makes sense the write up I read just seemed like it would be a difficult task so I was looking for an alternative.
60apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:36 AM   #2
panelrodder81
Doin' it live!

Ok so I'm working on a 64 3/4 ton and Im trying to get this thing ready for the disk brake swap with 88-98 parts. My question is whether ABS parts would be a problem. I've found plenty of parts trucks but they have ABS and I don't know if you can just not hook it up.

Next question is whether anyone has determinded whether the ball joints from the 88-98 trucks will fit the UPPER a arms of the 64. (I know the lowers fit as described in this thread.) I called Checker auto and they said they had upper joints for both my 64 and an 89 but that there were a couple options for the 64 and that I'd have to bring in my original joint for comparison. Since this is a daily driver I just can't take it apart to see.

Thoughts?
2005 Harley Sportster - 'Shemp'

Last edited by panelrodder81; 03-17-2010 at 11:41 AM.
panelrodder81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:06 AM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The ABS being there isn't going to hurt anything. Just leave it unhooked. As for the upper balljoints, the only options I can think of is 1/2 ton versus 3/4 ton. The main differences in the upper balljoints are the taper that fits into the spindle. I'm pretty sure the '89 upper balljoint will bolt into the '64 arm.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:05 AM   #4
64c20crewcab

Great info! Thanks all for taking the time to gather and post it. I'll now be hunting for later model 3/4 spindles w/t 8-lug rotors, calipers & master cyl & booster + the complete steering linkage. Thanks again!

1964 C20 Long Stepside 3 Door Crew Cab
- Armbruster-Stageway Conversion

Y2K INDN Chief

"ONE OF A KIND, NOT ONE OF THE CROWD"
Aug 2010 - Front end frame cleanup & engine swap done!!!
June 2011 - Rear end bagged
Sept 2011 - Rebuild motor top end
Sept 2012 - Parked and slowly working on it.
Aug 2013 - Front end bagged - finally!
Aug 2014 - Stepside swap conversion done. Finally ready to start bodywork! Have a few KEWL ideas...
Here is my build thread:
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=335427
64c20crewcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:46 PM   #5
KACKERMANN

hey guys thanks for this post it is very helpfull with my 66 build. but got a question. so i went to the local junk yard and pulled the front suspension from a 88 1/2 ton chevy truck got all the suspension except for the k-member. now if i rebuild that can i bolt that up to my 66. upper lower control arms spindle springs. steering linkage and all. i have read all the post on here and just wanted to see if i needed anything else for it.
KACKERMANN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:38 PM   #6
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The suspension from a '88 pickup will not bolt up to your '66. If you had gotten your parts from a '71-'87 pickup or '71-'92 Suburban, you could do as you are asking.

The complete pickup platform changed in '88, and is not interchangeable with earlier years. The only way you can use those parts on your '66 is to use your original upper control arm, a '63-'66 C20 lower control arm, and then install the '88 upper and lower balljoints, spindles, rotors, calipers, etc. This is the same as the 6 lug conversion described in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KACKERMANN View Post
hey guys thanks for this post it is very helpfull with my 66 build. but got a question. so i went to the local junk yard and pulled the front suspension from a 88 1/2 ton chevy truck got all the suspension except for the k-member. now if i rebuild that can i bolt that up to my 66. upper lower control arms spindle springs. steering linkage and all. i have read all the post on here and just wanted to see if i needed anything else for it.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:23 PM   #7
Fast Freddy

This maybe a dumb question but; (Mine is a 68), Why not just put a whole front end under the truck, one with dics brakes. If I remember correctly, the 71 or 72 with 4 wheel drive front ends had a 6 lug patten too? Tell me if this can be done?
Thanks
Fast Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 05:32 PM   #8
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Freddy View Post
This maybe a dumb question but; (Mine is a 68), Why not just put a whole front end under the truck, one with dics brakes. If I remember correctly, the 71 or 72 with 4 wheel drive front ends had a 6 lug patten too? Tell me if this can be done?
Thanks
The 4wd trucks were 6 lug, but none of the front end parts will work on for converting a 2wd truck disc brakes and stay 2wd.

You can however remove the complete crossmember assembly with arms and spindles/brakes from a 71-87 1/2 ton 2wd truck to make it 5 lug with disc brakes. There are companies that make a 6 lug rotor to go on the factory spindle, that way you would keep 6 lug front.

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square

Last edited by aggie91; 05-21-2010 at 02:35 PM.
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:09 PM   #9
edszuk

Here's a question. The previous owner of my truck put a 3/4 8 lug rear end on now my C10. I found a 80's 3/4 2WD suburban, a may sound silly, but can I put the front spindles on my truck so I can have matching rims? Does someone have a step by step on how to replace a rear end. either way I think i'm going to have to spend some cash. I just think it my be easier to do the front than the rear.

Ed
edszuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 12:31 AM   #10
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

If you want a 3/4 ton, then by all means go ahead and switch the front. But you will at a minimum have to change the lower control arm as well as the spindles, rotors, calipers, etc. IMO if you don't necessarily want a 3/4 ton, just change the rear end, it's a lot simpler. What year of truck do you have? If you want discs on the front, just get a 1/2 ton '71-'87 front suspension for the front. Then you could get away with just changing the balljoints, spindles, rotors, calipers, etc. Regardless whether you go to 3/4 ton or 1/2 ton front discs, you will need to upgrade the brake master to a dual reservior unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edszuk View Post
Here's a question. The previous owner of my truck put a 3/4 8 lug rear end on now my C10. I found a 80's 3/4 2WD suburban, a may sound silly, but can I put the front spindles on my truck so I can have matching rims? Does someone have a step by step on how to replace a rear end. either way I think i'm going to have to spend some cash. I just think it my be easier to do the front than the rear.

Ed
Old 03-27-2010, 10:39 AM   #11
edszuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
If you want a 3/4 ton, then by all means go ahead and switch the front. But you will at a minimum have to change the lower control arm as well as the spindles, rotors, calipers, etc. IMO if you don't necessarily want a 3/4 ton, just change the rear end, it's a lot simpler. What year of truck do you have? If you want discs on the front, just get a 1/2 ton '71-'87 front suspension for the front. Then you could get away with just changing the balljoints, spindles, rotors, calipers, etc. Regardless whether you go to 3/4 ton or 1/2 ton front discs, you will need to upgrade the brake master to a dual reservior unit.
I have a 66 C-10 1/2 and would like to keep it a 1/2. On the rearend you have reweld perches and panhard right? Do you know what the pinion angle would be? I would love to convert to 5 lug. I went to a local junkyard to see what they had. He had a 5 lug front clip sitting there collecting dust. I asked him how much would it be for the 5 lug front end and a rear end. He said 500.00. That's how much I paid for the truck. I thought this was much for junkyard parts. I called a few junkyards around here and all want close to 250.00 for rear ends. Does anyone in California have a 6 lug rear end laying around for less?

Ed
edszuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:41 AM   #12
bubba327
HOW long until spring??

I agree with The Captain- I used 6 lug CPP rotors and calipers on 71 spindles and had no problems.
bubba327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:53 PM   #13
malford

I am looking at this post as a reference for a project I am working on to find some donor parts. The project is a 1963 SWB Stepside C10. I recently ran across a guy parting out a 1986 2wd Suburban and I think there are some parts on it I can use to convert to disc brakes up front as well as power steering. What can I use off of this vehicle?
malford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:37 PM   #14
protrash64
Resistance is Futile

Quote:
Originally Posted by malford View Post
I am looking at this post as a reference for a project I am working on to find some donor parts. The project is a 1963 SWB Stepside C10. I recently ran across a guy parting out a 1986 2wd Suburban and I think there are some parts on it I can use to convert to disc brakes up front as well as power steering. What can I use off of this vehicle?
You can use the whole front x-member, steering gear and power steering pump, and also the brake booster/ms-cyl set-up. Some other stuff I'm probably forgetting.....
STRENGTH/DETERMINATION/MERCILESS/FOREVER
.......posted via stationary device
protrash64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:41 PM   #15
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

You can also use the rear differential so you have 5 lug in the rear as well as the front. However this will require some cutting and welding. If this Suburban happens to have an engine and transmission, that can be used also.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:14 PM   #16
Slow Build

I read somewhere that you can use the tranny crossmember from the suburban if you plan to do a 700R4 swap.
Past GM Trucks:
1959 GMC short stepside
1968 GMC short stepside-4x4
1973 Chevy short stepside
1989 Chevy short fleetside-reg cab
1993 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab
2002 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab

Save the dinosaurs, use synthetic oil.
Slow Build is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:29 PM   #17
Russ65C10

88 - 98 rotors will NOT fit on the 73 - 87 spindles. You need to order 6 lug rotors from CCP or whom ever. It's the easist way to stick with 6 lugs.
Russ65C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:21 AM   #18
karlbenz

wow, this is a lot of info. I am confused(which usually doesn't take a whole lot) I am wanting to put 8lug on my front end of my 1/2 ton 64gmc. I have a 91 8lug truck sitting here that I can use for parts. can I use anything off it?
karlbenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 12:09 PM   #19
rain_man

so is it true that if you swap to disk brakes 6/5 lug that your organal wheels wont work any more?
if this is true why not just go to 5?
thanks
Old 06-05-2010, 12:24 PM   #20
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

If you have original style 6 lug wheels, they won't work with disc brakes. Some guys have aftermarket or later model 6 lug wheels that are disc brake compatable, so switching to 6 lug discs will allow keeping your wheels. Plus you wouldn't have to change your rear differential, or change the axles in your existing one, if you went with 6 lug discs up front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain_man View Post
so is it true that if you swap to disk brakes 6/5 lug that your organal wheels wont work any more?
if this is true why not just go to 5?
thanks
Old 06-05-2010, 01:11 PM   #21
rain_man

thanks capt
Old 07-10-2010, 10:24 PM   #22
jocko

Wow, what a thread. This is a very helpful one. Have seen several comments that discs will not fit the original 6 lug steelies. A couple questions -
1. Can a spacer be used to make the original 6 lugs work with a disc set-up (i.e. I've not tried it yet - where does the interference actually occur between the caliper and the original 6 lug wheel? is it a wheel diameter thing or backspacing thing, etc)
2. Captain Fab, you mentioned aftermarket and later model 6 lugs would work. Which later model 6 lugs? (all 88-up 1500's?) and what company makes stock-appearing steel wheels that will fit discs? (I've looked at stockton and a few others, but seems their stock looking wheels are not quite stock looking - they are missing the air gaps in between the wheel center and rim, at least on some of the wheels I've seen. Seems later model 6 lugs (88-up) were 16 inch rims? So are you saying that aftermarket steel wheels would also need to be 16 inch to work?

I've got 15 inch truck rallies also in addition to the stock steelies, and I'm pretty sure they will work - but I'm going to a bit of effort to just run steelies and poverty caps - looking for the simplest to keep that look yet eventually upgrade to front discs.

Thanks a lot folks, great thread.

Last edited by jocko; 07-10-2010 at 10:26 PM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:49 PM   #23
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Wow, what a thread. This is a very helpful one. Have seen several comments that discs will not fit the original 6 lug steelies. A couple questions -
1. Can a spacer be used to make the original 6 lugs work with a disc set-up (i.e. I've not tried it yet - where does the interference actually occur between the caliper and the original 6 lug wheel? is it a wheel diameter thing or backspacing thing, etc)
2. Captain Fab, you mentioned aftermarket and later model 6 lugs would work. Which later model 6 lugs? (all 88-up 1500's?) and what company makes stock-appearing steel wheels that will fit discs? (I've looked at stockton and a few others, but seems their stock looking wheels are not quite stock looking - they are missing the air gaps in between the wheel center and rim, at least on some of the wheels I've seen. Seems later model 6 lugs (88-up) were 16 inch rims? So are you saying that aftermarket steel wheels would also need to be 16 inch to work?

I've got 15 inch truck rallies also in addition to the stock steelies, and I'm pretty sure they will work - but I'm going to a bit of effort to just run steelies and poverty caps - looking for the simplest to keep that look yet eventually upgrade to front discs.

Thanks a lot folks, great thread.
If your plan is steelies w/dog-dish (poverty) caps, the bolt pattern of the wheels won't be distinguishable.

I did a disc swap on my 68 & ran poverty caps on OE 5-lug truck wheels up front w/poverty caps on the OE 6-lug wheels for the rear for several months before swapping the rear axles to 5-lug.

If the concern is a spare that fits all 4 corners, Wheel Vintiques, Early Classic, & Stockton each make an OE appearing steelie in various sizes (they don't have to be 16's).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:00 AM   #24
jocko

Thanks Scoti, that's good info. Good point about the 5 and 6 / front and back - not a big deal visually (but that spare thing..... I better find a jack too, I keep forgetting to pick one up - then I can worry about tires). Also, thanks for the 15 inch info.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:09 AM   #25
raycow

To add to the wheel discussion, you might want to look at factory wheels from a 71-up K-10. These trucks had disc brakes with 6 lugs, and at least some of them had 15" wheels.

Ray
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote