The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-29-2022, 02:37 PM   #1
Mr. Moeschberger

Hello! A new-to-me 68 and some questions!

Hi there, long time lurker, first time poster. I've recently acquired this 1968 2WD Burb and am eager to learn from all of the mistakes you all have made love the years

I bought this from a guy who bought it in 1984 from the original owner (I think). It got a replacement 350 in 1994 (which was also the last time it was painted.) It got a trans rebuild 9K miles ago (according to the handwritten chart clipped to the sun visor) It has power assist steering which is currently leaking, but less so than my 2004 Mercedes station wagon. It has a custom rear bumper and had a trailer brake controller (which I've already removed) It also has a "custom" rubber floor made out of old mud flaps, primarily.

I love the patina, it's remarkably solid and runs well.

Anyway, I'm planning on disc brakes all around and lowering it (then a wheel and tire decision). As I'm looking for kits to make this happen, I'm trying to make sure I understand what will fit and what won't, and to see if anyone has experience with this kit from CJ's pony parts: (https://www.cjponyparts.com/classic-...p/6770GSK6D-V/)

Can't wait to learn from this community!
Attached Images

Mr. Moeschberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 03:40 PM   #2
Beach-Burban

Re: Hello! A new-to-me 68 and some questions!

Welcome to the group...there's lots help available here (unfortunately, not from me in this case), but your '68 seems to be low on rust issues so you're ahead of the game with regards to that! Looking forward to your progress!!!

Woody
Beach-Burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 03:44 PM   #3
Mr. Moeschberger

Yeah, a long life in California has saved it from the oxide monster!
Old 04-29-2022, 04:55 PM   #4
HO455
Post Whore

Welcome aboard!
That's a good looking Burban you scored.

I too have no input on the kit you have listed. I do suggest that you do a search (Use the search box above and click the 67-72 button) since the pickups use the same suspension as the Burbans (with the possible exception of rear springs). There also is a whole suspension section full of information on DIY modifications the suspension, such as the "Caster Mod".

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=501241

Doing a search should cover all of these sections where the pertinent information you seek may be stored. If you are unable to locate exactly what you need then pose the question about the kit in the pickup section for a much wider audience

Good luck and please share your findings.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 05:07 PM   #5
Mr. Moeschberger

Thanks! I hoped that the suspension was the same as the trucks. Now that you've confirmed, I'm off down the rabbit hole of CPP reviews and rants.

The worst is that I'm in Fresno, where ECE (who seem universally loved) used to be. Of course they're out of business now............

-1968 Suburban-
Old 04-30-2022, 12:54 PM   #6
HO455
Post Whore

I believe that ECE has been bought by Holly. It may be worth looking to see what products they have available.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote