The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-14-2002, 05:16 AM   #1
gabet40

conversion to leaf springs?

my rear ends shot so im lookin to switch out my rearends. i have two friends that have some six lug rear ends theyll give me but theyre both leaf springs. is the conversion easy for us? have many people done it?
if this is a stupid question, please forgive me, i havent looked into it at all lol thanx in advance

Former owner of:
69 1/2 ton, change from long/fleet to short/fleet, shaved door handles, shaved tailgate, 4/6 drop, power windows, 700r4
72 blazer, 350 with Holley Commander 950 DFI, crane energizer cam, 350 tranny, dual sanderson blockhuggers/magnaflow exhaust
gabet40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 05:25 AM   #2
68 Suburban

I think you would be better off converting the rearend to coil springs.
Old 06-14-2002, 07:17 AM   #3
tom hand
CCRider

Chevy Duty sells a weld on kit to convert a rear end to fit the coil setup, much easier.
Old 06-14-2002, 12:31 PM   #4
SCOTI

While converting the rears to coils is the quickest way it may not be the best (for you)if you don't have access to a welder or if the local welder charges an arm & a leg. Another solution is to get all the leaf brackets & crossmembers from a 67-72 truck that the rears came from as you won't need a welder. Just grind off the old rivets & bolt everything back together & use grade 8 hardware. This would also be a good time to flip the rear end if your gonna lower it.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 04:05 PM   #5
Yellow Cheyenne

It can defenitely be done. Did it once to a '69 1/2 ton. You will need the donor vehicle to get all of the brackets and other trinkets that are different when comparing a coil to leaf suspension. Would probably be easier to get their rearends converted to coil, but as stated above, converting to leaf could be done with grinder, punch, BA hammer, and some bolts. Good luck with which ever you choose. Keep in mind that the drive shaft should be changed also as they are differnet, the leaf drive shaft has a sliding joint where the coil does not.
'70 Olds Rallye 350
Yellow Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote