The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   LSx Swaps (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=206)
-   -   engine rebuild? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=808546)

prodjay10 07-01-2020 03:35 PM

engine rebuild?

My engine runs great, good oil pressure, doesn't burn oil, no misfires, and as far as I can tell it doesn't leak anymore oil. But I've noticed that it wasn't maintained very well because of quite a bit of sludge buildup and it's starting to develop a slight lifter tick that goes away after about a minute. I can either leave it alone, or buy the lifters and replace gaskets, or I can buy a rebuild kit and replace everything.

If I go the rebuild route, I was thinking getting a kit on rock auto with all standard sizes, taking the block and heads to a machine shop, have them hot tank them, install cam bearings, hone cylinders, and polish crank. Then I'd install/replace everything else myself.

Does this sound reasonable? What would you suggest? I have most all tools needed except maybe any gauges to measure clearances.

tinydb84 07-01-2020 04:15 PM

Re: engine rebuild?

How many miles are on it? Do you have good compression?

Assuming no major issues I would run it and do a few oil changes. Maybe run an engine flush through it right before the oil change. You can always rebuild it down the road if you have issues later.

LS short box 07-01-2020 04:16 PM

What year and size of LS engine?

AussieinNC 07-01-2020 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prodjay10 (Post 8767267)
My engine runs great, good oil pressure, doesn't burn oil, no misfires, and as far as I can tell it doesn't leak anymore oil. But I've noticed that it wasn't maintained very well because of quite a bit of sludge buildup and it's starting to develop a slight lifter tick that goes away after about a minute. I can either leave it alone, or buy the lifters and replace gaskets, or I can buy a rebuild kit and replace everything.

If I go the rebuild route, I was thinking getting a kit on rock auto with all standard sizes, taking the block and heads to a machine shop, have them hot tank them, install cam bearings, hone cylinders, and polish crank. Then I'd install/replace everything else myself.

Does this sound reasonable? What would you suggest? I have most all tools needed except maybe any gauges to measure clearances.

Are we talking about an LS engine?

If so, IMHO, leave it alone, change the oil and filter and use 5W 20 oil in it...

After a couple of oil changes you will notice the ticking will reduce.

You can remove the rocker covers and hand scrape the sludge away from the engine surfaces....sludge builds up over time when oil is not changed at correct intervals.

:chevy::chevy::chevy:

prodjay10 07-01-2020 04:29 PM

2002 5.3L. Not sure of compression.

Thanks for the replies. I did scrape/wash the surfaces I could get too but looks like there’s more in places I can’t get to.

I’ll try your suggestions.
Posted via Mobile Device

prodjay10 07-01-2020 05:50 PM

Not sure of miles either.
Posted via Mobile Device

kipps 07-01-2020 09:18 PM

Regardless, if the motor conks out on you, it will be cheaper to replace it with a good used engine, instead of rebuilding that one.

Consider the longblock to be a throw-away item. $300 should get you a sub-150k mile bare engine. You won't even touch a rebuild for that price.

prodjay10 07-01-2020 09:48 PM

About $600 here. Maybe a little more with that low of miles n
Posted via Mobile Device

gmc684x4 07-02-2020 01:58 AM

Run her put seafoam in it help wash out the crud
If compression is good oil pressure good seafoam it

I cleaned the crud out of a few 70s 350s regasket and drive em like i stole them for several years

americanmusc1e 07-04-2020 01:32 PM

if it's got good oil pressure, decent compression. and it's not leaking I'd just run it. Change the oil more often than necessary the first few times.