The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Project Penicillin~ 68 crewcab build up! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=188993)

Rokcrln 02-12-2006 12:33 PM

Re: Project Penicillin~ 68 crewcab build up!

The body mounts are removed and re-adjusted for a correct fit. If the frame is the same width all you have to do is re-locate them for the proper cab to body allignment.

From start to finish it was about 10-12hrs.

Kevin

SLIMJIM 02-12-2006 01:12 PM

Very nice work.

SLIMJIM

Long Roof 02-12-2006 09:42 PM

I will be keeping an eye on this one. I have a spare burb just sitting waiting for a crew cab treatment.

Keep the updates coming!

Aaron

Rokcrln 02-12-2006 09:47 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Well I only spent a few hours working on it today and most of that involved a cut off wheel! Looks like we are heading in the 4th door direction. After looking at options to fix the rear cab corner correctly I ended up cutting off the skin and finding tons more rust. After a bit of looking I think the 4th door will not be as hard as most people think. extd56 is looking for some more parts and we will put to gether a doner list of pieces.

Kevin

red71cheyenne 02-13-2006 12:01 AM

Kevin, more great work! Thanks for giving us the pics and updates. How do you weld your rockers on? Do you weld around the edges, or do you use pilot holes and fill weld? Thanks, Jeff.

Rokcrln 02-13-2006 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red71cheyenne
Kevin, more great work! Thanks for giving us the pics and updates. How do you weld your rockers on? Do you weld around the edges, or do you use pilot holes and fill weld? Thanks, Jeff.

Depends on how bad the structure is to begain with. This one was so bad in the front I welded everything solid for more suport. The rear was plug welded to the jamb and the threashold was also plug welded. If the front had been in good shape and ONLY needed a rocker cover I would just plug/spot weld it. Hope that answers your question.

Kevin

SOMAD 02-13-2006 09:39 AM

Looking good man its good to see others repairing stuff correctly instead of just covering rust up with new panels. Nice work man and on that 4th door u should be able to use a left door and just shorten it and use a door post outta truck in the rear and then just fab the center post,but im sure u got that figured out seeing the great work u do. THUMBSUP

Yukon Jack 02-13-2006 11:14 AM

I've said it before, you do awesome work! Incredible to see how much you get done in such short time.

red71cheyenne 02-13-2006 12:59 PM

That was what I was wondering. I am using plug/spot welding on mine and just wondered if you went the same route. Your welds are so good I can't see them. Mine aren't quite that good.:o Thanks, Jeff.

72CREWCAB 02-13-2006 11:57 PM

Awsome work, Kevin! Love to watch a master at work, and still have the time to document so well! Should be awsome when finished. I'll be following closely. Jamie.

HuggerCST 02-14-2006 11:30 AM

It's funny that I just found this thead. I have been thinking about building myself a 4 door truck like this in the future as a daily driver, and found a suburban just last night, lol. Looks like someone is telling me to do it!. I'd be interested in seeing pics of how/where the rear panel was added on.

extd56 02-14-2006 07:45 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here are a few pictures of the donor truck that I found for the cab parts that Kevin needed.

LUV2XCLR8 02-14-2006 08:25 PM

:phat:

bojoe 02-14-2006 09:46 PM

Lookin sweet. Looks like the back window would have been a challenge to roll up and down with all the rust in the roller jam. It will be a head turner when you get it done, no doubt.

Rokcrln 02-15-2006 07:44 AM

So now if you have to work on Prez day it is double time right:rolleyes:

Looks like I will get to have a busy four day week end!

Kevin

krue 02-15-2006 08:08 AM

Excellent job, both the metal work and the thread on it.:D

Palf70Step 02-15-2006 01:23 PM

Love watching your threads. Keeps me motivated on mine.

Rokcrln 02-15-2006 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palf70Step
Love watching your threads. Keeps me motivated on mine.

Heck mine is sitting in the corner collecting dust as I am working on everyone elses. But I am getting motivated to finish mine, sell it and start a real wild project idea I have:cool:

More pics to come, I will be working on extd56's project over the long weekend and should get quite a bit of stuff roughed in. I will be starting to smooth the running boards Thursday night:confused:

Kevin

extd56 02-15-2006 11:42 PM

I got the donor cab all cleaned up and unbolted from the frame, its ready to do its part to help out the crewcab.

Vince Putt 02-16-2006 11:41 PM

I'd like to see some pictures of the rear floor. I'm curious how much of the floor had to be notched to clear the frame rails. I'm thinking of using a 85 SWB frame under my 67 standard cab but the frame kicks up under the seat area on the 85 and the 67 frame kicks up after the cab requiring the notch.

Were the mounting brackets relocated on the frame to match the locations of the cab? If you could take some pictures of the bottom side it would be very helpful to me.

Rokcrln 02-16-2006 11:53 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are some shot of teh body notch for the newer frame. Yes all the body mounts were relocated and bolted in as needed to keep things mostly lined up.

Note: This was done by the P/O not by me!

Kevin

sixty8c10 02-17-2006 07:25 AM

looking good

Rokcrln 02-18-2006 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOMAD
Looking good man its good to see others repairing stuff correctly instead of just covering rust up with new panels. Nice work man and on that 4th door u should be able to use a left door and just shorten it and use a door post outta truck in the rear and then just fab the center post,but im sure u got that figured out seeing the great work u do. THUMBSUP

Thanks~ The PO liked fiber glass as a rust repair! I will be doing the 4th door in that direction you mentioned but take a close look at your B post on your burb. The owner wants the same door to door look on the drivers side as the passenger side. The pass side has different hinge placement on the second door as well as a diferent strike place and location on the pass front then the drivers side has for hinge clearance. I have started to fab the new post and door opening and by monday I should have some pics to post. It has tuned out to not be as simple as we first thought but it is very doable and will be a great addition once finished!

Kevin

70short/step 02-18-2006 11:44 AM

You do Awsome work! And very informative too. Love watching the build of this. You Rock! :metal:

rockinlocks 02-18-2006 12:34 PM

im curious to know the demensions for that inner rocker panel? im gonna need to make some as well.
thanks!