View Single Post
Old 01-03-2015, 08:52 PM   #28
CRGRS 66

Re: I'm COLD. NEED HEAT. GOING MAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevota View Post
also if your truck over heats when it shouldnt ( like with a 195 t stat in 20 deg weather), then i would check for a possible water pump problem, or i have seen bad head gaskets/ cracked heads cause no cab heat and over heating. The cooling system pressurizes and that can restrict flow. That usually also has other sytpoms like leaks etc

My 65 with basic heater is rarely off of first or second fan speed cause the cab is so hot
water pump may be an issue that would prudent to diagnose, as you state with the 195 tstat you are running hotter than you are comfortable running, and yet you are not getting enough heat in the cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figuarus View Post
The basic air box does not have a controllable flap to direct air. The only heat on/off is a flap in the plenum that closes and doesn't allow heat to be directed into the cab. The true heat on/off option heaters had a valve inline with the 5/8ths hose and had a cable that opened and closed it.

I'm going to swap out the core later today, and if it's not a significant improvement, I will end up modifying the box to allow air to be pulled in from around the passenger side exhaust manifold.

All that waste heat has to be good for SOMETHING, right?
KJSR, I will call you up sometime this next week, or next weekend.

thanks for the offer!
IMHO that trying to capture heat from the exhaust manifold would A) not be practical
, B) may capture more cold air in the process anyway, and most importantly C) if the problem is the water pump, or some other cooling system component, modifying the heater box would be redundant.

Let us know what the result is of changing the heater core.

My build thread, CRGRS 66 Winter Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...09#post5638709
CRGRS 66 is offline   Reply With Quote