The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-16-2023, 11:07 PM   #1
vardenafil

lokar shifter hitting dash. slips out of park

I have a 1972 k20 that the pervious owner put in a lokar shifter on the floor. The shifter is a little sloppy with the movements. it goes all the way to and hits the dash when i try to put it in park. a couple times when i have tried to start the truck it jerks in reverse because it is in gear. is there a way to move the shifter or angle it back? i looked at the instal instructions it didnt say much. also is the supposed to be some kind of kill switch that wont let the truck start in gear?
vardenafil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 11:26 PM   #2
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: lokar shifter hitting dash. slips out of park

Quote:
Originally Posted by vardenafil View Post
I have a 1972 k20 that the pervious owner put in a lokar shifter on the floor. The shifter is a little sloppy with the movements. it goes all the way to and hits the dash when i try to put it in park. a couple times when i have tried to start the truck it jerks in reverse because it is in gear. is there a way to move the shifter or angle it back? i looked at the instal instructions it didnt say much. also is the supposed to be some kind of kill switch that wont let the truck start in gear?
The Neutral Safety Switch [NSS] is only present on Factory built automatics. You have to be careful to put it in Park or Neutral. It would be a PIA to splice a new NSS into your starter circuit. You could get an electrical harness for an AT-equipped truck, but it will be spendy.

As for the shifting problems, you may have to pull the hump panel and tighten up some of your transmission control connections. As there are several makers of aftermarket shifters, we need pix of your set up. I'm sure it can be moved but I have no idea how.

I had an idiot at a Jiffy Lube muscle his way past a detent on a B&M floor shifter on my '67 K/10 Suburban w/ 454/TH350/NP205. All the kid needed to do was pull up on a toggle under the T-handle to go over a gate, but they can't afford to hire geniuses there.
Now I change my own oil.
I replaced it with a Hurst shifter.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 08:56 AM   #3
1967GMCC20

There are different locations on the shifter plate to optimize lication. The adj shift rod length can be changed as well. Mine had several locations, now it works nice. It's hard to get in low, but with BB and deep gear, never use low.
Attached Images

1967GMCC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 10:21 AM   #4
RustyPile

Quote:
I have a Lokar shifter, floor mounted model.. Takes a bit adjusting to get the NSS working right. Wiring in the NSS is very simple. Just add length to the existing wires to the original terminals at the plug.. I've had mine about 3 years and have never had any issues such as you describe.
Attached Images

RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 04:43 PM   #5
LS short box

I have a Lokar cable shifter in my LS/4L60E swapped 98 Wrangler. 15 years on the swap zero issues.
On my current 80 Camaro LS3/4L60E project I used the Lokar shifter but its the direct rod style. On my Camaro I had to build a bracket that bolted to the front two mounting holes in the Lokar mount to tip the shifter back a bit. See pics.
I would contact Lokar for NSS adjustment. I don't believe they sell one an auto shifter without one.
Attached Images

LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 04:53 PM   #6
vardenafil

i think the previous owner installed incorectly. there is too much slop in the lever before it even moves out of gear. the rear mounting bracket is missing i think if that was on it would be solid. i also think the shifter needs to be moved back one notch on the pattern. ill post pictures later to show what i mean.
vardenafil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 12:08 AM   #7
RustyPile

Quote:
i think the previous owner installed incorectly. there is too much slop in the lever before it even moves out of gear. the rear mounting bracket is missing i think if that was on it would be solid. i also think the shifter needs to be moved back one notch on the pattern. ill post pictures later to show what i mean.
Couple suggestions.. Contact Lokar and ask for a copy of the instructions for your particular model..

The cable operated shifter is different from my "rod operated" shifter. My shifter came with 3 different arms that fit on the shifter mechanism. After you get the shifter mounted in the floor, and have selected the arm and have it "clocked" per the instructions, here's how to get the transmission arm and shifter in sync and connected.. Remove the threaded shift rod. Put the shifter in park. Put the transmission in park. Measure the distance between the holes in the two arms.. Subtract 1 1/2 inches and cut the treaded rod to that length.. Put a jamb nut on each end of the rod. Install a spherical rod end on each end and adjust the length so that the connector bolts will pass through the rod ends easily..... The detents in the transmission should coincide with the detents on the shifter..
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote