The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-14-2008, 02:13 PM   #1
P-stone

1972 C-10 low buck cleanup

Just a few BS progress shots. Nothing special, but it's come a long way. The original owner's wife gave me the truck for free about 1.5 months ago. At first, I wasn't going to touch it. Instead, I planned to use it as most would use a free truck... a beater for hauling and to drive around when my main car was down for whatever reason. Well, that didn't last long and I decided I had to freshen up the engine bay. My total for this only came to about $60, as I wanted to keep it low budget. I am much happier with the engine bay's appearance. I still need to install the heater core. I'll continue to add pics as I update.

Future plans are to continue freshening up the truck all the way to the rear. Respray the inside and install bucket seats. Then I'd like to lower it, but I don't want to do airbags. I'm going for somewhat of a street rod theme, hence the flat black. It's always been my favorite color.

Everyone tells me that the motor looks small for a 350, but the original owner himself told me that it was and had recently been rebuilt with a slightly larger cam. Him being the original owner and very proud of the truck, I have no reason to believe he would lie. I'm open to advice and suggestions, this is my first truck ever. You guys have alot more experience with these and I love to learn. Thanks!

-Preston

To give you an idea of what the inner fenders looked like. I left the wheel liners off when re-installing, as I only plan on driving this on nice days. I love the extra room to work as well!

Snapped these while cleaning up today.

Last edited by P-stone; 01-14-2008 at 02:19 PM.
P-stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:21 PM   #2
1966gmc
Why does it taste purple?

Re: 1972 C-10 low buck cleanup

Looking good man.If you are only goin to drive it on good days,why do you need a heater? Shave it off
1966gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 03:17 PM   #3
Rokcrln

You know after looking at the pics of that motor I think the original owner was incorect. It does look about an inch or maybe even one and a half inches smaller than a 350, might be a 305 or a 283

Nice looking truck by the way, hows the rust?

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:33 AM   #4
P-stone

The rust is pretty good. It spent most of it's life here in the Va Beach area filled with salty humidity. I might end up looking for another cab, mine's rusted out good at the spots where it mounts to the frame. The chassis is still solid, just has some surface rust. When doing the front, I sanded, primed, and sprayed the chassis back to halfway under the cab. When I remove the bed to work on the back, I plan on finishing the chassis cleanup all the way back.

That major rust spots I've just cut out so far (body panels and firewall, not the frame! lol). I don't have a welder or any sheetmetal fab skills currently, but at least I cut the cancer out for the time being. After I purchase a welder in the future, I will attempt welding in replacement pieces. That's my favorite part about this project, is that it's going to be a gigantic learning experience. For the last 4 years, I've been into modifying imports (tastefully, not rice), so this is a welcome change!

Thanks for the comments so far!

Edit - it does look about 1.3 inches too big for a 350, doesnt it!!

/sarcaism

Last edited by P-stone; 01-15-2008 at 06:39 AM.
P-stone is offline   Reply With Quote