The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > Diesel Conversions

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-20-2013, 12:47 AM   #326
Ackattack

Re: Project Family Chummins

Tonight I got my cruise control working.

For the cable I had to slice a slot in the bracket to allow the cable to slide by and then the original gm cable popped into the bracket. However, the cable was a little too long to the stop. So I cut the end of it off and put on a new end a little close to the throttle linkage and clamped it on (I already had all this done) Then, I found the wire that is supposed to go from the ECM to the cruise control box that sends the VSS signal. Well I tapped into the wire that sends the modified signal to the speedo and that was it. It worked just like stock!

Then I messed around with the tach a little. I got the tach to work and calibrated with the dakota digital sgi-5 box I'm using for the speedo. I only have one sgi-5, but I still have the dsl-1d. So I tried using it to calibrate my tach signal. Basically it was a no go. I couldn't get it to multiply it enough to get it calibrated. So I guess I will send it back and exchange it for another sgi-5.

Finally I changed out the headlight switch connector. I don't know if I had mentioned it before, but at some point the PO had some "issues". The connector was melted, a much larger wire shoved in the connector and connected with wire nuts. Initially this would then short to the adjacent wire and the headlights would come on. It looked like a fire waiting to happen. So the other day when I stopped by the salvage yard, I got a new connector and got it installed tonight. It was pretty much swap the wires into the new connector, though the one wire with the wire nut got replaced along with one other wire that looked in bad shape. So now I feel a little better about it not catching on fire....at least from that...ha ha
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:14 AM   #327
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

I have always wanted to swap my Cummins into a Chevy but its just not in the visa cards right now. But when I do, I will be using your build to make everything work. I really like how you are making everything work together
Posted via Mobile Device

YOU ONLY FAIL IF YOU STOP TRYING

70 Crew Cab Build Link

70 GMC Suburban 4X4 build thread

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
jbclassix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:32 AM   #328
Ackattack

Today's progress:

Got the Ford external regulator installed and now my lights don't pulsate

Then I watched some youtube videos on how to install the external door handle. In order to do this you have to remove the door panel, inner door panel (that has window regulator and door lock actuator mounted on it) But I got it on. The old one was all broken around the key hole.

While I was in the door, i took a look at the speaker, which I had noticed would cut in and out occasionally. Well under the electrical tape the wires were just twisted together and one was really loose. Oh, and the speaker was held into the door with drywall screws! I love other peoples fixes!

Then I moved over to the other door. The interior door handle wasn't working. So I removed the door panel and looked at the door handle, and it seemed to work. So I sprayed a little WD-40 on the moving pieces and started putting it back together. I also had to fix the similarly wired speaker on this side as well. Then I put the door panel and trim piece back on and now it doesn't really work. It seems the handle is bent, and the trim piece prevents it from moving enough to allow you to open the door (unless you pull real hard). So I'll have to replace the interior door handle at some point (I did the drivers side before I installed the doors)
Old 04-21-2013, 06:56 PM   #329
jb1016
"Oh well, it's a driver."

Try TYC elegante for the headlights. Good fit, and they don't turn yellow.

I love this build, and you're really scooting right along with it. It's gonna be awesome when it's done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Petty
I don't know, but I've been told: You never slow down, you never grow old.
jb1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:51 PM   #330
Ackattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1016 View Post
Try TYC elegante for the headlights. Good fit, and they don't turn yellow.

I love this build, and you're really scooting right along with it. It's gonna be awesome when it's done.
What's a good place to get them?

I work on the truck at nights after the kiddos go to bed. That would also be the time when I would work out, but the truck has been taking priority over that and my waistline is telling me to hurry up!!!
Old 04-22-2013, 09:05 PM   #331
jb1016
"Oh well, it's a driver."

Hmm...I thought I got mine from stylintrucks.com last time, but I can't seem to find them on there. Maybe somebody else will know of a source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Petty
I don't know, but I've been told: You never slow down, you never grow old.
jb1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:09 PM   #332
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

I have been looking for a set of the HD door handles for mine, going to swing by tomorrow morning and see about getting a set. They are way nicer than the light duty series.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:19 PM   #333
Ackattack

Took the truck on its first "long" trip about 80 miles round trip. The truck did fine, its nice to have cruise control. Doing 65 on a two lane road could get a little scary if you don't pay attention. It wonders around in the lane quite a bit. It might be a little slop in the gear box, but the rest of the steering is tight. I think more of it has to do with it being a big lifted truck on 35s. I think when I put on a steering stabilizer, that will help a little. Anyways, it keeps you awake

Tonight I got the washer tank hooked up and working correctly and adjusted the wipers so they park lower and don't hit the drivers side A pillar

Then I moved on to the trailer wiring harnes. I got a T plug that taps into the factory wiring harness for the taillights, brake lights, and turn signals. It's supposed to be for a flat 4 connector, but of course this is a real truck and I have a brake controler, so I cut off the 4 pin connector and wired those wires into the 7 pin connector. I still have to install the brake controller, so more to do on that later.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:12 AM   #334
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackattack View Post
Took the truck on its first "long" trip about 80 miles round trip. The truck did fine, its nice to have cruise control. Doing 65 on a two lane road could get a little scary if you don't pay attention. It wonders around in the lane quite a bit. It might be a little slop in the gear box, but the rest of the steering is tight. I think more of it has to do with it being a big lifted truck on 35s. I think when I put on a steering stabilizer, that will help a little. Anyways, it keeps you awake

Tonight I got the washer tank hooked up and working correctly and adjusted the wipers so they park lower and don't hit the drivers side A pillar

Then I moved on to the trailer wiring harnes. I got a T plug that taps into the factory wiring harness for the taillights, brake lights, and turn signals. It's supposed to be for a flat 4 connector, but of course this is a real truck and I have a brake controler, so I cut off the 4 pin connector and wired those wires into the 7 pin connector. I still have to install the brake controller, so more to do on that later.
I bought a really nice plug from Orileys, had a 7 flat and 4 round, and all of the wires in the back were potted into it with a pig tail,

If you haven't pulled em out already your truck should have a orange and blue wire for the trailer brakes included in the factory harness.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:12 AM   #335
Ackattack

Progress continues:

I removed the intercooler tonight, as I said, to get it narrowed so the headlights will fit properly. In order to remove the intercooler, I had to removed the grill, head lights, aux fan, electric fan, and radiator. Fun stuff, but its out!

Then I started in on removing the transmission. Droppped the driveshafts, the exhuast, the TC shift linkage, hoses, wires, and then the transfer case:

Then I started in on the transmission itself. Had to remove the transmission crossmember (luckily its a bolt in design, whoever came up with that design is a genius), the clutch slave, the shifter handle, and then the bolts holding it to the bellhousing. Now normally, it should have just slid out, but not in a swap like mine. Since I set the cab onto the drivetrain, the shift tower wouldn't allow me to slide the transmisssion back far enough to get it out, even with the trans tilted down. So I hopped in the cab, and opened up the shifter hole a little with a body saw......hey, you gotta do what you gotta do. So finally after monkeying with that for awhile I got it out.

(sorry for the crap picture)

Rebuilt starts tomorrow (hopefully end tomorrow as well). I have to run and get some RTV and threadlocker at least before I start assembling it.

I'm hoping to be installing the trans on Sunday.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:15 AM   #336
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

Didn't want to remove the shifter stub? Lookin forward to some pictures of the modddd IC
Posted via Mobile Device

70 Crew Cab Build Link

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
Old 04-28-2013, 01:24 AM   #337
Ackattack

Things didn't go quite as well as I had hoped. I fought getting 2 bearings of the shafts, I ended up having to cut the bearings off. Huge pain, and took a long time. If I would have boughten the $400 special bearing pullers it would have been a lot easier Good thing the I have a new main shaft, cause this one is toast.

Then I fought one of the snap rings for a LONG time. You have to spread this one snap ring really wide. In the process of doing this, my snap ring pliers were bending, and I just couldn't get this snap ring off. So then I used 2 studs (from my stud gun set, to act as a spacer. It took awhile, but I got it off.

I doubt I get it all put back together tomorrow, I have some things to do, and hopefully going to get the intercooler welded up.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:23 AM   #338
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

Did the kit come with a manual?

70 Crew Cab Build Link

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
Old 04-28-2013, 04:30 PM   #339
Ackattack

No, I bought the manual seperately from http://www.quad4x4.com/
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-29-2013, 07:37 PM   #340
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbclassix View Post
Didn't want to remove the shifter stub? Lookin forward to some pictures of the modddd IC
Posted via Mobile Device
Even with the shifter stub out, the tower still sticks up about 3" or so.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:51 PM   #341
Ackattack

Here's what an exploded view of a NV4500:

I spent about an hour and a half tonight assembling the mainshaft. Most of it went together good until I got to that big ol' snap ring. Here's what I tried first, taping studs to the snap ring so I could open it up wide enough:

Well, that didn't work.

So I thought about it, and thought if I could get something to wedge between the openings, that might work, so a few tools and zip ties led me to this:

That almost worked, but not quite

So then I sacrificed a screwdriver and cut off the handle, zip tied it to the shaft, and tired the snap ring pliers again:

And it worked!!!

I put on a few more pieces and got to where I need to put on the bearing and called it a night.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:55 PM   #342
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Even with the shifter stub out, the tower still sticks up about 3" or so.
It makes a good place to dump in the liquid gold after installation... I have the early style in my 95 Yukon and with the gm stub pulled it JUST cleared with the engine leaned back. Can't imagine trying it with a REAL motor in there. I wish I could see this truck in person.
Posted via Mobile Device

70 Crew Cab Build Link

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
Old 04-30-2013, 12:02 AM   #343
Ackattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbclassix View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah, I didn't realize it would come out until you posted this, and then looked at the exploded view of the tranny. I was thinking you had to pull the top cover off to get that part out. Oh well, install (in that respect) will be easier.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:33 AM   #344
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

Well, I learned the same way so don't feel bad. I should have taken a picture of my snap ring pliers for you before I left for surgery. They are my "must-have" I bought them for doing the big stuff in the mine and they are magic on NP205 front out put snap rings, and every other external snap ring that destroys the interchangeable tip kind of pliers. When I get back I will get you a part number. They are worth every penny.
Posted via Mobile Device

70 Crew Cab Build Link

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
Old 04-30-2013, 11:33 PM   #345
Ackattack

Well that was easy

I baked the rear main shaft bearing for 20-30 min @ 350 until golden brown....oh...I mean nice and hot. Slipped right over the shaft. I lightly tapped on it to ensure its in place.

I also put the front counter shaft bearing, just pressed that one on.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:03 AM   #346
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

Now that you don't need it... Craftsman 47386
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

70 Crew Cab Build Link

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
Old 05-01-2013, 04:40 PM   #347
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

I've found these are the best for these kind of snap rings.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:11 PM   #348
Ackattack

I got the transmission finished up and installed. I still have the transfer case and other stuff to put back together.

However I did buy something to pull behind the truck

97 jeep TJ with a 5 speed and 4.0L
Old 05-05-2013, 07:03 PM   #349
RatRod68

Nice. My TJ was the same setup, only with the 4 cyl. Worst idea ever. Glad to see you went on with the 4 liter.
D-Ranged Ford Ranger on steroids

Semper Fi
RatRod68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:12 PM   #350
Ackattack

Here's my old jeep I had a few years ago. I sold it to help fund my '68. I had A LOT of fun with it on the trails in WA. I'm not sure what the wheelin is like now that I'm in KS.