The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Project Penicillin~ 68 crewcab build up! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=188993)

Rokcrln 02-19-2006 11:44 PM

Re: Project Penicillin~ 68 crewcab build up!

4 Attachment(s)
Another day down! Today was spent building a new driver side "B" post, door strike, door strike jamb area and mounting plate. In order to make this crewcab look factory once it is completed I had to match the passenger side "B" post and related items. It is a major difference between the two sides of a burb. Their was alot of thought that went into making a third door work properly. This means a good bit of one off parts to make a fourth door work as well.

First thing I had to do was rebuild the jamb (parts came from the donor truck extd56 picked up for this project) are for the new strike plate. If you notice the strike plate on a stock drivers side is at a slite slant and the pass side is vertical. This is done so the third door hinge's can mount to a flat surface and not interfear with the front door strike. Then I made the new strike to a mirror image of the pass side and it took 3 strike plate to built this one. Next I modified a stock drivers side nut plate for the strike to bolt to. Last thing before closing things up was to build a mounting plate retainer since you will not be able to get to the nut plate like you can on a pick up.

Once all that was finished up I started on the new "B" post it self. I am using 18ga steel to fill in between the two jambs. It extendes 2" into the post and will have a second plate on the out side once the entire post is fabricated.

Hope you enjoy the pic's

Kevin

Rokcrln 02-19-2006 11:49 PM

5 Attachment(s)
The rest of the pic's!

Kevin

matthufham 02-19-2006 11:50 PM

i'm gonna leave all that fabrication to you, seems too complicated for me. what's sad is nobody's going to know all the engineering that took place in the buildup of this truck unless you tell them.

Rokcrln 02-19-2006 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matthufham
i'm gonna leave all that fabrication to you, seems too complicated for me. what's sad is nobody's going to know all the engineering that took place in the buildup of this truck unless you tell them.

If nobody knows what was done, then my job was done correctly! The best part will be when that guy come up to you and says my dad had one just like this!!

Kevin

extd56 02-20-2006 12:11 AM

I hope you are taking good notes for when I need replacement parts or you want to convert a burb to a 4 door.:)

1967k30 02-20-2006 12:20 AM

How much $$$$ are involved in the job? I'd like a 4door as well,but I'd really just like to have an ex-cab.Any idea what you would charge to do one? Thanks

Rokcrln 02-20-2006 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1967k30
How much $$$$ are involved in the job? I'd like a 4door as well,but I'd really just like to have an ex-cab.Any idea what you would charge to do one? Thanks

In simple numbers~ ALOT!
I won't know untill this one is done. Then I am thinking a 4door Tahoe would be slick!

Kevin

1967k30 02-20-2006 11:22 AM

Too bad you are so far away.I'd have you rebuild the floor,rockers,cab corners,ect on my 67'. I've never seen someone work so fast on a vehicle.:cool:

ClemsonChevy 02-20-2006 12:20 PM

Your super "leet" skills make me want to throw up on myself.......

ClemsonChevy 02-20-2006 12:22 PM

I can barely tie my shoes in comparison to this crap......blah.......you make me sick! :barf: Maybe one day I can be a tenth that good.

Rokcrln 02-20-2006 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemsonChevy
I can barely tie my shoes in comparison to this crap......blah.......you make me sick! :barf: Maybe one day I can be a tenth that good.

Heck I would be happy if someday I am as good as you all say I am! But thanks for the good words... Well the shop should be warm by now so time to get cracking!

Kevin

Rokcrln 02-20-2006 03:55 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Lunch break! I will start the rocker build after I eat a bite or two! Once the rocker is finished then I can skin the out side of the "B" post with its final layer and it will be time to start fab'n up a fourth door!

Kevin

hotrodhomi 02-20-2006 04:11 PM

I like your project Kevin. I can't wait to see that thing put together.

Long Roof 02-20-2006 07:15 PM

You are my hero. Keep up the great work.

Aaron

Palf70Step 02-20-2006 07:20 PM

Excellent. Love to watch your builds.

Rokcrln 02-20-2006 09:40 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Well it is almost a swinger!! I jot the rocker built an dscrewed in place untill the door is complete and working. I then cut down a drivers side truck door as my donor for the fourth door. I cut out the un-needed section and slid them together and just tacked the inside and cleco'd the outer skin. I modified the lower hinge mount on the door to recieve the lower hinge. I still need to section the upper hinge mount and lower it a few inches. That will be another day!! Back to work tomarow so progress will slow a bit on the truck since I only get 1 or 2 hours in the evening to work on it during the week.

Kevin

Rokcrln 02-20-2006 09:42 PM

3 Attachment(s)
A few more!

Kevin

matthufham 02-20-2006 10:22 PM

DONE ALREADY??? wow close though. that's just amazing and i can't find ANY flaws since you seem to be a quick thinker, and a good engineer. looks great!

onetoncrewcab 02-20-2006 11:49 PM

This is impressive.

Nice work Kevin!

Mike

boundstaffpress 02-21-2006 11:16 AM

You are a Freak'n Magician!

Hot Damn! that looks good. I can't believe how fast you work and how good it looks. Amazing. Freak'n Amazing.

Rokcrln 02-21-2006 09:49 PM

5 Attachment(s)
It is now infact a four door crew cab!!!!

After lowering the top hinge and doing some clearance adjustments it now has a swing fourth door:b69:

Their is still alot of work to be done to get this door and jamb 100% comlpete but I feel the hard part is over.

Kevin

71chevytruckguy 02-21-2006 10:15 PM

dang.:jdp: u've got some amazing body work skills. wish i was half as good as that.

matthufham 02-21-2006 10:17 PM

when do you want your 1st place trophy? i thought you had very little time to work during the week.

sixty8c10 02-22-2006 05:54 AM

wow!!!....

67shortie 02-22-2006 06:25 AM

WOW, nice work and quick as well...

I can't wait to see this done, going to be a one of a kind that's for sure.

And to think it took me 3 days to put 2 rockers on my truck, sheesh :lol: