The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Throttle Return Spring (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=683955)

tdangle 09-30-2015 11:37 PM

Throttle Return Spring

OK, I just finished rebuilding my quadrajet and in cleaning things up before reinstalling on the engine, I see my dad really mickey-moused the return spring. Is it suppose to hook behind the carb or stretch to the front as he had it. Also where is the best place to find a new spring as this setup had 2 rusted complete springs and 1 broken spring.

Also the rear studs for the carb mount have the nuts frozen to them. When I removed the carb the studs came out. Replace with bolts or find new studs?

I have a stock 70 stock 350 with auto trans. The linkage is not a cable but a linkage.

Gromit 09-30-2015 11:53 PM

Re: Throttle Return Spring

1 Attachment(s)
My return spring looked like this - but its a Holley 4160 not the same of course

Looks as if the spring anchor that mounts to my manifold bolt is a factory part but this is the best photo I have of it at the moment so don't know for sure..

Hope that helps - I do believe it is good to have the double springs installed in case one breaks and your throttle sticks open just as you are pulling up to the In-N-Out burger drive through line...

(please see photo attached)

FirstOwner69 10-01-2015 12:22 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are 3 pictures of my totally original 69 with a Q-Jet and 350. Unfortunately the spring is partially obscured by the TH400 kick down switch. The spring attaches at the rear to a hook on the coil bracket.

Edit: Added 3rd picture.

hamjet 10-01-2015 06:27 AM

As far as studs, if you can't get the nut off to clean up the threads, NAPA has the studs . thats where I got mine..

Mr Handy 10-01-2015 07:23 AM

I would definitely replace the carb studs, you should be able to get them at any parts store. Just bring the old ones to get the correct length.

The same goes for the return springs. Grab a couple different springs at the parts store and see which ones fit your setup best. I try to find a place to attach the springs to provide opposite pressure to the throttle linkage. I like the dual springs with the big outer and small inner spring. Normally there is a tab with a spring mounting point on one of the brackets for the coil or trans kick-down or another bracket on the manifold... There is also a tab on the water neck, if original, for a spring mount.

tdangle 10-01-2015 09:59 AM

Thanks for the replies. I get some new studs for the back carb mounting and now know how to hook up the return spring.

ARC190 10-01-2015 10:39 AM

I've got a bracket for the throttle cable that mounts to the back carb stud. The spring goes from throttle to that bracket. I haven't found anything short enough to replace my current spring. All the people at parts stores can't believe someone would fail to upgrade to an aftermarket. LMC's spring was even 1/2 inch too long.

tdangle 10-01-2015 11:28 AM

That's my next issue finding the correct spring length. And I was just thinking that since I'm going to upgrade to an HEI dust I won't be able to use the spring attachment on the coil. 70s used a linkage not a cable otherwise I'd have the bracket to attach to

cdowns 10-01-2015 11:36 AM

I buy springs at ace hardware ame thing with studs and nuts too

tdangle 10-01-2015 12:07 PM

Great idea cdowns! Not someplace I would have thought of.

70's luvr 10-01-2015 12:29 PM

Half my truck fasteners are from Ace.

slikside 10-01-2015 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Handy (Post 7326040)
I would definitely replace the carb studs, you should be able to get them at any parts store. Just bring the old ones to get the correct length.

The same goes for the return springs. Grab a couple different springs at the parts store and see which ones fit your setup best. I try to find a place to attach the springs to provide opposite pressure to the throttle linkage. I like the dual springs with the big outer and small inner spring. Normally there is a tab with a spring mounting point on one of the brackets for the coil or trans kick-down or another bracket on the manifold... There is also a tab on the water neck, if original, for a spring mount.

This is what I used as well. Good redundancy for a critical safety item. I found mine at O'Reillys. (It had F*$% Motor Company on the package, but don't tell anyone!:lol:) Fit perfect, works good.