The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Torque specs on lug nuts? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=303404)

djw32 08-18-2008 05:17 PM

Torque specs on lug nuts?

What are the torque specs on lug nuts?

15" factory wheels

Thanks, David

michael bustamante 08-18-2008 06:12 PM

Re: Torque specs on lug nuts?

95 pounds I think but im sure someone will claify this for me

Senator350 08-18-2008 06:15 PM

can i just ask why?

djw32 08-18-2008 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senator350 (Post 2853912)
can i just ask why?

Because I have no idea what the specs are.

Senator350 08-18-2008 06:26 PM

i have never seen anyone actually torque them specifically. everyone i've ever seen just tightens them as much as they can... within reason

Sinister 08-18-2008 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senator350 (Post 2853928)
i have never seen anyone actually torque them specifically. everyone i've ever seen just tightens them as much as they can... within reason

X2 :chevy:

Stocker 08-18-2008 09:13 PM

95 is spec on my Jeep with aluminum wheels. I am kinda picky about wheel care and warped brake discs, so I torque them every time -- as I do on our Tacoma. On the K20, I just tighten 'em with the four-way....

michael bustamante 08-19-2008 10:05 AM

porsche, BMW and Toyota are all 95 pounds. Of course these are all aluminum wheels with disk brakes. I torque mines to 95 on the truck also simply out of habit

Green Machine 08-19-2008 10:15 AM

It really depends on the stud size - here's a link - http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/...jsp?techid=107

463 08-19-2008 10:18 AM

100 foot lbs with a cris cross or star pattern on the 5 bolt. then retork at apx 50 miles again.

Arad68 08-19-2008 10:24 AM

Torquing the lug nuts provides an even force on the wheel and disc/drum. It will also prevent damage to your wheel. It is also recommended that you lightly grease the wheel stud as well.

Here is a reference...one of many if you google Lug nut torque specs.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/...jsp?techid=107

piecesparts 08-19-2008 10:29 AM

I torque my lug nuts on my truck wheels to 100 lbs. religiously.

djw32 08-19-2008 11:17 AM

To everyone,
Thanks for the links and opinions.

David

chris71 08-19-2008 11:45 AM

yeah, i grease my studs ( i can hear the jokes now) every once and a while, make taking them off and putting them on alot easier, i just use disc brake grease, but i can see how adding some grease will help to eaven out the torque

Andy4639 08-20-2008 12:59 PM

Here is the torque.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/..._truck_010.jpg

ETsC10 07-07-2010 12:05 AM

Yup, I do my '68 C-10 at 70-75#.
Just caught the tire shop today (IN TIME-whew)
beginning to use an impact wrench on my wheels.
Half ton 6-lug rotors are spendy.

Longhorn Man 07-07-2010 04:24 PM

anti-seize or never seize is better to use on the studs than grease.
I have never seen an old school rotor or drum, nor a steel wheel get damaged from impacts, even the mega monster torque impacts they make these days.

Fitz 07-07-2010 05:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Torque specs are independent of application. They are based upon fastener material, fastener diameter and grade so, here is a handy table for steel (not Stainless) that is good for every application:

treveiger 07-13-2010 12:39 AM

You really dont need specs the chances of hurting anything are pretty rare i use a impact on everything including my atv an i lug those things on tight an never had any problems.

gixxerpymp 07-13-2010 01:03 AM

lol at being worried about specs. I worked at a tire shop for 2 years and never had a complaint about anything. Just used the impact.

GMJimmy 01-28-2016 01:52 PM

Old thread I know but....You impact gun guys are dinosaurs. Improper wheel torque can lead to several problems with the most prevalent being eventual lateral runout of rotors and pulsation of your brakes. Axles too can be distorted from improper torque. It's not really a matter of too tight or too loose but the inconsistency from lug to lug that causes the problem. Do you think engineers dream this stuff up to sell torque wrenches? I watch Powerblock TV on Sunday mornings and Ian from the Extreme 4X4 uses an impact gun for everything and people watching him think this is ok. Wheel nut torque is NOT dependent upon the size of the lug because torque for my 20 inch aluminum wheels on my 2006 Silverado is 125 ft.lbs. If I put my 17 inch steel rims on for the winter the torque spec is 90 ft.lbs. Why? Because 125 ft.lbs will pull the lug nut through the rim under stress. Torque specs can be ignored for a cross member bolt or maybe exhaust hangers and the like but running gear needs to be properly torqued to avoid problems.

dell72 01-28-2016 02:03 PM

I had a wheel fall off my 03 2500 HD because a tire shop used an impact instead of torquing the lugs. I always used the OEM torque specs. Another thing to add is lubricating studs/lugs. I spoke to a Rep. from the loctite company who specifically stated not use anti seize on lug nuts. It is ok to use on the wheel mounting flange but for lug nuts/studs he recommended light oil or grease.

davepl 01-28-2016 03:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Senator350 (Post 2853928)

Yeah. I thought that way once too. Now I use a torque wrench and look in the book for the actual correct spec.

Overtorquing will keep them on, but it'll bend and warp rotors, damage lug nuts, and so on. Actually I use an impact with a torque stick and have been verifying with a torque wrench afterwards, but they're been within 3 ftlbs with the torque sticks, so I'm starting to trust them.

Using an impact without a torque stick is, well, bush-league. If I caught a shop doing that to my car I'd certainly never take any work back there.

The following carnage happened because the seller (I was the buyer) swapped wheels right before selling it and didn't torque them, I guess. Since I don't normally retorque the wheels as soon as I buy a car, you see what happened. Now I check lug nut torque!

On the plus side, Hagerty located an NOS fender, door skin, rotor, and spindle. How I don't know, but they got all NOS parts for me.

hugger6933 01-28-2016 06:27 PM

Use German torque on them. Goodentight. Just kidding also the torque thing is most important on alloy wheels they need to be rechecked after a drive of just about any distance at all. I have had and seen more than one wheel run off because the wheel should have been rechecked and wasn't. Mostly though that applies to the alloy type wheels. Jim

GMJimmy 01-31-2016 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris71 (Post 2854903)
yeah, i grease my studs ( i can hear the jokes now) every once and a while, make taking them off and putting them on alot easier, i just use disc brake grease, but i can see how adding some grease will help to eaven out the torque

Putting grease on a wheel stud is a HUGE NONO. Wheel torque is derived not just from lug stretch like a head bolt etc. but also by the friction from the tapered contact of the nut and the wheel. Taking the friction component out of the equation by getting grease on the tapered portion will over torque the lug. To prove a point I greased a lug nut and stud and watched a non believer tighten it with a click type torque wrench and never got it to click (set at 60 lbs.). He snapped all 5 studs and never reached the 60 lb. spec. There are specific styled lug nuts designed without a taper that are for non hub centric applications and these are usually torqued to their own manufactures spec. Problem is most of these chromed lug nuts are made in China and India and do not come with torque values and instructions.

There are things to wave your hand at and say that's BS and isn't necessary and I'll agree to some of those but I don't understand how a guy can ignore the safety aspect of putting wheels on your vehicle and loading your kids in it and driving at 70 mph without paying attention to proper mechanics and do it right. I think the ONLY reason we don't see more accidents is the engineers have over engineered these parts to allow for the uninformed back yard mechanic.

Be safe and do it right.