The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-01-2009, 04:58 PM   #1
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Lessons I have learned on swapping cabs onto my 63.

I posted two days ago about the 62 cab I got to put onto my 63 truck project. That post is HERE

A couple of things came up that I thought I would warn you folks about when doing this swap...

First, the 60-62 cabs have the hydraulic clutch, my 63 uses the mechanical linkage type. You must bore a large hole in the floorboard for the mechanical rod to pass through, as the 60-62 cabs don't have it. Also, the dual master cylinder/ clutch cylinder unit has a funny cutout in the firewall that you will need to weld up and redrill for the later type of master cylinder. No big deal overall, but you better plan on a few hours work to do these mods.

Second, the front mounts on the 60-62 cab are no where near fitting the 63 frame. You have to relocate the holes for the front mount holes inboard about 6 inches per side to get the bolts in the proper place. You could build a new frame mount to line up with the old cab, but it's much easier to modify the cab instead of the frame.

I will get pictures and exact measurements tomorrow when I get home from work. None of this stuff is too big a deal to overcome, I just wanted to let everyone know that these cabs are no where near directly interchangeable.

Last edited by Tx Firefighter; 08-01-2009 at 05:01 PM.
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote