The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-06-2023, 04:22 PM   #801
Just call me Sean

Re: What did you do to your truck today??

I thought my starter was bad and it probably was since sometimes it only clicks, so I changed it and after a lot of grief today I discovered one cylinder is filling up with water. So I have a blown head gasket and/or a cracked head.
Just call me Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 05:05 PM   #802
pjmoreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just call me Sean View Post
I thought my starter was bad and it probably was since sometimes it only clicks, so I changed it and after a lot of grief today I discovered one cylinder is filling up with water. So I have a blown head gasket and/or a cracked head.
No!!!! I'm sorry to hear that!
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 09:05 PM   #803
Just call me Sean

Thanks. I got a picture of the mess all over the nose. I'll start taking it apart in the morning.
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2023, 06:20 PM   #804
Just call me Sean

I've got it apart. Water was getting in at least cylinders # 1, 4, 6, and 7. Drivers side head has an obvious crack. I need to inspect the passenger head and block better.
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2023, 07:40 PM   #805
Just call me Sean

So... I'm at the point where I'm going to park it and use the 99 for work temporarily. I worked on it all weekend up to 4 AM Monday morning. Initial test drive wasn't great. The head I used was a bit crusty from sitting, I cleaned it up and sprayed it down with WD40 before I installed it. At 4 AM with no muffler I didn't drive it much especially with the way it was running, pretty sure the valves were sticking and it took quite a bit of cranking to get it to start the first time. I got a couple hours of sleep and figured I would see how it does when I went to the gas station in the morning. It was better, I figured it needed to work through so I took it to work. The further I went the better it got, the temperature was good. Then today, it was still running pretty good but when I got to the gas station it was leaking water. It looked like the heater hose so I figured it tore when I removed it so I cut off the end, put it back on and went to work. At work, I see it's still leaking. I only noticed the leak in the first place because I've been checking the flywheel teeth for damage every time I stop so I wouldn't have to turn the engine by hand. The flywheel is damaged, it's missing at least one tooth from me cranking it with the cylinders full of water. I'm hoping the leak is just the fitting which I've changed before. Then I get home, I've been smelling gas and when I got out to open my gate I hear the gas cap hissing. I take it off and it lets out lots of fumes and if I put the cap back on the fumes immediately build up enough pressure to make the cap hiss again. The exploded part of the muffler is facing the gas tank. The heat from it has melted a part of the plastic skid plate and is heating up the fuel in the gas tank to where it pressurizes the tank.

So in short, I need to change the flywheel, change the muffler, and fix the water leak before I can start using it again.
Old 01-10-2023, 11:00 PM   #806
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Man that’s a bummer. Hope that’s back on the road before too long.

I didn’t do anything today but did get some fresh GM door handles in. Dates are 2020 and 2021 assembled in Canada.
Attached Images

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 12:35 AM   #807
Just call me Sean

Thanks. The flywheel will be the fun part. I'll do that this weekend if I don't get to it sooner.

The water leak seems to be fixed. I removed the fitting and it looked fine other than the tip was crusty so I cleaned it up, put new Teflon tape on it and put it back in. I think I didn't have the hose clamp low enough so it wouldn't seal on the crusty tip. I also cut off the muffler, I'll order the new one tomorrow.
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2023, 08:08 AM   #808
special-K
Special Order

I'm surprised my muffler hasn't exploded yet. Probably because it's a Flowmaster. couple years ago a donut gasket started leaking and it give a big backfire if I wasn't careful letting off at speed. It started leaking again a couple months ago and the big BANG came back. Fixed it again, no big BANG. A new system is on the list. No tailpipes, straight off the muffler now.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 03:26 PM   #809
Just call me Sean

Flywheel is out. Here's a picture of the worst section.
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2023, 05:21 PM   #810
Just call me Sean

Flywheel is installed, everything is together. Now to work on the muffler.
Old 01-14-2023, 10:19 PM   #811
Just call me Sean

Muffler is on, oil is changed, everything is together. Haven't ran it yet. I was going to mess with the starter but while I was cleaning up the garden hose burst and got everything under the truck wet. It's too cold to be laying in water. I've had issues with the starter for a long time, reading the installation instructions mentions a 1/8 inch gap and mine has over 1/4. So I check my van and it has 1/8. I'll see if I can shim it closer tomorrow, otherwise the other solution I've found was to grind the mounting surface of the starter.
Old 01-15-2023, 04:34 PM   #812
Just call me Sean

So I pulled out of my gate to go exchange the starter and my van caught fire. I'm not sure why, but I did get it extinguished fairly quick. Damage looks minimal. Wires don't look like they shorted out, just melted from the fire.
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2023, 07:16 PM   #813
hatzie

That AC box might be miserable to find a replacement for.
1972 Ford F250 FE390, NP435/NP205 SOLD
1976 Chevy K20, 6.5L, NV4500/NP208 SOLD
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2000 GMC C2500, TD6.5L, NV4500
2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD 6.0L 4L80E/NP263
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
And please let us know if and how your repairs were successful.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 07:53 PM   #814
Just call me Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatzie View Post
That AC box might be miserable to find a replacement for.
I have a cracked one on my parts van if I can't find a better one. The coolant reservoir also burned up and I'm not sure where the parts van one is. It doesn't seem to be available new.
Old 01-16-2023, 09:15 AM   #815
special-K
Special Order

Bad luck! I guess that fire started up pretty quick if you were just pulling out of your driveway.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 01-16-2023, 06:31 PM   #816
hatzie

The 93 & prior surge tank isn't pressurized. If you can't find the 15588837 in used or new condition you can probably source something similar and fab some brackets.

I'd go on an expedition in the pick and pull. There are a bunch of overflow bottles on Japanese & US SUV, Truck & Van chassis that might fit the bill.

This little beast used on the Honda CRV might be a possibility.
https://www.amazon.com/Overflow-Expa..._df_B07DNJG1TY
1972 Ford F250 FE390, NP435/NP205 SOLD
1976 Chevy K20, 6.5L, NV4500/NP208 SOLD
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2000 GMC C2500, TD6.5L, NV4500
2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD 6.0L 4L80E/NP263
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
And please let us know if and how your repairs were successful.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 07:34 PM   #817
Just call me Sean

Up to 91 is available, mine's a 92. I'm not sure what else would be needed besides the bottle to make it work. Mine has a special bracket.

I think I know what happened, according to online research. My blower didn't work well, and the evaporator case was filled with leaves. I mean full. I pulled out a bunch and I'm sure a bunch burned up in the fire. When the blower doesn't work well the resistors get hot and when they are surrounded by leaves they ignite them.
Old 01-17-2023, 07:44 AM   #818
attack eagle

Worked on recovering a set of visors…

But I forgot the cardboard opening is larger than the mirror is so I wound up with a hole too big amd had to pull all the material off.

Now I get to redo them again tomorrow night.
Attached Images

1995 C3500 CCLB DRW W/T
7.4L + 4L80e + Doug Nash overdrive, 22” custom Alcoas,
Escalade clip, De Ville tails, shaved handles, Sir Micheals roll pan
attack eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 05:18 PM   #819
pjmoreland

Got this new brake pedal pad from the local Chevy dealership for $3.68 + tax (part number 15080812). Also got a new door switch from them, so now the buzzer works if I leave the key in the ignition and open the door. For some reason the old door switch was turning on the dome light but wasn't activating the buzzer for the key. I think there might be two sets of contacts in the door switch since there are three pins on the connector.
Attached Images

pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 11:28 PM   #820
Just call me Sean

I found the reservoir. It was in the back of the parts van.
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2023, 08:41 PM   #821
Just call me Sean

I picked up wheel cylinders for the 93. Bought the wrong ones, exchanged them, they gave me the wrong part number, exchanged them again, and so far broke the drivers side line. Rusted solid. Down to only the 99 as the S10 radiator burst internally and put water in the transmission.
Old 01-20-2023, 11:54 PM   #822
Just call me Sean

Passenger side line also broke. I have a spare rear and I took the lines off of it. Took it for a ride, I think it needs more bleeding. Tomorrow.
Old 01-21-2023, 09:47 PM   #823
Just call me Sean

Rear brakes seem to be working intermittently. I have the rear brake hose ordered, will pick it up and put it on tomorrow. Hopefully that will do it.
Old 01-23-2023, 01:53 AM   #824
Just call me Sean

Brake hose is on, brakes are bled. I haven't taken it out yet. S10 radiator came in so I installed it and changed the transmission fluid and filter. Pulled the A/C boxes from the vans. Didn't have time to do any more with it yet. Still a bunch of leaves inside. The van is going on the slab for a bit of work. Repairing the fire damage, changing the steering box seals, and changing the head gaskets. I also want to try and do something better with the heater hoses and valve. They're crammed into a little spot and the return hose is kinked so I don't think they flow right.
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2023, 08:36 AM   #825
special-K
Special Order

What is it about winter that makes gremlins rear their stinkin' heads? I figured it was the hot/cold cycles with weakness showing in cold due to contraction and metal more brittle. But looks like Florida is no different. At least they're all in your driveway

Tim