The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   C-30 no crank still, fresh starter, Where is the NSS? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=777060)

hugger6933 12-11-2018 09:48 PM

C-30 no crank still, fresh starter, Where is the NSS?

I suspect the way my truck is acting it seems like a Neutral safety switch so where is it. Before you race to tell me it is on the column down by the firewall, my truck is a granny low 4 speed manual trans. Thanks in advance for the help I'm drawing a blank

hugger6933 12-11-2018 10:00 PM

Re: C-30 no crank still, fresh starter, Where is the NSS?

Ok so no NSS on the 4 speed trucks, is there a clutch switch or something? What keeps the truck from cranking with the clutch not pushed or the truck in gear. Isnt there some kind of power interrupter of some sort dealing with the clutch pedal?

AussieinNC 12-11-2018 10:14 PM

Try looking up on the clutch pedal...but it may have been removed....

Push and hold the clutch pedal down then try to crank...

If still no crank, start from the basics...

Make sure trans is in Neutral...and park brake applied

Run a small clip on lead from the Solenoid terminal on the starter and tap the other end of lead to a positive battery source...starter motor should crank, if not, check ground strap battery to engine and engine to chassis.

Get it to crank this way first...then go to next step.

Remove ignition switch from dash, keeping plug attached to the switch...

Turn ignition on and check for 12V battery terminal on switch...

Turn switch to Start,,,check for 12 v on Sol terminal...

If both are ok...run a temporary lead from Sol terminal on switch to Solenoid on Starter...

Turn ign switch to crank and engine should crank...

If yes...you have a wiring loom issue...

In most cases the NSS fails internally....you can bypass it and leave the temp lead in place..

Let us know how you go..

:chevy::gmc2::chevy::gmc2::chevy:

AussieinNC 12-12-2018 08:26 PM

One of the most common areas of failure in the loom is the cabin to engine bay connector plug...drivers side near the hood hinge...

They corrode badly....

Just a suggestion...

:chevy::gmc2::chevy::gmc2::chevy:

oldgold70c10 12-12-2018 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hugger6933 (Post 8403796)
I suspect the way my truck is acting it seems like a Neutral safety switch so where is it. Before you race to tell me it is on the column down by the firewall, my truck is a granny low 4 speed manual trans. Thanks in advance for the help I'm drawing a blank

These do not have any safety switches. Trace the purple wire from the starter to the ignition switch. It might be in the harness or it might be the ignition switch.
If the purple wire looks discolored at the back of the switch, it is likely the switch or plug.

towbar 12-12-2018 09:41 PM

don't overlook fusible links...chased my tail for a while because of a failed link.

El Dorado Jim 12-13-2018 09:05 PM

sub'd