The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > Diesel Conversions

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-02-2014, 12:16 AM   #11
1972K20

Re: Finally starting my Longhorn 4x4 conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Thanks! Yeah, I did set it in pretty low, but that is because I wanted plenty of clearance for exhaust and around the firewall for the bell housing. My biggest intent for setting it so low is I plan on putting a P-pumped 24v with twin turbos in it before spring. It is in my friend's truck right now until he gets his newly rebuilt 12v fixed. The color is actually chevy orange. It was pretty funny last weekend I had a couple of guys ask what 6 cylinder it was because it was so dang big. As for the water inlet, I have an industrial one that points down going straight out forward of the engine. I have some elbows I am going to weld to it and I have a formed hose that will connect to the radiator. The radiator is another issue. I only have 4 core radiators for 73-87's, and they are too tall to fit right in the 67-72 supports. However, I did set one in there and the hood will shut, so I'm thinking about modifying the stock 4 core mounts to use the later radiator. I have been searching for a stock 4 core with no luck, and don't really have the extra cash to buy one right now. I have to decide how bad I want a D80 in the rear of this, and I'm really leaning on going that direction.
Hey, great job with this build. I've been reading because I'm wanting to do a Cummins swap too.

Can you tell me more about the water inlet you have? I've seen most guys modify the frame rail for it to clear. Can the industrial water inlet that you have be installed on any of these 12V Cummins? I like the idea of it fitting without the added mods to the frame.
1972K20 is offline   Reply With Quote