The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Detailing (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Coke for rust removal (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=387133)

fastwillie 696969 05-23-2011 01:10 AM

Re: Coke for rust removal

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael bustamante (Post 3841646)
so if it eats rust, imagine what it does to your guts????

i lost a kidney

fastwillie 696969 05-23-2011 01:14 AM

one more thing coke does pour in your toilet it cleans up real good as per my house maid

bosco200 07-04-2011 05:58 PM

"Looking to shine up that bumper and refresh yourself....grab a Coke!

oldblue1968chevy 07-04-2011 06:35 PM

So does this really work...I have a 53 chevy with peeled crusty chrome and my 68 with orig. chrome bumpers tin foil and coke/pepsi, right?

67chevy1series 07-05-2011 03:41 AM

yes it does work after you use coke pepsi and scrub it get the rest with clr

SCOTI 08-10-2011 11:46 PM

Going to bump this one....

I picked up some old OE bbc chrome v.covers for cheap that are in decent enough shape w/a LOT of grime, dirt build-up, & surface rust. I tried spraying them down w/some degreaser & scrubbing w/0000 steel wool. That took most of the 'easy' stuff off but not the hard/stubborn stuff. I tried more steel wool w/some WD40 but there wasn't much difference.

Any suggestions on something I can possibly soak these in to loosen the stubborn stuff w/o destroying the present chrome finish (trying to salvage if @ all possible)?

The one I've scrubbed on so far does look better; just still has a long way to go. I'm just trying to work smarter.... not harder.

treveiger 08-11-2011 12:21 AM

Try Apple cider vinegar
Posted via Mobile Device

NONHOG 08-11-2011 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treveiger (Post 4839153)
Try Apple cider vinegar
Posted via Mobile Device

Regular vinegar is what I use, I think its stronger. I free'd up a very rusty fuel sender off my old 49 GMC. Anything acidic should work I would think.
I've used tin foil to shine up rusty chrome but never with coke.
Might be fun to try.

SCOTI 08-11-2011 05:48 PM

Ok, I'll try the vinegar approach. How long of a soak do you guys think (mins, hours, days)?

kev2809 08-11-2011 07:32 PM

would like to know this too..i plan on soaking my bolts in this stuff.

CC69Rat 12-22-2011 05:00 PM

Coke will take the oily film off your windshield too. You know when it's raining and that crap that smears all over as the wipers go by (?) I guess it's oil .. just road grime in general.

terry b 01-27-2012 06:25 PM

Bunch of dang coke heads.

71C10Matt 02-12-2012 01:19 PM

The highway patrol carries coke in their trunks of thecars to remove blood from the
pavement and concrete.
Posted via Mobile Device

speesh 10-24-2012 06:53 PM

I tried the Coke and foil on my rusty chrome wheels. I was surprised how quickly it removed the rust, and it left the chrome looking good. I think I scratched one area where I was rubbing too hard, but it looks far better than the rust did!
By the way, the chrome polish barely made a dent in the rust. But the Coke took it off right away. I think it was actually diet cherry Pepsi.
I bought a new 2 liter bottle of real Coke just for this purpose, but I haven't even opened it yet...:metal:

bronze 72 super 10-30-2012 09:47 PM

Using coke for rust removal is nothing new, my Dad was using this on the old split rim truck wheels, back in the 1940's and 50's!!! Dad always worked in big truck shops, they used lots of coke back then. Hope people enjoy drinking this stuff!!!!

theastronaut 11-07-2012 05:03 PM

Oxalic Acid works great too if you have time and a big enough tank to let something soak. I used it on a set of 1950's Rollfast bicycle fenders and it works pretty good. It's great if you're lazy and don't want to do any scrubbing. :lol: Actually though, since you don't have to scrub the chrome you won't be scratching it. I bought a few pounds of it on ebay, it comes in powder form.

Check out this thread, this guy cleaned a set of chrome wheels that were rusty.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/vie...ghlight=oxalic

http://wetstuff.com/ideas/mangle4.JPG

ETsC10 11-07-2012 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NONHOG (Post 4839759)
Regular vinegar is what I use, I think its stronger. I free'd up a very rusty fuel sender off my old 49 GMC. Anything acidic should work I would think.
I've used tin foil to shine up rusty chrome but never with coke.
Might be fun to try.

Vinegar + salt will strip the oxidation off of nearly anything...works
as well or better than Brasso.

Quote:

Originally Posted by theastronaut (Post 5690684)
Oxalic Acid works great too...

Good tip!
Spinach has oxalic acid...can we grow our own rust remover? :haha:

theastronaut 11-08-2012 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ETsC10 (Post 5691191)
Spinach has oxalic acid...can we grow our own rust remover? :haha:

It's the all natural, health-wise alternative to Coke. :lol:

theastronaut 11-11-2012 05:16 PM

Also, I didn't have a pan/vat big enough for the 26" bicycle wheels and fenders so I found a blow up kiddie pool on clearance at Walmart that did the job quite nicely. The looks I got walking around with that thing in the store were priceless. :lol:

GASoline71 11-14-2012 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fastwillie 696969 (Post 4695092)
one more thing coke does pour in your toilet it cleans up real good as per my house maid

When I was in the Navy back in the 80's we would use a mixture of coke and cherry or grape flavored Kool-aid to clean toilets. Half a can of coke, and a packet of Kool-aid for each toilet, let sit for a couple of hours, swirl with a toilet brush and flush. Clean as a whistle!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ETsC10 (Post 5691191)
Vinegar + salt will strip the oxidation off of nearly anything...works
as well or better than Brasso.

I used to collect pennies as a kid, and we used to use vinegar and salt to clean and shine them up. Let a bunch of wheatbacks soak in there over night and they will look as good as a newly minted coin! Just don't soak any of the steel pennies!

Gary

butchp 12-17-2012 09:16 PM

The Alu foil and water does the same thing.

paintman 12-17-2012 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theastronaut (Post 5690684)
Oxalic Acid works great too if you have time and a big enough tank to let something soak. I used it on a set of 1950's Rollfast bicycle fenders and it works pretty good. It's great if you're lazy and don't want to do any scrubbing. :lol: Actually though, since you don't have to scrub the chrome you won't be scratching it. I bought a few pounds of it on ebay, it comes in powder form.

Check out this thread, this guy cleaned a set of chrome wheels that were rusty.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/vie...ghlight=oxalic

http://wetstuff.com/ideas/mangle4.JPG

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...7/applause.gif

faribran 12-17-2012 09:33 PM

If you are in the northern states you just might have to try "pop"
Posted via Mobile Device

Elchopperfreak 12-18-2012 02:54 AM

Barkeepers Friend and a brass brush works really well too..
Posted via Mobile Device

bob Scott 12-28-2012 12:30 PM

Anyone tried using a battery charger for rust removal? Tons of info on youtube and it seems to work great. The only think is you have to have a tub/tank big enough for your parts.