The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   DIY CST Chrome Interior Bedside Strips (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=809313)

harrij4 07-18-2020 12:16 PM

DIY CST Chrome Interior Bedside Strips

5 Attachment(s)
This was buried in another thread of mine, but at the suggestion of a forum member, I'm breaking it out to make it easier to find.

I thought I'd share what I think is a pretty successful "hack" to create your own CST chrome interior bedside strips (the ones that hold the top of edge of the vinyl panels in place).

Step 1: Order 2x of these Schluter Rondec 3/8 Stainless Steel bullnose tile edging. DO NOT TRY TO USE ALUMINUM! The AL ones are hard anodized and you will be unable to polish the rolled edges without a witness line.

Step 2: Trim to length. Because the bed-rail is recessed you have to measure to the outer edge of the two S-curve profiles at either end of the bedrail. The final product is longer on the inboard side than the outboard side, so make sure you measure and trim to the longer inboard length.

Step 3: Cut a rough profile. Cut a rounded taper from bottom to top, and a a slight taper from back to front (outboard to inboard). The outboard to inboard taper should match the S-curve profile of the recesses in the bedrail. Note, the front and rear S-curves are slightly different, for a perfect fit you'll want to measure and cut them specifically.

Step 4: Roll the cut edge. I tried several approaches but ultimately just ended up using some stubby needle nose pliers to slightly roll the cut edges under.

Step 5: Sand & Polish. The pliers will leave some pretty deep gouges, so you'll have to sand them smooth. Then polish the living hell out of the entirety of both pieces.

Step 6: Rivet in place. Prior to riveting, I applied a half-width of some very thin 3M trim adhesive tape. This helps with mounting, but more importantly it prevents any buzzing between trim strip and the bedside. I used very small stainless steel rivets about every 10" to fasten the trim strips to the bedside. You could possibly use screws, but they would need VERY low-profile heads so that the vinyl panel's top edge can still slide up into the trip strip.

Step 7: Install your CST panels and enjoy!

I'm personally thrilled with the way these came out, and the whole thing cost ~$100 which is about 1/10th the price of tracking down the real thing, then getting them re-plated. But, I know for some folks they'll want the authentic parts, and more power to ya'! Just wanted to share this as an option.

harrij4 07-18-2020 12:17 PM

Re: DIY CST Chrome Interior Bedside Strips

2 Attachment(s)
And, the finished product:

wesmigletz 07-18-2020 12:32 PM

Looks good. Nice write-up. Thank you for sharing

Thealien 07-18-2020 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wesmigletz (Post 8776770)
Looks good. Nice write-up. Thank you for sharing

What he said!

I already bought the strips because of your discussion. Probably be a year before I need them.

harrisoncole4 07-18-2020 03:24 PM

This is a great alternative to the hard to find and expensive originals!

Classics Fan 07-19-2020 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harrij4 (Post 8776758)
I'm personally thrilled with the way these came out, and the whole thing cost ~$100 which is about 1/10th the price of tracking down the real thing, then getting them re-plated. But, I know for some folks they'll want the authentic parts, and more power to ya'! Just wanted to share this as an option.

Nice work and great story-by-step directions! Something that caught my eye was your statement that alluded to OEM rails in new condition being in the range of $1k. I spent a few minutes looking online and didn’t see any new, used or repops. I’m interested in knowing if OEM’s are really that pricey. My 1971 Jimmy came without the panels but the trim was there and is like new.
Posted via Mobile Device

harrij4 07-20-2020 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Classics Fan (Post 8777256)
Nice work and great story-by-step directions! Something that caught my eye was your statement that alluded to OEM rails in new condition being in the range of $1k. I spent a few minutes looking online and didn’t see any new, used or repops. I’m interested in knowing if OEM’s are really that pricey. My 1971 Jimmy came without the panels but the trim was there and is like new.
Posted via Mobile Device

My $1k price is just my own ballpark for what I've seen in the last couple years. IF you can find them (as you noted, usually you can't), they run $500-$750 a pair. And, since they were low carbon steel with 1970's quality chrome (read: crappy) they inevitably need replating - something that's getting more and more expensive due to reduced B2C demand and more environmental restrictions. So, by the time you're done....$1k. The odd thing is, the earlier 1st Gen door panels used the same trim profile on the top. Whoever is making repops of those could probably make the bedside trim fairly easily....but they don't.

a1vintage69 01-10-2021 12:50 AM

Reposting it to the top!

wesmigletz 01-10-2021 04:02 PM

I just ordeed the strips from HD. I was reminded when I saw your post on FB the other day. Thanks again for sharing.

Blazerowner 01-10-2021 07:59 PM

This is great. Thanks for the write up.

68panelman 01-10-2021 09:35 PM

Perfect alternative

mcmlxix 04-28-2022 03:56 PM

Looks great!

CG 04-28-2022 06:00 PM

Thats really thinking out of the box, nice job. I work at Lowes and I see those all the time, I had no idea they were Blazer parts haha!

Blazerowner 04-28-2022 06:24 PM

Just to add to this that these are reproduced. Not to take away from this option, but you can pick these up from Motor City k5.

https://www.motorcityk5.com/i-13858-...=category:9936

52napco 05-01-2022 09:06 AM

That worked great..was going to send mine out to be chromed for $825 thanks for the heads up.

a1vintage69 05-01-2022 10:05 AM

I got another Blazer last month and didn't look to see if the chrome strips were there. I just went out and looked, wow they are present. It's a good feeling to find them just like when a found the spid in the console.

harrij4 05-02-2022 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blazerowner (Post 9072777)
Just to add to this that these are reproduced. Not to take away from this option, but you can pick these up from Motor City k5.

That's awesome! (And definitely new since I created my knockoffs). Motorcityk5 just keeps making great parts!

Blazerowner 05-02-2022 11:04 PM

I agree. I think these are made in the USA as well. Good to have these options for sure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by harrij4 (Post 9074402)
That's awesome! (And definitely new since I created my knockoffs). Motorcityk5 just keeps making great parts!

A1971Blazer 05-03-2022 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blazerowner (Post 9072777)

These cost less than I paid to have an original set re-chromed..