The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Frame bent, what to do? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=360698)

evilways 09-01-2009 08:29 PM

Frame bent, what to do?

5 Attachment(s)
Ok so I came across this 71 c10 frame and a cab, mainly I needed the cab due to the cancer mine has. Since the frame is a five lug disc short bed I grabbed it too. Now you can see in the pics from the spring mounts back it is twisted, the rest of the frame is square and true. Obviously the rust around the spring mount caused it to be weak and due to a rear end accident I presume this happened. Now comes the question of is it fixable or should I say price wise is it fixable, I’m a poor guy here. I really would like to start building my second c10, this one a short bed compared to my current long bed step that I drive daily.

I would take it to a local body shop to see if it is worth doing, but as you can see I am still in need of a rear axle and that makes it fun to move. So I thought you guys could put some info in before I get too excited about having a shorty to work with. Any info appreciated so let it roll, I’m all ears.

evilways 09-01-2009 08:30 PM

Re: Frame bent, what to do?

3 Attachment(s)
More

mbgmike 09-01-2009 08:34 PM

I would get another frame. We just sold one for $100.00 .
Frame shops charge $98.00 per hr

big_al_71 09-01-2009 08:42 PM

from looking at the picts I would see if I could get the frame redone what I mean is to cut it and make my own back half just a thought I think it could be done but then again is just an idea. Try the link below it kind of gives you an idea of what I am talking about...
http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/show....php?p=2617378

truckdude239 09-01-2009 08:50 PM

thrash it its junk you can get a used on not bent for like 100 buxs around here

Hottrucks 09-01-2009 09:16 PM

being from the poor part of town too...I would

grind off all the rivits and see whats left then thinking forward about what I wanted my next truck to be and do make decition from there....you could
clip it and make a new frame and pro street it, you could pull it back down and box it (probably what I would do) or buy a notch kit and build it in......

anyway what you want your next truck to be should be your first choice but by the looks of things...pro street beater looks like the easy thing to do and you could build it around what ever axle and wheel combo you can find cheap at the swap meet as long as the tires where big and wide......then you can cup your own lower control arms throw some bags under it and have some fun

just my $.02

Longhorn Man 09-01-2009 09:32 PM

ummm, i'd consider trashing it just due to the rust building up like that. And this coming from a midwestern guy... not a spoiled southwestern guy.

Jim_PA 09-01-2009 10:58 PM

I got a free 67 frame that's less rusty than that, and straight as an arrow... I'm going to ditch it for another.

I consider my time working on something like this to be free, but at the same time, you have to draw the line, and let some things go. Like this frame for example.

Green Machine 09-02-2009 01:15 AM

Frame is gone, get a better one, mainly the rust problem, but the bend trashes it for sure. That is the foundation for your build, and you want it right, hate to put $$$ into a truck on a bad frame.

bigsnookmaster 09-02-2009 11:28 AM

If the frame rust stops there, you could clip it with another the same way guy's do it when they make a long bed frame a short. My .02:chevy:

evilways 09-02-2009 01:39 PM

Sorry for not adding the pics of the rest of the frame. The rest looks very good. Worst case at least I can use the five lug disc set up off the front, although I am thinking about some of the others guy suggestions.

Thanks for the info and ideas, as always.

71tahoe 09-02-2009 02:30 PM

I think a step notch would cure that. Measure twice, cut once.

leddzepp 09-02-2009 03:01 PM

If you keep it, plan on taking it to a frame shop and paying $300-$500 to get it aligned.

BAGNDRAGIT 09-02-2009 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Longhorn Man (Post 3497084)
ummm, i'd consider trashing it just due to the rust building up like that. And this coming from a midwestern guy... not a spoiled southwestern guy.

hey, were not that spoiled!!!! just lucky. at least its not 120 degrees there :lol:

surfacerust 09-07-2009 12:45 PM

You are not allowed to sell you parts here. Because you are not a subscribed member.