The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-18-2021, 07:59 PM   #1
jeff74

Dana wheel bearing setup

I found this helpful thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=787982

I can't quite read the final end play spec is it 1 to 10 thou? Thought it might be 18 thou

I'm finding that I need to back the inner nut off more than 1/4 turn after second torque to end up with any end play at all.
Old 09-19-2021, 12:35 AM   #2
kwmech

Re: Dana wheel bearing setup

No end play unless you mean to do so before the outer nut is tightened. There is slop in the threads of the nut. I make sure that the bearings are seated by tightening the inner nut while turning the hub, then backing it off and turning it until it stops. I then put the washer on then tighten the outer nut tight, fold the washer over and call it done. Never had an issue in 40 years. What you want in the end is not a lot of preload on the bearings, but you don't want the hub with end play either
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 02:02 AM   #3
Accelo

I can't quite read the final end play spec is it 1 to 10 thou? Thought it might be 18 thou
I belive the .001 to .010 is correct. This is the axial play and indicated the bearings internal clearance. I would use the tighter side of this specification.

I'm finding that I need to back the inner nut off more than 1/4 turn after second torque to end up with any end play at all.[/quote]
The second torque is just a specification for the second nut. it's only function is only to lock the first nut in-place.
Is the washer with the tab on it there? It is designed to keep the first nut in place while you tighten the lock nut.
Sounds like you are rotation both nuts when tightening the second nut?
Cheers.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 10:27 AM   #4
kwmech

There is actually a few thousandths of end play in the nuts. So even though the nut doesn't turn, when you tighten one against the other it will move inwards some
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 11:43 AM   #5
jeff74

Thanks guys, I'll shoot for low to no end play. I do have the tabbed lock washers in there.