View Single Post
Old 12-02-2014, 04:35 PM   #18
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Re: Finally starting my Longhorn 4x4 conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanroo View Post
there are different kinds of strong depending on what you want from the truck. with the high levels of available torque and possibility of high traction high loads situations(i.e. Ryan recklessly attaches his truck to pulling sled...) it is possible to walk the gears in a 205 and since they are cast iron, the case gives a bow and takes a hike. the more modern aluminum cased, chain drive cases handle the torque better in those circumstances. with that kind of power potential and a suspension that gives no slack, it could make the 205 open its guts to the daylight. for a normal truck i would never fear the 205. they have been ruthlessly beaten for years and they seem to always work.

i didnt realize how hot rod you went on that rh. thatll be fun to drive
Yeah, I went almost all out on this trans. I wanted to be able to take it to the local strip and beat on it and also beat on it on the street. That was the original plan. That plan has been flawed and keeps changing. The NP205 is a band-aid until I do the front air ride. Maybe this truck will get it, maybe it will be the next build?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6BT 56 View Post
Looken good . Nice to see some pics up again. That really is a bad ass trans . What trans is in my newly accuired 93 2500 4x4 ? It just came into the shop so i can get to work on it . If my wife gets stuck in the lane now that i took her 4x4 burb away im going to hear abt it.

Keep up the good work .
Your 93 more than likely has an A518. It is a 727 with an overdrive basically, with some upgrades. They are non lock up, which is the biggest difference from the 47rh's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972K20 View Post
Hey, great job with this build. I've been reading because I'm wanting to do a Cummins swap too.

Can you tell me more about the water inlet you have? I've seen most guys modify the frame rail for it to clear. Can the industrial water inlet that you have be installed on any of these 12V Cummins? I like the idea of it fitting without the added mods to the frame.
Thanks! I ditched the industrial inlet when I put the 24v in it. The industrial inlet put the lower radiator hose too low and would have required a lot of elbows to get it up over the frame rail. I used a dodge style lower inlet and also modified the frame to use the dodge a/c comp. It is tight but clears. I doubt I would do this again though. I prefer the F700 a/c mount and bracket. I was short on money when I did this one and went with what I had available. When I do the next 67-72 it will probably get an auto world type a/c comp mount and vintage air.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote