The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-30-2011, 11:52 PM   #1
coyote72

My Monster problem

I have a brand new monster 700r4 trans in my '72 Blazer. Dealing with the guys at monster was great before the sale and when I called with a few questions during the install, they were helpful. Once the TV cable was dialed in I was extreemly happy, except with the WOT shift points. They told me I could 'shave' some weight off the governor and try that. I decided to see how it towed our travel trailer before I changed the governor, and thats where the problem started. I started to smell trans fluid on the freeway and soon enough I saw smoke. Upon pulling over I could see fluid was comming out of the vent on top. The trans was not over full, even when hot, but I thought the added load of the trailer made it hot enough, so I drained about a quarter of a quart and got back on the road. about another 30 miles and the grade steepened and smoke again, so I pulled over and heard what seemed to be fluid boiling in the pan. I turned around and headed down the hill and camped close by for the weekend. Driving home after the weekend the trans functioned fine, though it was down hill all the way home. After waiting a week for a call back, or and email response, I finally got through to someone. They told me that it is "normal for fluid to spew out of the vent when towing, and to pull over and let it cool off after a while". Are you kidding me?! He told me to recheck fluid level and keep on driving. I went to a local trans shop, they said to pull the pan and see what it looked like. When I did there was metal shavings and the filter was not plugged in. The fluid smelled burnt and looked metallic. The local trans shop said that even if I had the TV cable wrong, there would not be metal in the pan, and that this is the 4th monster trans they have seen like this! I can understand a possible trans failure, but a BS response from there tech dept. is unacceptable. Any suggestions ?

70 Nova 454 5spd 4-link
coyote72 is offline   Reply With Quote