The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-15-2011, 11:08 AM   #1
72gmcshorty

Stock Gauges?

What needs to be done to make the stock gauges work?

I recall the oil sender needs to be drilled and tapped. I don't recall the rest.

I have a 2006 motor and was wondering if I can fill the hole in the firewall for the speedo?
Old 10-15-2011, 12:33 PM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: Stock Gauges?

youd need a converter take the electronic output and convert it to something a traditional cable style speedo can understand. I think its called a CableX or something like that.

Oil sender needs to be drilled for, I drilled the relocation blockoff on my swap pan.

Temp sensor needs to be installed.

Fuel level may or may not read right depending on the resistance sweep it reads. Depending if you have a later model sending unit, or the original piece, the gauge may or may not work. If it doesn't work (IE Reading FULL all the time), you can add a resistor inline and fix the problem. There are a couple threads on that itself.

There may also be an issue with the tach; the LS pcm puts out a 4cyl tach signal, which doesn't translate to gauges setup for 8cyl read. Usually you can just change the tach to 4cyl mode, but on a stock piece that isn't really an option. I've been told a tuner with access to the PCM through HP tuners or similar, can change the tach signal output in the computer. I have no first hand experience with this one tho.

Volt gauge/Ammeter should work as is.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:55 AM   #3
Shon

Speedo: I use the Abbott Cable X box to run my stock Speedo from the VSS from PCM.
Oil pressure: PCM doesnt need the input so I use Autometer 2268 to adapt to a mechanical sending unit
Temp sensor must me in the head for the PCM and then I have a seperate mechanical sensor put in the heater hose but you could tap the WP to get the temp or put a sending unit in the passenger head with the right adaptor.
To get a tach to work you can change the PCM to put out the correct signal but sometimes you need a resistor, search google for that info.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:43 AM   #4
usmcchevy
Has more rust than truck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shon View Post
To get a tach to work you can change the PCM to put out the correct signal but sometimes you need a resistor, search google for that info.
FAQ: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=445975

LSx Swap FAQ index
usmcchevy is offline   Reply With Quote