The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-23-2021, 12:38 PM   #51
BASE

Re: Small Block Crate Engine Advice

Yeah I checked with them first but they don't make what I was looking for. Seems the dates are sliding even further now and even the components are going out of stock at all the places I normally look like Jegs and Summit. No point buying the block if I can't find the parts to fill it.

I've decided to upgrade brakes, steering, etc for now and hope this sorts itself out before I get there. Gives me time to work on all the little details I usually never get around to doing I guess (trying to stay positive).
BASE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 03:29 PM   #52
typerr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagnabbitt View Post
That's why I went with Blueprint, when I spoke to them they said they had them on the shelf ready to go. Everyone else said 8 week wait minimum and even then no guarantees.
I'm also going with Blueprint. My 396 stroker will take 30-45 days however. I can't wait...
typerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 05:17 PM   #53
REDROCKER652002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
Not having read the full thread, I would concur on this. These guys put out a Youtube video of their shop that is first rate. I would give this a serious consideration
REDROCKER652002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 05:22 PM   #54
REDROCKER652002

Quote:
They still recommend a 500 mile break in period, but it is a period of "normal" driving. No hammering on it or burnouts, just grocery getting. Looking forward to getting mine.
In all honesty, that's a ton better for him than trying to break in a motor. I have never done it before, so for him and me, the 500 mile easy driving is a snap. LOL
REDROCKER652002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 07:45 PM   #55
JJH Jimmy

Quote:
Well, due to Ricky's suggestion I started looking into it, and I did buy a 355 from Blueprint: and it arrived this week.

I quite often experience "buyer's remorse" on big purchases... I can't say that I feel that way today. I like it, and I can't wait until it is installed.

It's going into my 1981 swb stepper, whose build thread I have neglected but will hopefully update soon, now.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=807776
Did you get this installed? How does it run?

I originally was going to go with the GM 350/357 which was about the same price as the Blueprint 355 but there weren’t any in stock nation wide. And then I noticed that the GM part number changed and the price went up $1000.00! So I picked up the 355 from a local speed shop that had one in stock which saved me the shipping charges. I won’t be ready for a while to get mine installed but I was worried that Blueprint was going to raise their prices.
2021 GMC 2500HD Duramax AT4

My "It's a Jimmy Thing" Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=583528
Budget Build 1985 K20
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=801565
JJH Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 08:28 AM   #56
biketopia

I have a 427 SBC from blue print, very happy with it, runs like a champ in my camaro. With some terrible track conditions, and mediocre tuning at best I'm in the low 11's, and it does great on the street. The guys at blueprint are also super friendly and helpful with any questions you might have, and what exact parts might be in your engine as well!

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:12 AM   #57
dagnabbitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH Jimmy View Post
Did you get this installed? How does it run?

I originally was going to go with the GM 350/357 which was about the same price as the Blueprint 355 but there weren’t any in stock nation wide. And then I noticed that the GM part number changed and the price went up $1000.00! So I picked up the 355 from a local speed shop that had one in stock which saved me the shipping charges. I won’t be ready for a while to get mine installed but I was worried that Blueprint was going to raise their prices.
Sorry for the lack of an update, I really have to add some photos to my build thread as well.

To answer your question: the engine is simply amazing. I have never had a real hot rod before, but I do now. It has more HP and torque than the 6.0 in my Suburban 2500, and it is in a vehicle that is less than half the weight and with no traction control. When I pull out to pass someone I am pulling in front of them and hitting the brakes before I even have the gas to the floor. I don't know what you big block or LS guys are used to, but this engine is enough for me: I plan to buy another one for my other project as soon as I can get the funds together.

I struggled with the question of whether I should get the 355 or the brand new Blueprint 350 and made my decision based upon the cheaper price and nominally greater HP. I could still go either way.

What I am dealing with now is a persistent exhaust drone that is ruining my enjoyment of the truck. I have asked Blueprint for their opinion and perhaps some recommendations (they have recommendations on everything, carb, header gaskets, torque converters, etc) but haven't heard back from them.

That is one thing I didn't mention about Blueprint: they have rather poor customer service. The process of buying this engine was a bit like asking them to donate a kidney to me. Unanswered emails, unanswered phone calls, unreturned voicemails, at one point I had no confidence that I was going to see my engine and thought that perhaps I had given my credit card info to a bunch of scammers, it was that bad. Once the engine was delivered I thought I would get a call or an email - generic and autogenerated, even - asking me if I liked it and if I needed any technical support. Nothing, no followup since the purchase. Maybe that's normal, but for $6500 I expected a little better. Frankly, the engine deserves better, because they have a great product from what I can tell so far.
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10

Last edited by dagnabbitt; 09-14-2021 at 10:12 AM.
dagnabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 10:09 AM   #58
dagnabbitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
I don't think the rams horn manifolds are going to work with the '73+ engine mounts.
Followup to this, the 2.5 inch Corvette manifolds do work!

But only because the truck was originally a six cylinder and we never moved or changed the mounts: both the old V8 and now the new Blueprint are in the same position and therefore the manifolds clear the frame and work great. I have 2.5 inch all the way from engine to exhaust tip as a result. Truck is lowered 4.5 inches in the front, 6.5 in rear, and the exhaust is still above the control arms all the way, lots of room. I have zero regrets, I will never use headers again.
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10

Last edited by dagnabbitt; 09-14-2021 at 10:14 AM.
Old 09-14-2021, 10:41 AM   #59
The Rocknrod

I have had great customer service with Blueprint Engine Co. Weird.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 11:19 AM   #60
dagnabbitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
Yeah, I understand that my experience may have not been typical, I am not by any means slamming them; and I do plan to buy from them again. It's possible that they were working from home or something due to the world events and that is why communication was poor.
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
Old 09-14-2021, 11:34 AM   #61
BASE

I'm guessing the crate engine business has probably gotten pretty crazy as of late. Guys like me calling all the time and asking when they will be available probably did not help

I gave up and have starting collecting the parts to built it myself, so maybe they can get back to answering the phones without fear of it being that jackass from MO again. I can refocus my effort on posting dumb engine building question here.
BASE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 03:32 PM   #62
typerr

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
As have I. My 396 small block stroker was delivered right on time Friday afternoon. They were great about answering my frequent emails regarding schedule and delivery. They answered a couple of technical questions within a couple hours. I've been very happy with both the sales department and technical support.
typerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 04:54 PM   #63
geezer#99

Maybe it’s because you’re from Canada dagnabbit!
Wouldn’t be the first time people have been treated as such.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:57 PM   #64
dagnabbitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
Maybe it’s because you’re from Canada dagnabbit!
Wouldn’t be the first time people have been treated as such.
Haha! I wasn't going to play that card but you never know. They probably thought it was for my Skidoo.
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
Old 09-15-2021, 07:29 AM   #65
JJH Jimmy

Quote:
Sorry for the lack of an update, I really have to add some photos to my build thread as well.

To answer your question: the engine is simply amazing. I have never had a real hot rod before, but I do now. It has more HP and torque than the 6.0 in my Suburban 2500, and it is in a vehicle that is less than half the weight and with no traction control. When I pull out to pass someone I am pulling in front of them and hitting the brakes before I even have the gas to the floor. I don't know what you big block or LS guys are used to, but this engine is enough for me: I plan to buy another one for my other project as soon as I can get the funds together.

I struggled with the question of whether I should get the 355 or the brand new Blueprint 350 and made my decision based upon the cheaper price and nominally greater HP. I could still go either way.

What I am dealing with now is a persistent exhaust drone that is ruining my enjoyment of the truck. I have asked Blueprint for their opinion and perhaps some recommendations (they have recommendations on everything, carb, header gaskets, torque converters, etc) but haven't heard back from them.

That is one thing I didn't mention about Blueprint: they have rather poor customer service. The process of buying this engine was a bit like asking them to donate a kidney to me. Unanswered emails, unanswered phone calls, unreturned voicemails, at one point I had no confidence that I was going to see my engine and thought that perhaps I had given my credit card info to a bunch of scammers, it was that bad. Once the engine was delivered I thought I would get a call or an email - generic and autogenerated, even - asking me if I liked it and if I needed any technical support. Nothing, no followup since the purchase. Maybe that's normal, but for $6500 I expected a little better. Frankly, the engine deserves better, because they have a great product from what I can tell so far.

Thanks for the update. It is good to hear that it runs well.

As for the drone. These mufflers have good reviews and it helps to have a cross over pipe with the tips exiting the side of the truck.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-17222
2021 GMC 2500HD Duramax AT4

My "It's a Jimmy Thing" Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=583528
Budget Build 1985 K20
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=801565
JJH Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 10:03 AM   #66
dagnabbitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH Jimmy View Post
Thanks for the update. It is good to hear that it runs well.

As for the drone. These mufflers have good reviews and it helps to have a cross over pipe with the tips exiting the side of the truck.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-17222
Oddly enough I am running an X pipe and those exact mufflers are on it right now, that is set number four. They aren't working for me in this particular application.

One of the things that the tech at Blueprint mentioned is that the x pipe might not be necessary, and to try to delete it and see if the drone goes away.
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
Old 09-15-2021, 08:10 PM   #67
AcampoDave

Give Vibrant Exhaust a call about your resonance... Both Rocknrod and I really like their resonators...Heck, they're even Canadians too!
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 09:02 PM   #68
geezer#99

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcampoDave View Post
Give Vibrant Exhaust a call about your resonance... Both Rocknrod and I really like their resonators...Heck, they're even Canadians too!
You mean these guys!
They’re kinda Canadians.
People in Ontario are borderline canucks.

https://vibrantperformance.com/catalog/index.php
Old 09-15-2021, 11:24 PM   #69
AcampoDave

Yep, those guys.....and I don't know what a canuck is. But I have heard of a hoser before
Old 09-15-2021, 11:54 PM   #70
geezer#99

A Canuck is a Canadian.
Just a slang name.
Old 09-16-2021, 12:43 AM   #71
AcampoDave

BTW I saved a lot by buying thru Amazon and Summit ( as opposed to off the Vibrant website.) But I dont know if that works for you Notherners though.
Old 09-17-2021, 10:02 PM   #72
dagnabbitt

I will check out Vibrant, for sure, thank you!

I know that many people have had great service from them, but Blueprint is presently taking about 3-4 days to respond to each email, and to make things even more annoying they have confused me with another person who is complaining about a timing issue, so I am done.

I have decided that I will not be buying a second engine from them for my other project this winter: buying the first one was a bit of an ordeal and I really hate being ignored and I will actually pay more to buy from someone else. Anyone who has read this thread from the beginning will see that I paid double with Blueprint what I intended to spend with GM Performance.

I guess I will just have to pay even more from the next builder: I am not a rich man but this stuff is important to me and I don't look back. I am excited to see how the next builder compares. I really appreciate all the feedback here thanks!
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
Old 09-20-2021, 07:37 AM   #73
biketopia

Calling them always worked for me.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 09:58 PM   #74
dagnabbitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by biketopia View Post
Calling them always worked for me.
Unfortunately they do not answer the phone when I call. I get transferred and leave a voicemail and of course they do not call back. I assume that there has been some sort of change in management: or like I said, a difference in how they operate due to world events. Or maybe there is just a different level of service for international customers, it happens... or maybe it is because I bought from them directly instead of from Jegs or Summit, who knows.

I run a business too so I am not taking it personally, I am just disappointed. Oddly enough you do see this sometimes with companies that have great products and are growing fast, they just do not add people to the structure of the organization quickly enough and if they lose a few customers along the way, big deal, it is called attrition, those customers will be replaced with other ones.

I would still recommend their engines to anyone with the patience to deal with them, but I will move on to a different builder. Just for the record I am not that upset or bitter with them at all, it has actually crossed into that territory where the poor service is actually kind of amusing. You'd have to know the business I am in to understand, but I always find poor service kind of funny. Like a clumsy waiter. How did he get that job, and why is he still here? Its all good.
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10

Last edited by dagnabbitt; 09-21-2021 at 10:38 PM.
Old 10-01-2021, 11:17 PM   #75
Ghetto Fireman

350 HO Vortec Heads, bought mine from Scoggins Dickey. Added Edelbrock Pro Flow 4, love it.
Attached Images

Ghetto Fireman is offline   Reply With Quote