View Single Post
Old 09-16-2016, 02:33 PM   #31
Mrturner1

Re: Diagnosing a misfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
Odds are your compression test will be fine then, but still worth doing. You've been washing the cylinder walls for a while with extra gasoline, so it's worth checking just to know.

Remember to disconnect the coil and block the throttle open to get accurate readings.

My big block puts out 160psi, so somewhere in that 140-175 range is probably right. Be better if you had a fresh baseline from when it was new to compare to, but at least now you'll have some kind of baseline (don't throw away the results, because you might want to compare to them in 3 years).

Maybe this will afford me a chance to finally use my cool starter button that I got for setting lash but then found out it's better to hand crank the engine lol I got a Bosch compression checker, hoping that's a decent brand tool. The rotohammers I've used were always great so I figured the Bosch one would be a good tool. I think after work today I'll get a good vacuum gauge too, I keep hearing that guys tune Holleys with one so I better add that to my tool collection. It's funny now that I think about it, my first thread a looong time ago when I was trying to identify what can I had, my tool set consisted of basic box wrenches and a socket set in one of those 100 peice tool kits lol now I have all kinds of pullers and timing lights, every depth and diameter gauge there is, and all kinds of other crap. I never thought I'd end up with all that stuff and know how to use it.
Mrturner1 is offline   Reply With Quote