The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   blinker in dash stays on (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=45191)

71Custom10 03-19-2003 01:57 AM

blinker in dash stays on

Whenever I turn my lights on the left blinker indicator in the dash comes on but it shines real dim. When you turn the blinker on it goes out and the blinker functions normally. Turn it off and the light is on again. Where do I start?
Andrew

HotRod929 03-19-2003 02:03 AM

Same thing is happening to me except with my right blinker. I think it might have something to do with a bad ground but i dont know cus I havnt had time to look at it. Let me knoe if you find anything out please.

HotRod

mtdave2 03-19-2003 02:52 AM

yep somehthing is grounding.. prob in the buld connector.. take the bulb out and look at it..lol

skyhawk1 03-19-2003 06:57 AM

IMO you need a better ground on the front park lights. I had the same problem. I used a short piece of wire and a couple of stake-ons and ran a ground wire from one of the bolts that holds the park light in place over to the radiator support. Havn't had any problems since.

Lippyp 03-19-2003 07:11 AM

Check your floor mounted dimmer switch. They tend t get wet a corrode and cause all sorts of dash related electrical problems. Clean up the mounting area on the floor for it and replace it if it is looking ropey.

Blue Beard 03-19-2003 09:09 AM

You've got a ground problem for sure......mine was doing the same thing, left turn signal.

After a total run down of the entire system, under the dash and the hood. finally found the positive cable was almost burnt in half......

Good luck, tracing these are hard work.....

TROYLV 03-19-2003 10:00 AM

blinker light

check your bulbs. one of the filaments in a bulb is making contact on the park ligh filamentin that bulb. had this happen before.

Long Knight 03-19-2003 12:12 PM

I'm sure I will have this problem soon. I noticed the other day that i can see all the wires going to the rear through the vent holes (thanks to the rust fairy) in my rockers. Only a matter of time before some big chunk of something falls off and trys to take the wiring with it.

krazy_texan 03-19-2003 11:10 PM

i have the same prob with this but on the right side, i have good grounds but am going to rewire the whole truck soon so i am going to deal with it for the time being and also when i turn on my brights i loose my dash lights, do you guys have that prob?

71Custom10 03-22-2003 02:03 PM

I noticed the other night when I was following somebody that I could see my parking light in their bumper but the blinker wasn't working. I checked the bulb and it looked ok, but I replaced it anyway and the light doesn't satay on anymore.
Thanks,
Andrew

Longhorn Man 03-23-2003 01:53 AM

71Custom hit the nail on the head.
When this happens, the first thing to look at is your turn signal bulbs. This i the way GM used to set them up to inform you there is a bulb burned out.

TROYLV 03-23-2003 06:06 AM

blinker

i must be invisable on here. duh............. read my post. maybe i'll just let everyone figure out there own problems from here out. if anyone would like to know how this happens, ask and i'll explain it. by the way when you have a turn signal bulb burnt out it will not flash at all at the dash indicater. i can explain this also no gm didn't desiegn this ether, the flasher manufacturer did and it is this way in almost all older cars and trucks.

A.P. 03-23-2003 09:09 AM

Check your grounds. I had this problem with my right blinker. There wasn't good ground on my front blinker on the bumper.

Longhorn Man 03-23-2003 01:53 PM

Troy, i was just adding to your responce. The filaments do not need to be touching in order to cause his. You can remove a bulb all together and it will cause the same fault.
I was unsure that anyone else did this too. Good to know info.

TROYLV 03-23-2003 05:51 PM

blinker

sorry longhorn, i was to quick to jump. just ain't been a good week. blood sugar is up- got the flu- and some dumb a$$ calls at 1:30 in the morning. wouldn't be so bad, but sincei didn't answer first time she does it 5 more times. finaly get out of bed, expecting maybe one of my family is hurt - i get "is john there"? no john here. might as well stay up now. 2:30- again "is john there"--no its still the wrong number. oh, sorry- yea so am i. i get up early, but thats to early. bad part of being in a 24 hr. town i guess. sorry guy

Longhorn Man 03-24-2003 12:00 AM

no problem man.